Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>wine forums?
pektel 09:43 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
OK, then, what was?
Well, I think it centered around the main character's midlife crisis. It just happened to be set in wine country. I certainly didn't watch it to be educated on wine.
[Reply]
jmsremax 09:44 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Take off the skirt and start drinking Port! :-)

First investment should be in nice proper wine glasses, a decanter, a few yards of cheese cloth.

World of wine is so huge, it's hard to make a suggestion, but tackling wine country by country, region by region will keep continuity at least.
:-)

Now what exactly is the proper wine glass? My head spins when it comes cab, merlot, port, etc glasses....I currently use something very very close in shape to these (but spent less than half as much):
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/riedel...-glass-(1).asp
Prices are out of control for glassware and I can't justify it for the amount of knowledge and the amount of wine I've had.

Every freaking liquid has an ideal glass....once I started enjoying beers (not shotgunning haha) I was shocked by how many different beer glasses are out there.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 09:59 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by mmblz:
People with interesting hobbies can still be miserable self absorbed know it all pricks.
+9000

As to the question on good wine glasses I use Riedel's Vitis series. Not too expensive but still great quality wine glasses. I am definitely not into wine like some of our other brothers with entire bedrooms filled with wine racks and coolers but I do enjoy a good bottle from time to time. For me, the right drink (whether it be Vodka, Wine or soda) totally enhances a great cigar experience.

A good set of glasses though will go far :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:01 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by darkleeroy:
If you take off your pants and throw in Tequila it's a partay.
I drink Mezcal, right from the bottle... :-)

The hard alcohol drinking is a different animal than wine drinking. Just as beer drinking is different. All have their own mind set and pomp & circumstance.
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 10:02 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
+9000

As to the question on good wine glasses I use Riedel's Vitis series. Not too expensive but still great quality wine glasses. I am definitely not into wine like some of our other brothers with entire bedrooms filled with wine racks and coolers but I do enjoy a good bottle from time to time. For me, the right drink (whether it be Vodka, Wine or soda) totally enhances a great cigar experience.

A good set of glasses though will go far :-)
another good point... i haven't tried but i can't picture pairing a wine with a cigar an easy task like a cigar and a single malt.
[Reply]
T.G 10:03 AM 09-17-2010
Anyone know what the proper glass is for my vintage bottle of Ripple?
[Reply]
markem 10:05 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Anyone know what the proper glass is for my vintage bottle of Ripple?

But not the clear one or the one with the natural nipple. Everyone know that this one preserves the subtle flavors better. Well, everyone who knows as much about ripple as me!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:06 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by darkleeroy:
Now what exactly is the proper wine glass? My head spins when it comes cab, merlot, port, etc glasses....

Every freaking liquid has an ideal glass....once I started enjoying beers (not shotgunning haha) I was shocked by how many different beer glasses are out there.
I couldn't get your link to load, but if it is the Riedel Somm. BDX glass, you are fine for all red wine. Pinot Noir/Burgundy glasses are rounder bowls, but the BDX glass works.

Port glass looks like:

Do you have a decanter and cheesecloth?
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 10:09 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by markem:

But not the clear one or the one with the natural nipple. Everyone know that this one preserves the subtle flavors better. Well, everyone who knows as much about ripple as me!
definitely thought that was something else at first glance.. not used to seeing baby products. :-):-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:10 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel:
another good point... i haven't tried but i can't picture pairing a wine with a cigar an easy task like a cigar and a single malt.
Burgundy, Champagne, Madeira, Sherry, and Port would be my picks for cigars.

The wines picked are the traditional cigar paired wines. Most are highly acidic to clean the mouth and/or have a non-competing flavor profile.

I would not get too fussy on pairing a certain wine to a certain cigar. Use your initial gut instinct and smoke what you like and drink what you got!
[Reply]
T.G 10:10 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by markem:

Sweet. Thanks!

I hope the bottle hasn't turned though.

I guess if it has, I can always mix it with some strong coffee and call it Cripple.
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 10:13 AM 09-17-2010

The wines picked are the traditional cigar paired wines. Most are highly acidic to clean the mouth and/or have a non-competing flavor profile.

I would not get too fussy on pairing a certain wine to a certain cigar. Use your initial gut instinct and smoke what you like and drink what you got!
really? champagne? i would have thought the bubblelies would be kinda weird.. but i guess some pop works with cigars so why not?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:50 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel:
really? champagne? i would have thought the bubblelies would be kinda weird.. but i guess some pop works with cigars so why not?
Sure, Champagne is excellent with cigars. That being said, buy Cremant, Blanc de Blanc from France or Cava from Spain. All three are much less expensive than Champagne of similar quality and you'll enjoy them.
[Reply]
jmsremax 11:18 AM 09-17-2010
I couldn't get your link to load, but if it is the Riedel Somm. BDX glass, you are fine for all red wine. Pinot Noir/Burgundy glasses are rounder bowls, but the BDX glass works.

Port glass looks like:

Do you have a decanter and cheesecloth?

Yes it's the Riedel Sommeliers glasses and no I do not have either a decanter or cheesecloth.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:43 AM 09-17-2010
Just as CA has turned out a ton of cheap Merlot, they have made many excellent ones too. Stags Leap is 1st brand I think of that has great Merlot in general. Merlot as you mentioned is a base grape in BDX. I am fan of Cab Franc too! Not so many are fans of straight Cab Franc wines; leave them for me!

Many of the joke in Sideways probably escaped 90% of the movie goers.
Duckhorn, by far, Merlot was and is their claim to fame, although they branched out lately into, you guessed it, Pinot Noir (Mendocino). Merlot can be great when done right, like anything else. Cab Franc, same as for Merlot, needs decent heat to ripen properly, both sometimes taste green and vegetal when underripe. I am guessing you're drinking Loire Cab Francs? Some are excellent.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:57 AM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by mmblz:
People with interesting hobbies can still be miserable self absorbed know it all pricks.
"Lead by example" seems to be lost in translation...
[Reply]
pnoon 12:54 PM 09-17-2010
"Lead by example" seems to be lost in translation...
I think his post was an attempt to identify the point of the movie.

But if the shoe fits . . . .
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:14 PM 09-17-2010
I am guessing you're drinking Loire Cab Francs? Some are excellent.
Was that really a guess? :-) You bet I am!
[Reply]
pektel 01:16 PM 09-17-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I think his post was an attempt to identify the point of the movie.

But if the shoe fits . . . .
Posted via Mobile Device
zing!
[Reply]
TrickNick 01:21 PM 09-17-2010

Excellent advice from someone that knows his wine!

One of the wine forums I like is http://www.wineberserkers.com
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up