Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Navarre robusto
Don Fernando 10:54 AM 10-18-2010
I wrote about these French puros before when I smoked the Double Corona and the Robusto Maduro. This time I smoked the Robusto that I had lying in my humidor for over 2 year. This cigar comes from the first ever Navarre release and I got this at Huis Verloo in Antwerp for € 7,50

This 4x50 robusto has a nice, shiny and oily wrapper with one big vein and a Cuban triple cap. That doesn't surprise me as the company works with Cuban growers, blenders and rollers to create the best cigars possible. The cigar has a mild and sweet wood smell. The construction feels fine but the predraw is tough. I taste raisin and some wood.

I taste a strong earth flavor with some cedar on the background, but mainly earth. After half an inch the earth gets a little sweet and I get some spice on my tongue. The strength of the flavors goes from full to medium.

After ⅔ I taste some nuts through the sweet earth and cedar flavors but that nut flavor doesn't stick around for long. The sweetness disappears too, so all that is left is the earth and the cedar.

Even though this is only a 4 inch cigar, it lasted me 70 minutes. I got a lot of smoke from this French puro. The draw is a bit tough but not too much to complain about it. The burn is good. The ash is firm and dark gray. This cigar is full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Probably, but no whole boxes, they are too expensive for that.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:01 PM 10-18-2010
So the leaves in these guys are all grown in France?

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:44 PM 10-18-2010
yes, grown and rolled in France
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:05 PM 10-18-2010
I'm intrigued by these. Your description brings Dominican leaf to mind.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:48 PM 10-18-2010
Another fine review of a stick I have never heard of Ferdie. Sounds tasty!! :-)
[Reply]
BTcigars 08:59 PM 10-18-2010
A French puro?! Need to do some research on this one...thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Up