Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 30 of 42
« First < 20282930 313240 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Wine Thread
Gabe215 09:27 PM 08-21-2014
I was thinking the same thing, I love Aussie wines and Carnival of Love is $70+ A bottle, is it an online retailer you have found this price on?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:18 AM 08-22-2014
Not a fan Aussie wines in general. That being said, Torbreck is one of my favorite Aussie producers. They have something good at all price points.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 07:59 PM 09-26-2014
Enjoying a bottle of Clos du Bois North Coast Zinandel. Great wine with my dinner tonight. Now to pick out a cigar for afterwards.
[Reply]
Gabe215 10:51 AM 09-30-2014
Question for the experienced Vintage Port drinkers! Being from a state run liquor store state I usually go to Delaware or NJ to stock up and my favorite store in DE has a HUGE (1.5L?) bottle of Warre's 1985 Vintage Port for $160 tax free shopping in Delaware too! One is this a good price for this vintage? And secondly this will be my first bottle of vintage port and was wondering if the same rules that apply to non vintage port work with vintage port as well like being able to drink out of an opened bottle for at least 2 weeks before it starts to go bad? Any and all info appreciated!!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:53 AM 09-30-2014
Originally Posted by Gabe215:
Question for the experienced Vintage Port drinkers! Being from a state run liquor store state I usually go to Delaware or NJ to stock up and my favorite store in DE has a HUGE (1.5L?) bottle of Warre's 1985 Vintage Port for $160 tax free shopping in Delaware too! One is this a good price for this vintage? And secondly this will be my first bottle of vintage port and was wondering if the same rules that apply to non vintage port work with vintage port as well like being able to drink out of an opened bottle for at least 2 weeks before it starts to go bad? Any and all info appreciated!!
'85 Warres is a great vintage port, one of better ones of that vintage. Elegant and floral, Warres is a classy "feminine" style of port. You'll have about 4-5 days to drink that bottle once opened. As for price, it is no giveaway, but not a rip off either. Best way to keep the bottle is to pour the whole bottle through cheesecloth into a decanter. Rinse the 1.5 bottle out with just water then pour the port back into the bottle. Figure half a bottle a night and you'll done in time. Enjoy.

I would wait at least 6-7 hours before the first glass. It's best to pour (after you did the decanter thing) and half bottle's worth out each time and keep the magnum with a cork in it.
[Reply]
pnoon 12:32 PM 09-30-2014
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
"feminine" style of port.
:-)
What does that mean? I've never heard that term used for wine beofre.
[Reply]
Gabe215 01:07 PM 09-30-2014
Thank you for the info, maybe I'll see if they have a 750 ml bottle, I didn't notice if they had a smaller bottle as I couldn't take my eyes off the magnum. I might be able to finish it off in 4-5 days if I have guests over, I've developed a love for port but that's a lot in a short amount of time, maybe wait to open during holidays! Vintage ports have driven corks correct? Also I bought one of these, will this do the trick for decanting, haven't used it yet I got this for an unfiltered LBV I have yet to open?
[IMG]Image[/IMG]
[Reply]
Gabe215 06:31 PM 09-30-2014
Oh and went through a bottle of this tonight, wee bit better than 6 grapes!!
[IMG]Image[/IMG]
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:15 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by pnoon:
:-)
What does that mean? I've never heard that term used for wine beofre.
Softer, elegant, "pretty", finesse vs. a more brutish powerful style like Taylor. The most common producers that are known to have a feminine style or port are Ferreira and Warres. This is not negative term to describe wine at all.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:22 AM 10-01-2014
Thank you for the info, maybe I'll see if they have a 750 ml bottle, I didn't notice if they had a smaller bottle as I couldn't take my eyes off the magnum. I might be able to finish it off in 4-5 days if I have guests over, I've developed a love for port but that's a lot in a short amount of time, maybe wait to open during holidays! Vintage ports have driven corks correct? Also I bought one of these, will this do the trick for decanting, haven't used it yet I got this for an unfiltered LBV I have yet to open?
Geez, when I have port nights are my house, we plan on 1 to 1.5 bottles per person and don't leave until it's all finished....

The only way to really open up a wine (or port) is to pour in a decanter, swirl it around a couple of times and just wait it out. That bottle of '85 Warres has been in a bottle almost 30 years, it takes some time to come out of its nap and should not be rushed. The funnel will help open the wine up, but so will making sure the wine goes down the side of the decanter in a thin sheen. Make the wine go down the sides of the decanter, not directly to the bottom.

If you do buy the magnum, you can leave bottle upright and just pour out what you want for the night into a decanter and try not to unsettle what is in the decanter. You might get a few more days out of the magnum if you prevent aeration. Honestly, I think you'll enjoy the port more if you get a chance to drink more than just a glass or two. Try really "going for it" and enjoy the experience. Remember, at least 6-7 hours in the decanter before the main event. Make sure to try port from when you first decant until serving time to educate you on how it changes over time.

That's going to be a fun night of port. :-)
[Reply]
Gabe215 04:51 PM 10-01-2014
Thanks Moses!! You are the man and have taught me a lot since my journey into red wines through your PM's with me way back, and with port on this thread, thank you very much!! Considering I drank that whole bottle of Cockburns SR last night I'm sure I'll put a hurting on that Vintage, and as you said I will definitely "go for it" lol.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:57 AM 10-02-2014
Thanks Moses!! You are the man and have taught me a lot since my journey into red wines through your PM's with me way back, and with port on this thread, thank you very much!! Considering I drank that whole bottle of Cockburns SR last night I'm sure I'll put a hurting on that Vintage, and as you said I will definitely "go for it" lol.
'85 Warres out of a magnum is going to be a fun experience. Wish I was there! I had a magnum of '70 Warres a few years ago. Doesn't come around that much. Grahams, Dow, & Fonseca are the best (along with Warres) of the vintage. Avoid Croft, Noval, and Sandeman for this vintage. Odd times for port in the early-mid 80's.

Things turned around for everyone by 1990 and has been producing excellent vintages steadily since.
[Reply]
Gabe215 12:46 PM 10-06-2014
Went down today and bought the magnum, just a few more questions, one is when I bought it, the store was storing all the vintage ports standing upright, not how I thought they were supposed to be laying Down with the white wax facing up. Since the bottle is so old is there a chance the cork dried up and the port spoiled? I doubt the bottle has been in the store for 29 years, but who knows?? Also when you said to decant for 6-7 hours before drinking do you mean in an open top decanter to aerate the wine or one that has a glass lid to pour and strain then put the lid on? Thanks
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:35 AM 10-07-2014
Went down today and bought the magnum, just a few more questions, one is when I bought it, the store was storing all the vintage ports standing upright, not how I thought they were supposed to be laying Down with the white wax facing up. Since the bottle is so old is there a chance the cork dried up and the port spoiled? I doubt the bottle has been in the store for 29 years, but who knows?? Also when you said to decant for 6-7 hours before drinking do you mean in an open top decanter to aerate the wine or one that has a glass lid to pour and strain then put the lid on? Thanks
I doubt it has been standing up that long either and it's fine if it stays standing for the short term as well.

Yes, the 6-7 hours is in a decanter poured from the magnum through a layer of cheesecloth.

Easiest method is to pour the whole magnum into a decanter (or whatever glass container large enough - even 2 different ones) with cheesecloth. Rinse the magnum out with just cold water to get all sediment out of it. Pour the port back into the magnum. Take a small initial glass for a "pop and pour taste". Continue taking very small glasses hourly until 6-7 hour minimum period before serving. You'll get to see how the port evolves over time.
[Reply]
Gabe215 07:17 PM 10-12-2014
My Latest Purchases!!
[IMG]Image[/IMG]
[Reply]
pektel 06:18 AM 10-13-2014
I haven't had port in a couple years. Now I know what I'll be looking for tonight after work.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:24 PM 10-13-2014
Wow, that magnum looks awesome and Vesuvio is pretty good too. I have a 6 pack foot locker of the '08 Vesuvio, but have never tried one. I like to wait 20 years before opening a Vintage port.

I visited Quinta Vesuvio in 2010, what a majestic property. For those who don't know, the Douro valley where port is made is the most awe inspiring wine region there is. Port is grown in schist, on terraced cliffs made hand carved over many centuries. It's one of the greatest feats by mankind and could never be done again. You will have a life long fondness and appreciation of port if you ever visit. Port is a relative bargain for the labor and love it takes to make port. Virtually all of the grapes have to be hand picked.

This goes on for 100+ miles along the Douro river!
[Reply]
Gabe215 04:10 PM 10-13-2014
Thanks for the pics, was watching a documentary on YouTube about Port and your right the Duoro Valley looks majestic and one place I would love to visit one day! I have a feeling I won't be able wait 16 years to open that port, one day I hope to be on your level Moses!! I just got a new job today with a senior role drinking Catena Malbec!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:03 PM 10-13-2014
Thanks for the pics, was watching a documentary on YouTube about Port and your right the Duoro Valley looks majestic and one place I would love to visit one day! I have a feeling I won't be able wait 16 years to open that port, one day I hope to be on your level Moses!! I just got a new job today with a senior role drinking Catena Malbec!
Congrat's on you new job. If you drink the Vesuvio before then, let it decant over night at least.

If you visit one wine region, the Douro is the place to go. Very old world and not so touristy at all. Heck, they didn't even have electricity out there until 1970's!
[Reply]
Gabe215 05:21 PM 10-13-2014
Thank you, I will be drinking it before then and will do, thanks for the knowledge as always Moses!
[Reply]
Page 30 of 42
« First < 20282930 313240 > Last »
Up