Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 456 7 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Official Shack Herf VIII Beer Tasting Thread
Mikepd 12:27 PM 08-14-2012
So to add to the tasting wagon, I just picked up a growler of some Southern Tier Double Milk Stout. ST Brewing Company is a decent sized brewery which is located closer to shack than to me in New York and produces some wonderful selections of beer. Link below is what I grabbed.

http://www.stbcbeer.com/stbc/our-bee...out-beer-page/
[Reply]
OLS 12:50 PM 08-14-2012
Some people LOVE that Creme Brulee stout from them, some people HATE it. I have never had it , so..... :-)
[Reply]
ToddziLLa 05:25 PM 08-14-2012
<-- this guy would like to participate in any official or unofficial beer tastings. Will bring some good libations to share.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:27 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by ToddziLLa:
<-- this guy would like to participate in any official or unofficial beer tastings. Will bring some good libations to share.
Nice :-)

I got my beers ready: Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree, Dark Horse Perkulator coffee Dopplebock, Brooklyn Black Ops.
[Reply]
Devanmc 06:36 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
+2.

You have to remember that when it really gets rolling, this tasting, if years past are any indication, is a steamroller
of heavy, crafty, hard to find beers. To clear the palate with ANYTHING that is different from the prevailing trend
is pretty damn refreshing. I like motor oil almost as much as the next guy, but I would appreciate ALL entries that
keep me going longer and to me that is something light and refreshing and quality. LORD my beer nipples are getting
hard. And naturally, I am interested to see if you can participate in all these events and still be standing later. :-)
I think this is about as close to a good tasting motor oil I have found. I dont see it changing any time soon.

I pray to the beer gods to get some Black Note Stout this winter. I am not paying 100bucks on ebay for something made miles from my house.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:43 PM 08-14-2012
Expy needs major time in the bottle. Way to hoppy and roasty fresh. Try an aged bottle, 3-5 years, next to a fresh one. Fresh is bitey, lots of hops. I'd still drink a fresh bottle if it was put in front of me. Sometimes I like a super hoppy and roasty stout. The aged bottle is unreal though, smoooooth dark chocolate, espresso, nuts, leather, tobacco. None of which I see in a fresh bottle:-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:46 PM 08-14-2012
If you want motor oil thickness, try Cigar City Hunahpu's Imperial Stout. Makes Bells expy body feel like water.
[Reply]
Devanmc 06:46 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Expy needs major time in the bottle. Way to hoppy and roasty fresh. Try an aged bottle, 3-5 years, next to a fresh one. Fresh is bitey, lots of hops. I'd still drink a fresh bottle if it was put in front of me. Sometimes I like a super hoppy and roasty stout. The aged bottle is unreal though, smoooooth dark chocolate, espresso, nuts, leather, tobacco. None of which I see in a fresh bottle:-)
Ill just bring a 6pack to shack then. I have a sealed case from last year, as you can see.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:49 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
Ill just bring a 6pack to shack then. I have a sealed case from last year, as you can see.
If I were you, I'd take more than a 6 pack. It's really a good beer and don't forget that most people don't have access to it.
[Reply]
Jbailey 07:36 PM 08-14-2012
Got some bells exp put away that's 2 and 3 years old. Just sitting and resting. :-)

One day. :-)

For me just a lot of three Floyd's stuff. Some fresh some a few years old.
Will be going through the cellar tonight and packing. We'll see what ever else I find.
[Reply]
Devanmc 08:19 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
If I were you, I'd take more than a 6 pack. It's really a good beer and don't forget that most people don't have access to it.
now you have me torn!!! I can get expedition year round, as I can walk to Bell's.
[Reply]
coach 07:22 AM 08-15-2012
ok here's my contribution:
2 btls Sam Adams Barrel Room 13th Hour Belgian Stout 9%
Black Butte 23rd Birthday Reserve Porter 8%
The Abyss 2011 Reserve 11%

cya Sat
[Reply]
OLS 08:30 AM 08-15-2012
Oh I am not a fan of motor oil, just saying that we drink a fair share of it during the tasting,
and it is refreshing to occasionally clear the palate with something different. I later read
that the expedition was another stout, so that logic blew away like dust. But some of
what I am bringing is NOT stout. So the opener-meister, usually Hootie, can select the
right bottle for the right round I am confident. More beer nipples just now....Shack Nipples too.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:36 AM 08-15-2012
:-):-)

Wish I was going this year
[Reply]
Devanmc 09:16 AM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
Oh I am not a fan of motor oil, just saying that we drink a fair share of it during the tasting,
and it is refreshing to occasionally clear the palate with something different. I later read
that the expedition was another stout, so that logic blew away like dust. But some of
what I am bringing is NOT stout. So the opener-meister, usually Hootie, can select the
right bottle for the right round I am confident. More beer nipples just now....Shack Nipples too.
My other additions are not stout either. I totally misread you :-)
[Reply]
OLS 11:46 AM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
My other additions are not stout either. I totally misread you :-)
No, you read it exactly right, I was just using a cliche' to blather on.
I DO like the interest I get off of one of those thick-a55 beers, but
you can't drink ALL that, ALL night. I was a little wowwed by one of
those ultra-thick beers last year, didn't know they could DO that.

We'll get it done, man, just be standing when its time. No more 'coffee
table' impressions. :-)
[Reply]
RHNewfie 11:49 AM 08-15-2012
Is there a time set for this? Wouldn't want to miss out!! I hope my Canadian contributions are close to being worthy!
[Reply]
irratebass 01:06 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
Is there a time set for this? Wouldn't want to miss out!! I hope my Canadian contributions are close to being worthy!
Molson Ice eh? :-)
[Reply]
RHNewfie 01:07 PM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by irratebass:
Molson Ice eh? :-)
I was thinking more along the lines of Molson XXX and Labatt 50
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 07:24 PM 08-15-2012
2012 Dark Lord and some other stouts.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 456 7 >