Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tat Boris
RightAJ 11:45 AM 10-09-2010
Last year Pete Johnson released a slightly different version of the famed Frank from Halloween of 2008, with a different wrapper, called the Boris (after the actor who played Frankenstein in the movie). Since Halloween is coming up this year, I figured I'd finally get around to smoking this LE!

Pre-Light - No noticeable smells, but the wrapper is a beautiful coffee colored brown with minimal veins and a leathery touch.

First Third - Right away I can taste the slight minty note that I've heard so much about in this stick, combined with a mild-medium bodied earthy tobacco flavor. The smoke is abnormally cool, similar to a dry wine. The draw, ash, and burn are fantastic thus far, and the smoke itself is thick and white. A slight nutty spice character adds to the complexity of what seems to be a great cigar, though with a body lighter than I had expected.

Second Third - The body has beefed up a bit though the complex mix of flavors continues to be a mix of tobacco, mint, nut and some earthyness. I am in awe of the perfection achieved in construction by Pete on this stick, its is a joy not to have to baby the stick or worry about a tight draw.

Third Third - Moving into the last third, a cool spice takes the lead with some creamy nut and earthy flavors right behind. The texture of the smoke is continuing to intrigue me, and D/A/B are, big surprise, still great. I'm not noticing any heat near the nub, as the cool flavors and smoke seem to be consistent throughout. Definitely worth nubbing.

Conclusion and Score - This cigar was really 'different' for me (as I would expect from an LE), and it fits into a niche that I could see myself yearning for on occasion in the future. The smoke itself was cool, minty and dry, while the flavors included a complex mix of earth, mint, raw tobacco, nut, and spice. Construction was superb, and I really did enjoy this cigar, though it could have used a bit more in the body department. Even still, I would rate this stick a 91 and look forward to seeing it progress over time.

aj

PS More pics on my blog.
PPS Does anyone know of any other sticks that have a similar 'cool and dry' texture to the smoke? I thought it was pretty cool..
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:51 AM 10-09-2010
Damn fine review AJ!! :-)
[Reply]
hscmit 12:02 PM 10-09-2010
nice review.

I know it sounds a little out there, but I got some dry minty flavors from the naturals pimp stick.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:04 PM 10-09-2010
Originally Posted by hscmit:
I know it sounds a little out there, but I got some dry minty flavors from the naturals pimp stick.
I had to laugh out loud on that one!! :-) :-) :-) Gotta love Drew Estates names for sticks!!

James... :-)
[Reply]
hscmit 12:46 PM 10-09-2010
no worries, I didnt name it
[Reply]
boom 01:30 PM 10-09-2010
Cant wait to light up the one gifted to me by Shvictor.....
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 01:32 PM 10-09-2010
Spot-on review AJ thanks for sharing!

Regrettably this is one that I missed out on but still have hopes of coming across a couple in the future.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 03:05 PM 10-09-2010
Nice review. These are waaaay better than the Dracs
[Reply]
longknocker 03:17 PM 10-09-2010
Great Review!:-)
[Reply]
MiamiE 03:30 PM 10-09-2010
My favorite Tatuaje!
[Reply]
Starscream 03:58 PM 10-09-2010
Any cigar named after Karloff has to live up to high expectations. I prefer Lugosi when it comes to horror, but Karloff is much more well-rounded and a better actor period.

If you don't know who Karloff is, he's the original Universal Pictures Frankenstein and the narrator for "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" cartoon version.

EDIT: I'm sure most of you know who he is. It just seemed that he hasn't been properly represented in this thread.
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:13 PM 10-09-2010
These cigars are great! :-)
[Reply]
CasaDooley 08:28 PM 10-09-2010
Nice review AJ!:-)
[Reply]
Louistogies 10:16 PM 10-09-2010
I'm gonna lite this cigar up on Halloween. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Bill86 01:13 AM 10-10-2010
I've yet to light mine up, if it's anything like the frank than :-). The drac was very meh....
[Reply]
EricF 04:37 PM 10-10-2010
I have some Drac's and some Boris's and still don't know which to light up for Halloween!

I'm confused!
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 09:09 PM 10-10-2010
Boris Karloff as...

"The Monster"

Great review, AJ.

:-)
[Reply]
Up