Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Sports>World Cup Banter
ColdCuts 10:33 PM 07-02-2014
Well, it's been over 24hrs now. There's been no futbol today so I've been processing the US loss to Belgium. Some thoughts:
Our boys played with tons of heart. Battered and broken they never quit. I'm extraordinarily proud of them for that. :-)

On the other side of the coin, I'm sure that even the casual observer can see we need to breakthrough to a higher level if we're ever going to be world-beaters.
[Reply]
mjdx88 10:39 AM 07-03-2014
I couldn't agree more. I felt the play was very sloppy on our side with tons of missed opportunities.

This I think will be a great lesson, and will only help us in the long run to become a better team. I loved all the heart the team put into the match in the final minutes, I couldnt have asked for a better match.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 11:27 AM 07-03-2014
I agree with everything except for the Donovan stuff. I really think keeping him off the roster was the right thing to do.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 01:50 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
I agree with everything except for the Donovan stuff. I really think keeping him off the roster was the right thing to do.
+1
[Reply]
markem 01:52 PM 07-03-2014
I agree with several point that Dave made. However ...

Donovan was left out. Woulda, coulda and shoulda. Personally, I do not think that the presence of one person could have changed that game.

The US played below their capability. They have conditioning and defense on their side, but where was it? The injury was huge, but a good coach plans for at least one catastrophe each game.

Howard did not play any different than he has played in the BPL. That he was so much beyond the rest of the team is the lesson that should be learned. MLS is not! on the level of the rest of the world.

I do not have a solution to the problem that I just mentioned, but I am a Portland Timbers supporter :-)

At the end of the day, it could have been 5-0 at the end of regulation, but was not. The fans were treated to world class defense by Howard and some amazing efforts by the rest of the US team. That the Belgium team did not have to play beyond their ability is a testament to their ability, not a slight to the US.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:30 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by markem:
I agree with several point that Dave made. However ...

Donovan was left out. Woulda, coulda and shoulda. Personally, I do not think that the presence of one person could have changed that game.

The US played below their capability. They have conditioning and defense on their side, but where was it? The injury was huge, but a good coach plans for at least one catastrophe each game.

Howard did not play any different than he has played in the BPL. That he was so much beyond the rest of the team is the lesson that should be learned. MLS is not! on the level of the rest of the world.

I do not have a solution to the problem that I just mentioned, but I am a Portland Timbers supporter :-)

At the end of the day, it could have been 5-0 at the end of regulation, but was not. The fans were treated to world class defense by Howard and some amazing efforts by the rest of the US team. That the Belgium team did not have to play beyond their ability is a testament to their ability, not a slight to the US.
I agree with most of what you posted, Mark. But one point I strongly disagree with is in regard to our defense. IMO, the US defense (not goalkeeping) is the weak point of the team. They are nowhere near the level of the best teams in Europe and South America.

As for Donovan, I think it was a risky/gutsy call that Klinsmann made to leave him off the squad. The injury to Altidore hurt more without Donovan to pick up the slack. But I think Klinsmann made the right choice.

Yedlin was impressive and will only get better.
[Reply]
jpb437 04:38 PM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by pnoon:
IMO, the US defense (not goalkeeping) is the weak point of the team. They are nowhere near the level of the best teams in Europe and South America.
+1 From what I saw the US defense was not up to world standards throughout the tournament. I don't think the team ever believed they could win so until they had nothing to loose they didn't give it everything they had. With that said however they did a great job.
[Reply]
Gabe215 09:27 AM 07-04-2014
Happy 4th everyone, big games today! Two countries that love each other Germany v France! Down the Jersey Shore stuck inside from Hurricane Arthur, hope we keep power!! Columbia v Brazil should be very interesting as well!
[Reply]
pnoon 09:30 AM 07-04-2014
Gonna watch some great futbol and put a couple of racks of baby backs on the smoker.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 08:45 AM 07-05-2014
Gonna watch some great futbol and put a couple of racks of baby backs on the smoker.
Add to what Peter said a couple of good cigars, you've got the best day EVER.

Good matches on today too. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:46 AM 07-05-2014
To be honest, I thought the France/Germany match was dull.

Brazil/Colombia was high energy and entertaining.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 09:07 AM 07-05-2014
To be honest, I thought the France/Germany match was dull.

Brazil/Colombia was high energy and entertaining.
Agreed.

You know, now that Neymar's World Cup is over due to a fractured vertebra, and let's face it, Brazil weren't looking invincible anyway, I think there's a good chance Germany knocks 'em out on Tuesday.

Peter, it's a shame we live on opposite coasts. I'd have liked to drop in on you yesterday to introduce myself in person after all these years... and see if you needed any help operating that smoker. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 09:14 AM 07-05-2014
Originally Posted by ColdCuts:
Agreed.

You know, now that Neymar's World Cup is over due to a fractured vertebra, and let's face it, Brazil weren't looking invincible anyway, I think there's a good chance Germany knocks 'em out on Tuesday.

Peter, it's a shame we live on opposite coasts. I'd have liked to drop in on you yesterday to introduce myself in person after all these years... and see if you needed any help operating that smoker. :-)
We will make it happen one day, David. I would love to share a smoke, a beverage, some smoked food, and conversation.

I do make it back to southern Connecticut now and then. I grew up there and still have extended family there.

Looks like Suarez is headed to Barca.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 11:49 AM 07-05-2014
We will make it happen one day, David. I would love to share a smoke, a beverage, some smoked food, and conversation.

I do make it back to southern Connecticut now and then. I grew up there and still have extended family there.
Peter, this would be nothing short of amazing. It'd be surreal, really. :-)

Looks like Suarez is headed to Barca.
If the move is finalized, how would you feel about him going? Big boots to fill.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:55 AM 07-05-2014
Originally Posted by ColdCuts:
Peter, this would be nothing short of amazing. It'd be surreal, really. :-)

If the move is finalized, how would you feel about him going? Big boots to fill.
World class striker. Tough to lose that. But Liverpool has lots of talent and the huge transfer fee can be used for other players.
[Reply]
DMK 05:00 PM 07-05-2014
Wow!! Hard fought game. I don't think the best team won.
[Reply]
Gabe215 06:03 PM 07-05-2014
I heard Balotelli and Huntelaar are both being lined up as a Suarez replacement! YNWA!!!
[Reply]
pnoon 06:26 PM 07-05-2014
Originally Posted by Gabe215:
I heard Balotelli and Huntelaar are both being lined up as a Suarez replacement! YNWA!!!
Balotelli is a huge talent but a real head case. Huntelaar would be cool.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 01:56 PM 07-08-2014
Say, is there a game today? :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 02:15 PM 07-08-2014
I heard some co-workers talking about Brazil, but I figured they were just getting bikini-waxed.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Up