Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>New From Xikar
irratebass 11:19 AM 03-07-2014
Anyone else get this email?

*taken from the email*

Wireless Hygrometer System, the latest innovation to protect your cigars.
This technology tool makes it possible to monitor the humidity and temperature inside humidors without having to open them.

This wireless remote hygrometer system requires no calibration and can read up to 3 separate remote units in different locations/humidors within a 60 foot range. A major benefit of this product is knowing the temperature and humidity levels without having to open the humidors as often, preventing any dramatic fluctuations.

The user can also set custom high/low alarm alerts to light up or beep when the humidor is not in the optimal range. This system is scientifically developed for accuracy and dependability taking the confusion and guesswork out of humidification. With XIKAR PuroTemp Hygrometer System, the consumer can be confident their cigars are safe.

“XIKAR is thrilled to introduce another humidification product that makes this hobby stress-free and more user-friendly,” said Kurt Van Keppel, CEO and Founder of XIKAR. “The PuroTemp Hygrometer System takes the guess work out of storing your cigars, without even having to leave your seat,” continued Mr. Van Keppel.

Questions regarding this announcement can be directed to Kurt Van Keppel, CEO or VP of Marketing, Chris Geisert.

http://www.xikar.com/products/humidi...-hygro-system/

Looks pretty cool to me, and the price isn't bad either......any thoughts?
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:37 AM 03-07-2014
This looks interesting so I decided to compare it against the Oregon Scientific products that I am currently using.

The RH accuracy of the Xikar is +/- 2%.
The RH accuracy of the Oregon Scientific system is +/- 1%.

The cost for the Xikar base station is $79.99.
The cost for the Oregon Scientific base ("Weather 300") is $59.99.

The cost for the Xikar sensors is $39.99.
The cost for the Oregon Scientific sensors is $39.99.

For most people the difference in accuracy would not be an issue so it would likely come down to cost. Oregon Scientific has been building these things for years, so I would tend to continue to use their products. Just my :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 11:48 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
This looks interesting so I decided to compare it against the Oregon Scientific products that I am currently using.

For most people the difference in accuracy would not be an issue so it would likely come down to cost. Oregon Scientific has been building these things for years, so I would tend to continue to use their products. Just my :-)
Interesting, never heard of Oregon Scientific Sensors.....right now I use beads and I'm happy
[Reply]
Lockspur 12:23 PM 03-07-2014

Is this similar?

http://www.oregonscientificstore.com...r-Station.data
[Reply]
dijit 12:28 PM 03-07-2014
Either system is top notch. I think the deciding factor for me would be do they both have lifetime warranties? If not is the $20 extra for the Xikar worth the lifetime warranty?
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:21 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Interesting, never heard of Oregon Scientific Sensors.....right now I use beads and I'm happy
I use both beads and OSI hygrometers :-)

Originally Posted by Lockspur:
Is this similar?

http://www.oregonscientificstore.com...r-Station.data
Same vendor, just a different model.

Originally Posted by dijit:
Either system is top notch. I think the deciding factor for me would be do they both have lifetime warranties? If not is the $20 extra for the Xikar worth the lifetime warranty?
I tried to find info on OS's warranty and was not able to do so -- at least not very quickly. FWIW, I have had my OS hygrometers for 10+ years and they are still working well.

In any case, I am sure both products are good and I was certainly willing to pay a premium for my Xikar cutters and have not been disappointed.
[Reply]
MrClean 05:43 PM 03-07-2014
I love the idea of these, especially for those of us who use coolers. Thanks for the links guys!
[Reply]
mikesr1963 06:11 PM 03-07-2014
:-)
[Reply]
jsnake 11:17 PM 03-07-2014
Stopped by the Xikar offices yesterday and they are working on some really cool stuff. Unfortunately I can't share but keep your eyes open around IPCPR.

I am thinking about buying one of these. I got the same email and can put this to good use. All of their products are backed by their lifetime warranty so to me it is worth it to pay a little extra.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 01:09 PM 03-08-2014
The one thing I like about the Oregon Scientific is that it displays all 3 remote sensor's data at the same time, at least in the model linked in this thread.
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 06:18 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
The one thing I like about the Oregon Scientific is that it displays all 3 remote sensor's data at the same time, at least in the model linked in this thread.
I also like that feature. If you had a large humi or several you could spread them and and see the three different readings all in one place at the same time.

I've known about Oregon Scientific for a while but never really considered using their products to monitor cigars before. It's a cool company.
[Reply]
NeuRon 06:26 PM 03-10-2014
i used the oregon scientific models for years, and they are top notch.. i was always surprised that other cigar accessory related vendors never jumped on this, hehe
[Reply]
restorick 06:11 AM 07-26-2014

I know this is an old thread, but is this the OS unit you're speaking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OREGON-SCIEN...item20e86fa5ac

Thanks,
Rick
[Reply]
Up