Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Arturo Fuente 8-5-8
Flynnster 12:59 PM 03-11-2011
I think I'm in love...

As it is the end of the quarter here at school and beautiful out I decided to have a cigar and read a good book. I decided to go with an Fuente 8-5-8 and boy was it good. The wrapper has a slightly sweet taste too before I lit it up, and quite a tight draw.

Lit up real easy, but there was hardly any smoke and the draw was still tight. Not much flavor either. Sat down, let it rest for a bit and started my book (Stud Terkel). Then after a half an inch or so it was like someone switched my cigar.

The draw opened up, not too easy, but not too hard. And the flavor, oh the flavor, smooth creamy sweetness to it. The aftertaste lasted forever and never went sour. Not Much change in this guy, flavors stayed the same until the final 2 inches or so and it started to get a little harsh.

Overall, an excellent cigar, one that I will be keeping in mind from now on. I don't remember who it was that suggest it, but thanks!!!
[Reply]
kickerb 01:02 PM 03-11-2011
ah, can't beat an ole' 858. a great cigar!
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 01:16 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by kickerb:
ah, can't beat an ole' 858. a great cigar!
:-)...one of my favorite smokes for such a good price.

I agree that there isn't much complexity to these smokes, but as long as you like that sweet, creamy flavor...you can't go wrong. These are also fantastic with a bright mild coffee. :-):-)
[Reply]
Powers 01:20 PM 03-11-2011
Fond memories of that stick. Probably my first really good, premium stick....the rest is history :-)
[Reply]
gravelman 01:21 PM 03-11-2011
Thats awesome...I recently found one a few weeks ago in one of my dad's old toolboxes, and it must've been at least 10 years old, so it is currently in the humi, I don't know if it will be any good, but still a great find. Glad you enjoyed it!!
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 01:50 PM 03-11-2011
TRUE, this is one good stick for the price... :-)
[Reply]
OLS 01:59 PM 03-11-2011
Stay away from the candela wrapper, and to ME, also the maduro, but they are GREAT cigars.
An early staple of mine. Also try the Spanish Lonsdale (DROOL)
More expensive but also worth a few tries, the Short Story (A.F. Hemingway line)
[Reply]
Miket156 02:32 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by :
by OLS:

Stay away from the candela wrapper, and to ME, also the maduro, but they are GREAT cigars. An early staple of mine. Also try the Spanish Lonsdale (DROOL) More expensive but also worth a few tries, the Short Story (A.F. Hemingway line)
Thanks for the heads-up. I was just checking out the prices on the Maduro. Some of the 8-5-8's are rated cigars. Prices aren't top shabby either. :-)

Cheers,

Mike T.
[Reply]
Flynnster 02:57 PM 03-11-2011
If only I had bought 5 of these and one oliva g series. Instead of the other way around. Doh!
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 03:10 PM 03-11-2011
I haven't had the pleasure of trying on the these yet, but thanks for the review...
[Reply]
guitar4001 03:36 PM 03-11-2011
the 858 is an excellent size...a little thinner than a toro. Great stick.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 03:39 PM 03-11-2011
The Maduro 8-5-8 is one of my favorites!
[Reply]
68TriShield 04:00 PM 03-11-2011
The thing about these (Cameroon) for me is,if I were to have one today,it would taste like the first one I ever smoked.

That consistency always amazes me.
[Reply]
Ogre 04:17 PM 03-11-2011
its one of my "Go to" cigars
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 05:07 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
The thing about these (Cameroon) for me is,if I were to have one today,it would taste like the first one I ever smoked.

That consistency always amazes me.

Very ture... Gotta love that QC... :-)
[Reply]
thecatch83 05:18 PM 03-11-2011
I think sometimes (at least for myself) we forget how many good AF cigars there are on the market at very reasonable prices. The 858 is yet another example of this (although certainly not cheap). I really enjoy AF's entry level chateau series and a box of 20 can be had for under $80.00!
[Reply]
OLS 05:28 PM 03-11-2011
Whoa, I am sorry, I never meant to say the maduro is not good, far from it, although that's what I DID
say more or less. I mean that I do not prefer them, I think a lot of what makes them special is the taste
of that natural wrapper. I do not prefer any A.F. maduro wrapped cigars. Others LOVE Em. But the candela,
yes, stay away from that, IME. They are not easy to find anyway.
[Reply]
jcruse64 05:53 PM 03-11-2011
Also love the 858, and in all wrappers. Maduro is a fave, and my first box purchase ever. But I love them all, just depends on what I feel like smoking as to the wrapper. I like the candela wrapper for a really mild cigar with morning coffee occasionally. Sun grown is very good, but so is the camaroon wrapper. Like the rosado also.

The Cuban Beli is another good, sun grown wrapper at a good price point from AF.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 06:02 PM 03-11-2011
Great review, I'll have to add these to my list to try!
[Reply]
ucla695 06:08 PM 03-11-2011
I've truly enjoyed the SGs I've smoked more than the OGs. I haven't smoked a rosado yet.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up