Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>heartfelt beads and hygrometer calibration
timatraw 07:51 AM 01-24-2010
Im having a heck of a time getting an accurate calibration reading for my stinking hygrometers. Is it possible to use a cap full of 65% beads (half wet with distilled water) in a tupperware with the hygrometers and get an accurate reading? I am guessing that the RH should be 65% after 24 hours or so.
Will this work?
Has anyone tried this calibration method with success?
Thanks.
Tim
[Reply]
icehog3 07:57 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by timatraw:
Im having a heck of a time getting an accurate calibration reading for my stinking hygrometers. Is it possible to use a cap full of 65% beads (half wet with distilled water) in a tupperware with the hygrometers and get an accurate reading? I am guessing that the RH should be 65% after 24 hours or so.
Will this work?
Thanks.
Tim
The beads can emit or absorb humidity based on conditions, so I would do the salt test rather than a test with beads for a more accurate reading. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 07:58 AM 01-24-2010
if you really want the easiest method get yourself some Boveda Calibration Kits. Not as cheap as salt, but they are only $3.00 and you dont have to fuss with anything.

My :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:04 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
if you really want the easiest method get yourself some Boveda Calibration Kits. Not as cheap as salt, but they are only $3.00 and you dont have to fuss with anything.

I have used this method and agree it is easy and accurate. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:06 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:

That is the answer in my book as well:-)
[Reply]
secretsquirrel 08:12 AM 01-24-2010
I did the Boveda Calibration Kit it was easier than doing any kind guessing. Well worth the 3 bones, clams or whatever you call them.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:59 AM 01-24-2010
I agree, the calibration kits are the easiest way to do it. You cant mess up.
[Reply]
looking for know 10:05 AM 01-24-2010
The salt calibration is far from difficult. In fact, you can easily be done days before your paid-for kit arrives in the mail. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 10:06 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by looking for know:
The salt calibration is far from difficult. In fact, you can easily be done days before your paid-for kit arrives in the mail. :-)
:-) Really easy!
[Reply]
galaga 10:14 AM 01-25-2010
Haven't tried it myself but it should work fine, as will any of the methods given. I might suggest you use a clear zip-lock bag. You can see the reading without opening the container.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 11:07 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by timatraw:
Will this work?
Thanks.
Tim
Well, the salt test is actually a calibration method that relies on some fundamental science. Its like using boiling and freezing water to calibrate a thermometer. The temperatures are known constants.

If you calibrate using the beads, than your hygrometer is basically calibrated using the same thing you're measuring. Its not independent.

Bob
[Reply]
eber 01:02 PM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Well, the salt test is actually a calibration method that relies on some fundamental science. Its like using boiling and freezing water to calibrate a thermometer. The temperatures are known constants.

If you calibrate using the beads, than your hygrometer is basically calibrated using the same thing you're measuring. Its not independent.

Bob
Excellent point sir :-)

I have been using the salt test on mine and have had no problems
[Reply]
longknocker 01:14 PM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel:
I did the Boveda Calibration Kit it was easier than doing any kind guessing. Well worth the 3 bones, clams or whatever you call them.
:-) I Used The Regular Table Salt & Never Got An Accurate Reading. Go With The Boveda Kit!:-):-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:26 PM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by eber:
Excellent point sir :-)

I have been using the salt test on mine and have had no problems
Thanks.

The salt test is one of those internet cigar mysteries. Some folks find it easy, others don't. So, there's nothing wrong with buying a Boveda pack. According to their website, its really the salt test. So, I guess you are paying for a premixed slurry. OK with me!
[Reply]
RazzBarlow 07:39 PM 01-25-2010
Salt test is pretty easy, just think paste instead of soup and you're pretty much on the right track.
[Reply]
Up