Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>New Travel Humi Project
dogface_313 05:15 PM 01-18-2010
So, I may have one of the greatest women on the planet as my wife. She got me a Pelican briefcase for Christmas, and I now intend to turn it into a travel humi. This will eventually be used for up to and over a year, it may travel to areas of extreme temperatures. I am talking 130 * F and no humidity and the other side of the spectrum as well. I am seeking input on how to configure this thing.

The lower half has a rubber bin that is split into three areas that are not the same size. There is foam that is removable as well, which is a protective cover over two of the compartments. The upper half is a leather, folder and organizer. I know there is a lot of experience with traveling with cigars out there, send some my way.

I am thinking of pulling the leather off(it is held on with double sided tape) and using epoxy to stick some cedar planks from cigar boxes to the top. Pulling out the foam and lining the rubber bin with cedar planks as well.

Pics to give you a better idea of what I am working with.
Attached: 001.jpg (111.4 KB) 002.jpg (113.8 KB) 003.jpg (121.1 KB) 004.jpg (118.3 KB) 005.jpg (105.4 KB) 
[Reply]
dogface_313 08:16 PM 01-23-2010
Well not too many responses here. I haven't done anything permanent, but I am using it for a ten day field problem. I will report back how it works out for me.

Pictures of it loaded up, ready for Monday.
Attached: 004.jpg (121.5 KB) 005.jpg (114.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Vigiles 08:18 PM 01-23-2010
Very very cool brother!

I remember looking at this thread before, just never got around to commenting.

Hope it works great, its definitely a unique and cool looking travel humi!
[Reply]
0002S 09:31 PM 01-23-2010
I like it
[Reply]
RazzBarlow 08:34 AM 01-24-2010
That's very cool! Are you thinking about putting anything in place to close the compartment off that your beads/hygro are in? (It looks like there's room between that divider and the lid where they could come loose)
[Reply]
dogface_313 01:36 PM 01-24-2010
As of right now I am going to let them just be free in that compartment. This is a simple setup for a 10 day field problem. Before using it for a longer duration I am going to have to make some mods to the setup.
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:56 PM 01-24-2010
Looking good!!!:-)

Did you get some foam for the inside top yet? I couldn't see it in the picture (unless that it laying on top of your cigars)!

You might want to get some of this egg crate accoustic type foam!
:-)

It really stops stuff from bouncing around inside!!!
[Reply]
dogface_313 01:58 PM 01-24-2010
The foam in the picture is held down by that velcro strap. Under the foam I covered the cigars with cigar box tops didn't want direct foam cigar contact.
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:05 PM 01-24-2010
I wouldn't worry about having wood in it, as it is a hassle, and this is a temporary storage for your cigars! The foam shouldn't effect the cigars at all as far as smell or taste.
[Reply]
Up