Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Looking for RH help with a Vinotemp
forgop 05:54 PM 10-31-2008
Just set it up Sunday and I can't so much as set out a very small round credo without it hitting 80%. Any suggestions on how to keep my RH around 70%? Without anything, it's around 60%. Any suggestions are appreciated.
[Reply]
nozero 06:01 PM 10-31-2008
Shilala's beads. I swear by them. I have a llittle over a pound of them in my 16 bottle vino and after adjusting them (you get instructions), it holds a steady 65% RH with no to little intervention.
[Reply]
rack04 06:03 PM 10-31-2008
Originally Posted by forgop:
Just set it up Sunday and I can't so much as set out a very small round credo without it hitting 80%. Any suggestions on how to keep my RH around 70%? Without anything, it's around 60%. Any suggestions are appreciated.
What temperature do you have the vino set too and what is your ambient temperature?
[Reply]
G G 06:14 PM 10-31-2008
Originally Posted by nozero:
Shilala's beads. I swear by them. I have a llittle over a pound of them in my 16 bottle vino and after adjusting them (you get instructions), it holds a steady 65% RH with no to little intervention.
Shilala is the MAN when it comes to beads. I can't say enough good about them. I have 24 ounces in my vino and haven't had to even charge them in ages. 67% and no worries, keep it on 67 degreees.:-)
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 06:28 PM 10-31-2008
get some beads from heartfeltindustries.com I have a pound of 65% beads and the RH is sitting pretty. Add some spanish cedar if you want the RH a little lower. I ordered 3/8 x 4 x 36 for shelves from woodcraft.com
[Reply]
Mugen910 06:46 PM 10-31-2008
I would have gotten beads from Shilala but I have so much extra from taking down my humidors and moving all the goodies into the Vino..I will say my special stock has Scott's beads in it and I never have to worry about anything. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 08:04 PM 10-31-2008
I'm rocking steady with Heartfelt beads. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:09 PM 10-31-2008
Unplug the Vino. Its unlikely you will need temp control in your part of the country until next summer, unless you heat your house to above 80. 1 pound of beads is good, 2 better. Fill the vino. Either with smokes or at the very least empty boxes. This will help regulate the humidity and keep it more stable. Put your hygro inside a box of smokes. That is where the humidity counts, not the ambient air in the Vino. :-)
[Reply]
N2Advnture 05:12 AM 11-01-2008
Originally Posted by forgop:
I'd suggest taking out the creedo as they don't have any regulating properties (eg: only emit water vapor).

Let the RH fall to 60%

Put in RH Beads and you'll be good to go.

Add cigar boxes will absorb some RH so you may find that once it's loaded, it may be more stable.

I hope this helps

~Mark

[Reply]
BengalMan 12:25 PM 11-01-2008
Buy beads. Shilala's are good as are Heartfelt Industries.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 03:13 PM 11-01-2008
Beads are great, but I second the fact that you should put some boxes in to see if it brings the humidity down. Also, take any humidification source out for now and see what happens.
[Reply]
lightning9191 05:46 PM 11-01-2008
I suggest getting some beads. I use a pound of heartfelt beads in mine and they keep it pretty steady. I may eventually get another pound to help with the fluctuations.
[Reply]
ChasDen 09:48 PM 11-01-2008
Try unplugging your vino, mine has been unplugged for almost a month.
Make sure the drain hole is plugged, get some beads and fill her up with cigars.

The more cigars the better :-)

Chas
[Reply]
Up