Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Bucanero Windjammer Robusto
lightning9191 04:20 PM 04-28-2009
I came home a little early today and decided to read some articles (on cell culture if that interests you) on the deck, enjoy the weather and a cigar. I decided to go with a Bucanero that has been hanging out in my humi for a few months. I decided to pair this with some delicious spring water. After looking at their website I'm pretty sure it is the Bucanero Windjammer robusto. It is a 5" x 50 cigar with an Ecuadorian sumatra wrapper with Dominican filler. The construction appears to be real nice. The pre-lit draw is perfect and it continues to be perfect (at least for me) throughout the cigar. The pre-lit aroma is quite floral....reminds me of roses.
I lit it up and took a draw. The first third was quite floral with some hints of chocolate and wood. The farther I smoked it, the more wood I tasted. The chocolate faded out. There was also some nuttiness in the first third. The second third was predominantly woody with some floral notes still there. The ash was a light grey and hung on for about an inch before it looked like it was getting ready to drop....so I tapped it off. Getting into the final third, it began to get bitter. I purged it a few times and let it rest, but it wasn't recovering. So I put it down. It was a pretty mild cigar. I enjoyed the first 2/3 of this cigar. I'd be willing to buy this again.
And here's a pic showing my mad multi-tasking skills.
[Reply]
nozero 04:34 PM 04-28-2009
Thanks for the review w/pics! It's a very attractive stick, too bad it went south with bitterness.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:24 PM 04-28-2009
nice review:-)
[Reply]
SeanGAR 07:42 PM 04-28-2009
Good job on the review Kevin. Now, what is the specific importance of fetal bovine serum in cell culture? Growth factors or what?
[Reply]
scooter 09:02 PM 04-28-2009
Nice review and pictures. Thanks
[Reply]
lightning9191 09:07 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
Good job on the review Kevin. Now, what is the specific importance of fetal bovine serum in cell culture? Growth factors or what?
My understanding is that the fetal bovine serum provides essential proteins and nutrients to nourish the cells. Basically soil is to plants as fetal bovine serum is to animal cells.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 09:26 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by lightning9191:
My understanding is that the fetal bovine serum provides essential proteins and nutrients to nourish the cells. Basically soil is to plants as fetal bovine serum is to animal cells.
Gotta be peptide growth factors ... just gotta be.

BTW, don't look at the price of FBS. Not pretty.
[Reply]
lightning9191 09:28 PM 04-28-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
Gotta be peptide growth factors ... just gotta be.

BTW, don't look at the price of FBS. Not pretty.
So I've heard. Never thought I'd be discussing cell culture on the asylum.:-)
[Reply]
omowasu 09:49 PM 05-04-2009
Thanks for the review. IMO, Bucaneros are one of the most under-rated cigars around. I have never had a bad Bucanero - some have been interesting and different, but all have been very enjoyable. I agree with the bitterness in the last 1/3, this is pretty common to NC cigars unfortunately. I tend to characterize this as more of a "sourness", as the bitterness found in a cup of coffee can be appealing, for example, but sourness is just plain nasty. I suppose for this reason, there arent many NC cigars that I "nub out" regularly. Most go to eternal rest around the 2/3 mark.
[Reply]
Up