Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Stock market
RichieBklyn 02:23 PM 03-31-2012
Considering the US stock market, specifically the S P 500 just had the best quarter since 1998, do you think it has booked its gain for the year or is it going higher? Who is taking profits who is staying fully invested??? By the way UNG, natural gas at a lifetime low...
[Reply]
jluck 02:51 PM 03-31-2012
I think and hope all the markets continue to grow. And yes I do think there will be continued growth as there has been since inception. There has always been dips but overall they tend to grow. A bunch of my future rides on it.
[Reply]
hotreds 02:59 PM 03-31-2012
It all depends on what happens in November, truthfully.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 03:34 PM 03-31-2012
Trimmed 1\3rd my position is WFC, I have a sell order on BAC I was just trading it anyway. I am a bunch of expousure to the LNG shippers and storage-regasification and I plan on keeping my long position on. I will probably enter some dry bulk shippers soon, as I close some of my finicial positions.

In general I am trimming back for the summer, but I don't think we made our highs of the year yet. JMHO.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 03:47 PM 03-31-2012
I still have a few equities and a smattering of funds, but for the most part I'm out of stocks. IMHO the only reason the market is where it's currently at is because the Federal Reserve keeps pushing it higher via artificially low interest rates and running the presses. If the market is strong due to true economic growth, I'm comfortable being in. If it's strong mainly due to governmental stimulation, I feel better on the sidelines.
[Reply]
maverickdrinker 03:49 PM 03-31-2012
Just sold my apple stock 2 days ago. Looking at Starbucks and Qualcomm. Bullish on the us; took my mutual fund portfolio to 40% in December.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:37 PM 03-31-2012
I wish like hell I knew more about this stuff. We should have a finance subforum. I have some questions....
[Reply]
icehog3 09:47 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by hammondc:
I wish like hell I knew more about this stuff. We should have a finance subforum. I have some questions....
Ask them here? :-)
[Reply]
LostAbbott 09:53 PM 03-31-2012
Yeah ask away brother. We have a lot of smart guys here.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Silound 11:52 PM 03-31-2012
I've got mine about evenly distributed through a couple energy related ETFs and a handful of stocks that are solid companies with regular dividends.

I typically shy away from straight mutual funds...they're "safer" but a decent bit slower; the excessive management fees and regulations mean that they frequently under-perform the market as a whole in any given year.

Remember the key in investing is to -make- money, not break even. If inflation means a dollar today is worth .90 next week, I want to see my dollar today pull more than 11 cents back as a return!
[Reply]
hammondc 07:37 AM 04-01-2012
OK. Here is one. Where should invest about $30k to get a decent return and still have it available if I needed it. Right now it is in a money market, but the return is like $4 a month.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 09:16 AM 04-01-2012
Shippers generally pay a nice dividend. The dry bulk sector also seems to have bottomed so maybe its a decent time to look into NM, or DSX. As I stated earlier, I like the LNG floating storage and re-gasification campanies. I've been long GLNG for over a year, and since this pull back were having, I've been able to add about 30% to my position. It pays out about a 3.5% yeild.

CAT, if it drops below $100 might be attractive as well, but from a macro perspective, I would have a significant portion in cash for the summer, maybe getting long again later.

Also NUE might look attractive if we see a bit of a pullback. GLTA.

:-)
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 06:21 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by jluck:
I think and hope all the markets continue to grow. And yes I do think there will be continued growth as there has been since inception. There has always been dips but overall they tend to grow. A bunch of my future rides on it.
i meant for this year...
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 06:21 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by hotreds:
It all depends on what happens in November, truthfully.
Umm so who moves the market up?? Rep or Dems???
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 06:23 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by maverickdrinker:
Just sold my apple stock 2 days ago. Looking at Starbucks and Qualcomm. Bullish on the us; took my mutual fund portfolio to 40% in December.
Bullish on the US and you sold the #1 US stock??
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 06:24 AM 04-02-2012
www.kiplingers.com is a great starter site...
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 06:29 AM 04-02-2012
OK. Here is one. Where should invest about $30k to get a decent return and still have it available if I needed it. Right now it is in a money market, but the return is like $4 a month.
If you are investing your money it is impossible to still have it available . Once you put the 30k somewhere it may be 29k or 31k the next day... I would only invest monies I do not need to rely on for atleast 5 years... JMO
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 06:34 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by RWhisenand:
Shippers generally pay a nice dividend. The dry bulk sector also seems to have bottomed so maybe its a decent time to look into NM, or DSX. As I stated earlier, I like the LNG floating storage and re-gasification campanies. I've been long GLNG for over a year, and since this pull back were having, I've been able to add about 30% to my position. It pays out about a 3.5% yeild.

CAT, if it drops below $100 might be attractive as well, but from a macro perspective, I would have a significant portion in cash for the summer, maybe getting long again later.

Also NUE might look attractive if we see a bit of a pullback. GLTA.

:-)
CAT was 71 in October, that was your chance... I hope we don't see it under $100 anytime again...
[Reply]
hammondc 06:48 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by RichieBklyn:
If you are investing your money it is impossible to still have it available . Once you put the 30k somewhere it may be 29k or 31k the next day... I would only invest monies I do not need to rely on for atleast 5 years... JMO
Thanks. OK, howabout I rephrase that to 'park' it somewhere that I can get better than the very minimal return I have at the bank in a Money Market? I have no problem leaving it, but would like to be able to get to it if the SHTF
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 07:03 AM 04-02-2012
Thanks. OK, howabout I rephrase that to 'park' it somewhere that I can get better than the very minimal return I have at the bank in a Money Market? I have no problem leaving it, but would like to be able to get to it if the SHTF
The first thing that comes to mind is government bonds, you can find many different bond funds... something like Fidelity Government Income Fund(FGOVX)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up