Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>A Warranty Pet Peeve...
Steve 02:57 PM 01-18-2010
For Christmas my wife gave me a Lotus Triple Torch Lighter (The Wedge). Saturday, I get out of the truck, light a cigar and walk up to the deck with the lighter in hand. I sit down on the deck and after a few minutes go to touch up the cigar and no joy. The lighter has not been out of my hand, not struck or bumped anything, not been dropped, nothing. Gas comes out of the lighter, but no ignition. Usually there is a "click" as the piezo is triggered, but now, nothing. WTH...

I know where my wife bought the lighter so I run down and see Howard about it. He confirms that Lotus has a 2 year warranty, but that I'll need to send it back because Lotus doesn't like too deal with their dealers on warranty items. He even looks, but doesn't have a replacement lighter. No problem really, just a hassle having to send the lighter back. Fortunately my trip to the Keys has been postponed and I can make due for a couple of weeks until it comes back.

[rant on]

Here's my pet peeve: I have to send $9.00 with the lighter to cover return postage. I guess I could understand if I had had the lighter for several months, but I have had it less than a month before it failed. It kind of chaps me that I have to spend an additional $9 on top of what my wife spent. I spoke with a lady on the phone a few minutes ago, and although she was very nice about it, she confirmed that I need to send the money.

[/rant]

Am I off base here or does this bother anyone else? Some of ya'll know me, and you'll notice I don't gripe and complain about a lot of things, but this just strikes me kinda wrong. I'm sending it in tomorrow, but I'm going to include a letter expressing my "disappointment" that I need to pay more money for a defective product. We'll see what happens.
[Reply]
G G 03:00 PM 01-18-2010
Spot on far as i'm concerned. They should replace it no charge.
[Reply]
pnoon 03:03 PM 01-18-2010
So you have to pay postage to return it to them and again for when they ship it back to you?

That blows big time.
[Reply]
roughrider 03:14 PM 01-18-2010
Return it for a refund if you can and pick up a Xikar.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:41 PM 01-18-2010
Originally Posted by roughrider:
:-) :-)
[Reply]
captain53 03:43 PM 01-18-2010
Just use your $9 and buy 3 Ronsons that will last the rest of your life and light first click every time!
[Reply]
bobarian 03:50 PM 01-18-2010
Well for $9 you can get three of these delivered to your door and have a buck leftover for a Double Cheeseburger! :-) Not as pretty but much more functional(you can see the fluid reservoir). These are also extremely durable lighters. Warranty??? Who needs a warranty for $2 each!

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179
[Reply]
shvictor 03:57 PM 01-18-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Well for $9 you can get three of these delivered to your door and have a buck leftover for a Double Cheeseburger! :-) Not as pretty but much more functional(you can see the fluid reservoir). These are also extremely durable lighters. Warranty??? Who needs a warranty for $2 each!

I just did :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 03:59 PM 01-18-2010
Originally Posted by shvictor:
I just did :-)
Did you get the cheeseburger too???:-):-)
[Reply]
shvictor 04:01 PM 01-18-2010
Did you get the cheeseburger too???:-):-)
Those are bad for you :-)
[Reply]
Steve 07:12 AM 01-19-2010
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of line.

I have a Calibri that I've had for close to 10 years that stopped working last year. Even with a lifetime warranty I would expect to pay postage on that, but not on a product that failed after less than a month of use.

Originally Posted by roughrider:
I thought about that, but as it was a present from my wife, it is special and I would like to honor the spirit it was given.

Originally Posted by captain53:
Just use your $9 and buy 3 Ronsons that will last the rest of your life and light first click every time!
Actually, the Ronson that DrHalle gave me last year at ggainey's herf has been the most dependable lighter I've had since my old Calibri died. Kinda sad when you think about it!

Again, thanks for the input!
[Reply]
Patrick B 07:16 AM 01-19-2010
Dan aka Elderboy gave me one of those cheapies from the link. Works every time!
[Reply]
Knip23 07:31 AM 01-19-2010
That sucks they should pay the postage back
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:32 AM 01-19-2010

These work great. Well worth the $2
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:43 AM 01-19-2010
Steve, I have a feeling that you'll send the dang thing with the money and never see your lighter again!!! It will get lost in the postage and they'll tell you "Too bad, so sad"!!!

Keep the gifted lighter as a paperweight and use something that works!!!
:-)
[Reply]
Steve 07:44 AM 01-19-2010
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Steve, I have a feeling that you'll send the dang thing with the money and never see your lighter again!!! It will get lost in the postage and they'll tell you "Too bad, so sad"!!!

Keep the gifted lighter as a paperweight and use something that works!!!
:-)
I'll send it with delivery confirmation :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 01:36 PM 01-21-2010
Sorry Steve.

My wife bought a Vector for me, she bought it online from a link that I provided to her. It was acting strange recently and I took it into a local B&M that I know sells them. They sent it off for me no questions asked, no money out of pocket, no cost whatsoever. Matter of fact, I'm going to pick it up today.

They'll get more of my business.
[Reply]
okieRob 05:52 PM 01-23-2010
This really stinks. Thanks for letting us know. I've been thinking of upgrading lately. I know what lighter I'm not going to buy...
[Reply]
Up