Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Little Havana Overrun III torpedo
Don Fernando 11:00 AM 10-25-2010
Don Pepin Garcia is responsible for these budget friendly Nicaraguan puros, that are available in four sizes, Churchill, Toro, Robusto and the Torpedo which I reviewed today. The torpedo is 6⅛ x 52 long. I am not sure, but these could be a Holts exclusive cigar. I got this cigar from Dunng when he came to Amsterdam for a day and crashed at my place for the night.

The wrapper is mocha brown, a bit oily with a few long but thin veins. The cigar has a strong wood and barnyard smell. The construction feels a bit soft, but evenly soft all over the cigar. The predraw is good and I get a peppery raisin flavor.

I get a full flavored and strong espresso and black pepper flavor with a mild sweetness. After an inch the espresso changes into wood, the pepper remains and the sweetness has disappeared. After two inch I also get a hint of chocolate.

The chocolate disappears again, I now taste wood and a splash of black pepper again. The wood slowly gains some strength and the flavor gets even nicer. The pepper also gets stronger. The wood flavor reminds me of the specific Liga Privada and Opus X flavor but less subtle and complicated.

This very nice cigar lasted me for an hour and thirty five minutes. I got a lot of smoke, medium thick. The draw and the burn were good. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied. The pepper and salt colored ash is firm.

Would I buy this cigar again? I will have to get myself a few bundles.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
Mr B 11:19 AM 10-25-2010
Great review Ferdie.
Probably one of the Best ,Low Cost, Bundle stick available. I got a bundle of the Robustos and loved them. Triple F sent me the Torpedo and I think I liked it even more.
If you want a great. low $$ Pepin, this is it!!
[Reply]
BigAsh 11:20 AM 10-25-2010
:-):-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 11:28 AM 10-25-2010
I absolutely love these. I get the same espresso and woodsy flavor you got. One of the best values out there!

MCS
[Reply]
yourchoice 12:10 PM 10-25-2010
Another vote for the LHO III's. Spot on review. Probably my favorite value cigar.

And, I believe you are correct that they are a Holt's exclusive.
[Reply]
Patrick B 12:51 PM 10-25-2010
A great cigar for cheaps! Last time I bought 4 bundles and us Cincy boys shared them around.
[Reply]
pinotguy 02:40 PM 10-25-2010
Nice review, as always. Are these long-filler or a mixed/sandwich style?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:33 PM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by pinotguy:
Nice review, as always. Are these long-filler or a mixed/sandwich style?
Longfiller and arguably the best cigar deal available. http://www.holts.com/category.html?i...0&trail=201277
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:43 PM 10-25-2010
Nice review Ferdie...I have heard good things about these, but yet to try. Another stick to add to the list. :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 09:38 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Nice review Ferdie...I have heard good things about these, but yet to try. Another stick to add to the list. :-)
hmm....how do you spell EPIC?.....:-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 10:42 AM 10-26-2010
I had a Robusto awhile back and thought it was very good indeed.
[Reply]
Up