Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Cigar oasis, hydra lg or set it and forget
Mannyboy 01:30 PM 03-19-2019
I just ordered a tower of power humidor. Which humidifaction system would you run. Lg hydra($150), cigar oasis 3.0 magna ($199)or a set and for get ($320)
[Reply]
Brlesq 01:47 PM 03-19-2019
I have same tower, and use an older model Cigar Oasis that looks like the Magna but has a couple of plug in fans as well
[Reply]
jonumberone 01:57 PM 03-19-2019
When I had the Tower of power humidor, I used the Hydra without issue.
The issue I did have was different humidity levels at the bottom and top.
I wouldn't blame the Hydra, it was more the tall narrow design of the humidor.
I solved the issue by putting a bag of beads on each shelf.
That's the setup that worked for me.

I have the set and forget now, in a different humidor, and I have no issue with it.
I don't use beads any longer, but my current system includes multiple reservoirs and circulation fans.
An extra reservoir in the Tower of Power could be a little cumbersome and eat into the capacity a bit.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:30 PM 03-19-2019
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
When I had the Tower of power humidor, I used the Hydra without issue.
The issue I did have was different humidity levels at the bottom and top.
I wouldn't blame the Hydra, it was more the tall narrow design of the humidor.
I solved the issue by putting a bag of beads on each shelf.
That's the setup that worked for me.
Same here. I even drilled some 1.5” holes in the back of the middle shelf and installed some fans to draw the air/moisture up from the bottom. But when I added the beads it really helped stabilize it.
[Reply]
Hobbs1469 07:35 AM 05-15-2019
I have had my tower for about 7 years now and love it. However, my Hydra LG started acting up about 2 months ago (the alarm stopped working too). It was reading 75.2 degrees and 72.3% humidity all the time but a lot of my stogies were dry and and a few that were unwrapped in the drawers had plume on them. I spoke with one of my vendors about my issues and I ended up purchasing a new Hydra LG. To test my theory I had placed a digital humidistat on the top shelf and lower shelf. The top shelf would read 70.2 degrees but only 36% humidity. The lower shelf would read 69 degrees and 55% humidity. What I found out was my Hydra would not turn on until I dialed the setting to 90%. I wasn't sure if I had too many cigars in the humidor (approximately 1,300), too many individual boxes (approximately 15), etc for not getting an accurate reading. I even tried unplugging the Hydra to reset the humidistat but it seemed to have no effect on the same reading. I recently installed 2 large LG fans into the tower. One on the top shelf and above the (4) trays. Is there a specific way to face the fans for proper air flow? Should I be facing them to draw the moisture being provided by the Hydra, one fan drawing air and one fan pushing air? Do I need to install more fans?

On a side note, I removed the green foam material and started using beads, which seams to work better as they don't promote the mold on the foam material. Just be cautious on how many beads are use in the hydra basin. They can expand fairly quickly. Any insight regarding my questions would be appreciated.
[Reply]
Brlesq 07:45 AM 05-15-2019
I heard about the issues folks had with humidity differing from top to bottom. What I discovered was that you need to put the humidification device on the bottom shelf and aim it towards the front door, since the front of the tower maintains at least a 1/2" gap from top to bottom and impede airflow. Then I added 2 fans: one each third of the way up the tower (again, near the front), pointing 45 degrees upwards and inwards. This helps draw the moisture up.

Finally, I also have a half pound of KL on each shelf to keep everything stable.

I've used this setup since 2013 with good results to maintain 65% humidity.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:20 AM 05-15-2019
Set and Forget.

Aristocrat is top notch.
[Reply]
Up