Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Xikar Cutter-Not Released to Public Yet
Katmancross 11:02 AM 01-02-2011
I got this as a gift. I can't find it on the Xikar web site. It was in a 5 cigar travel humidor with a lighter.

The plastic flag acts as a back stop so your cuts are controlled and only the smallest part of the cap is removed.

Attached:
[Reply]
ATobin 11:28 AM 01-02-2011
Me likey. Have you tested it yet?
[Reply]
T.G 11:32 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by Katmancross:
I got this as a gift. I can't find it on the Xikar web site.
A very nice and thoughtful gift. :-)

I think those were a special B&M only holiday gift pack item. They were announced back in October and it's in the 2010 Holiday catalog (page 16).
[Reply]
Katmancross 11:39 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by ATobin:
Me likey. Have you tested it yet?

I have. And it gives me the perfect cut every time. I usually take a regular guillotine cutter and do a 360 degree carefully around 1/32" around the cap so all that comes off is the cap wrapper. Like a little beanie.
With this, no thinking required. Stick it in and close the blades and voila!
I can't believe no one has thought of this....at least not in a major marketing environment.
[Reply]
Katmancross 11:41 AM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
A very nice and thoughtful gift. :-)

I think those were a special B&M only holiday gift pack item. They were announced back in October and it's in the 2010 Holiday catalog (page 16).
Wow. It was an even nicer gift than I thought. And I thought it was pretty cool.
I immortalized the gentleman who gave it to me in one of my reviews at Famous.
I gave him a new nickname that I hope catches on where he works. That should drive him nuts.
[Reply]
T.G 11:49 AM 01-02-2011
I have. And it gives me the perfect cut every time. I usually take a regular guillotine cutter and do a 360 degree carefully around 1/32" around the cap so all that comes off is the cap wrapper. Like a little beanie.
With this, no thinking required. Stick it in and close the blades and voila!
I can't believe no one has thought of this....at least not in a major marketing environment.
Cutters with backstops have been around for quite a long time.
[Reply]
Katmancross 11:53 AM 01-02-2011
Cutters with backstops have been around for quite a long time.
So much for my credibility. I've never seen one.
[Reply]
Darrell 11:56 AM 01-02-2011
Cutters with backstops are called "noob cutters". :-)
[Reply]
Katmancross 12:03 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Thanks...a lot
[Reply]
T.G 12:19 PM 01-02-2011
So much for my credibility. I've never seen one.
Granted, they aren't all that commonly found.
[Reply]
Springsman 12:22 PM 01-02-2011
hmmm...i've never seen one either....
[Reply]
Katmancross 12:23 PM 01-02-2011
Granted, they aren't all that commonly found.
You know, it may be a cultural thing. I know lots of smokers who think you need to cut 1/2" off. And then they can't figure out why their cigar unravels.
But on the other hand, I think cigar smokers are smarter than the average bear because it's an acquired taste. Especially, once you get pulled down that dark hole of "I need more..I need more."
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 12:25 PM 01-02-2011
I bought one similar from Madeline Company at my local Tobacco Outlet.

But it didn't have the fancy flag on it! :-)
[Reply]
justonemorestick 12:25 PM 01-02-2011
Very Patriotic.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 12:26 PM 01-02-2011
Is the stop removable?
[Reply]
T.G 12:27 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by Darrell:
Sweet, I have a few of the all-metal Liga Privada and JdN backstop cutters from Jon Drew, how many noobs can I go out and cut with them? Is there a limit? Do you smoke your noobs band or band off? What's the best humidity for storing a noob? I know better than to ask if you should store them cello on or off.
[Reply]
T.G 12:29 PM 01-02-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
Is the stop removable?
Yeah.... with a spade drill bit.
[Reply]
tobii3 12:32 PM 01-02-2011
(kicking the thread back on topic)

Nice cutter Katman!
[Reply]
T.G 12:41 PM 01-02-2011
You know, it may be a cultural thing. I know lots of smokers who think you need to cut 1/2" off. And then they can't figure out why their cigar unravels.
But on the other hand, I think cigar smokers are smarter than the average bear because it's an acquired taste. Especially, once you get pulled down that dark hole of "I need more..I need more."
I'd guess that no one ever really explained to them how a cigar was made. Next time you're smoking with them and they complain about their cigar unraveling, do them a favor and explain that it's only the pectin glue under the cap that holds the cigar together.

I think the culture and economics are tied together. Look at what style of cutters are typically sold in B&Ms, especially at the lower price points, due to the higher demand and production volumes, they can get the cheap non-backstop cutters for much less, so they can sell them at a more attractive price, so that's what people buy and don't move away from as they graduate to better cutters. Or don't graduate, and just keep buying the same open cheap cutters and just toss & replace them every now and then.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 01:26 PM 01-02-2011
QUOTE=T.G;1115951]Yeah.... with a spade drill bit.[/quote]

well that works.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up