Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Coffee Discussion>Tamper shopping
floydpink 05:23 PM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Who said anything involved with making espresso at home is cheap?

I do not have one, but tried it and it's a solid piece. Yes, if you already know what you are doing, it might be a waste. I can see how this is useful in a restaurant setting or for someone who is buying their first machine.

Personally, I my tamps at home are slightly harder, but my grind makes up for it.
I'm just the opposite and tamp lighter and grind finer.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:33 AM 11-11-2009
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
There is a marked difference between "cheap" and useful/functional at a lesser price point. I need no elitism when regarding a plug of round metal with an ergonomic handle on it.
I hear ya, I don't own that tamp either. Not that I haven't spent more than I had to on other things.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 11:50 AM 11-11-2009
Well. The bottom of certain glass spice jars work fine. I just find a rosewood handled convex 58mm Reg Barber is a little better feeling in the hand. :-)
[Reply]
DocLogic77 12:49 PM 11-13-2009
Originally Posted by floydpink:
Another option is to buy a bathroom scale and test your tamp pressure and monitor your personal weight at the same time.
When first learning I used this method to help with proper tamping pressures.
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 01:49 PM 11-13-2009
I think you can't go wrong with one of these.....they sell just about anywhere for $3.00 or less! Nothing fancy but it get's the job done!

Czech Pipe Tool

This pipe tool is a classic. It's been made in several variations for decaded. The three swiveling tools included the following: a spoon for cleaning out dottle and ash, a pick for correcting bad bowl packs and of course a tamper. Get one for the car, the glove box or your key-chain. Never be without a tamper again!

[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:59 PM 11-13-2009
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry:
I think you can't go wrong with one of these.....they sell just about anywhere for $3.00 or less! Nothing fancy but it get's the job done!

Czech Pipe Tool

This pipe tool is a classic. It's been made in several variations for decaded. The three swiveling tools included the following: a spoon for cleaning out dottle and ash, a pick for correcting bad bowl packs and of course a tamper. Get one for the car, the glove box or your key-chain. Never be without a tamper again!
I have one of those, great for a pipe, but not so hot for the espresso group head.
:-)
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 02:48 PM 11-13-2009
Damn, I'm sorry!
[Reply]
floydpink 05:05 PM 11-13-2009
If things get really lumpy, these are always a great standby.

:-)
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 07:16 PM 11-13-2009
I got the right one now....

Expresso Tamper
[Reply]
Blueface 08:20 PM 11-24-2010
While I have one, it is a cheapo and not very heavy at all.
After a bit of searching, landed on this one.
Just ordered it.
Thought about the Reg Barber but decided on this one.
Looking forward to getting it.
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Esp...cg10080-01.htm
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:55 AM 11-25-2010
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
Can you tune out the click if you get tired of it?
No, but it is not loud at all. It's well made. I wonder if any used ones are on EBay?
[Reply]
Blueface 07:52 AM 11-25-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
No, but it is not loud at all. It's well made. I wonder if any used ones are on EBay?
I actually considered that one.
Figured I would go with the $52 one and get the click mat when it becomes available (out of stock at Seattle Coffee Gear), as will look to get a mat anyhow.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:14 AM 11-25-2010
I thought the click mat was interesting as well.
Still haven't bothered getting a decent tamper for myself.
[Reply]
seanwang 10:00 AM 07-08-2020
now shopping online is very convenient, you can shop online, you also can find some auto espresso tamper here.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:29 AM 07-09-2020
I bought one of those Espro tamps several years ago and works like a charm. Makes espresso brewing more consistent and is a really well machined tamp.

http://www.espro.ca/tamper.php
[Reply]
Nooner 02:54 PM 06-19-2022
Dunno how active this forum is, but I've become a huge fan of espresso levelers. There are a couple of good ones on the higher quality end of the spectrum. The 'Jack' by Asso and the 'OCD/NCD' by Ona are great starting places imho.
[Reply]
bonjing 03:28 PM 08-04-2022
Originally Posted by Nooner:
Dunno how active this forum is, but I've become a huge fan of espresso levelers. There are a couple of good ones on the higher quality end of the spectrum. The 'Jack' by Asso and the 'OCD/NCD' by Ona are great starting places imho.

I went Bravo for my tamper and distribution tool. I was hoping to get a copper set to match the other copper accents in the kitchen. I love using my Levercraft ultra for WDT'ing too. Second set I just went with Normcore for tamper and leveler.

I don't know why by I am lusting for one of those Force Tampers but don't need one
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up