Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>using a slingbox without a dvr
loki 06:13 PM 10-03-2009
is this possible?

I want to hook a sling box upto a tv without a dvr or other such device to it. I know I'm the last person in the world to not have a dvr but I don't have one nor am I getting one. can I use a sling box with a set up like this or not?
[Reply]
Jbailey 06:45 PM 10-03-2009
Not a 100% sure, but I would say you should be able to.
[Reply]
Resipsa 06:59 PM 10-03-2009
Originally Posted by loki:
is this possible?

I want to hook a sling box upto a tv without a dvr or other such device to it. I know I'm the last person in the world to not have a dvr but I don't have one nor am I getting one. can I use a sling box with a set up like this or not?
Do you mean up to your cablebox, or up to your tv? It needs to have access to some type of content, a tv tuner, cablebox, etc.
[Reply]
loki 07:05 PM 10-03-2009
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
Do you mean up to your cablebox, or up to your tv? It needs to have access to some type of content, a tv tuner, cablebox, etc.
my tv. I don't have a cablebox or anything like that. The tv is connected to the the jack in the wall.
[Reply]
AD720 08:37 PM 10-03-2009
Yep, you can.

But you need the slingbox with the built in tuner:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-medi...-32084881.html

http://www.slingcommunity.com/articl...-Tuner-Review/
[Reply]
bazookajoe 09:05 PM 10-03-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Yep, you can.

But you need the slingbox with the built in tuner:...
This is correct - the tuner in the Slingbox Pro eliminates the need for a cable box, dvr or satellite receiver. Besides the benefits of being able to watch what you want when away from home, I like to sit out back with a laptop and a cigar watching the game - best money I've spent. :-)
[Reply]
loki 09:24 PM 10-03-2009
thanks guys, so pro is needed...time to go shopping
[Reply]
AD720 09:03 AM 10-04-2009
Originally Posted by bazookajoe:
This is correct - the tuner in the Slingbox Pro eliminates the need for a cable box, dvr or satellite receiver. Besides the benefits of being able to watch what you want when away from home, I like to sit out back with a laptop and a cigar watching the game - best money I've spent. :-)
Originally Posted by loki:
thanks guys, so pro is needed...time to go shopping

It appears that the Slingbox Tuner is discontinued but I'm sure you can find one ebay or somewhere and save some cash.
[Reply]
Up