Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 40 of 42
« First < 30383940 4142 >
Good Eats>Sous vide
kingcobradude 01:03 PM 11-11-2019
Ok, when I first heard of sous vide, I thought it was dumb. Until around Last Christmas when I got one of the machines. I love it and use it all the time.
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:44 PM 11-11-2019
Anyone successfully sous vide artichokes? I’ve tried twice and failed both times...
[Reply]
stearns 01:50 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by kingcobradude:
Ok, when I first heard of sous vide, I thought it was dumb. Until around Last Christmas when I got one of the machines. I love it and use it all the time.
Any favorite recipes?

Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Anyone successfully sous vide artichokes? I’ve tried twice and failed both times...
I haven't done much with vegetables, but that does sound interesting. What consistency are you trying to get with them? I'd think pre-cooking for a spinach dip would be good, but for eating straight I'd think just regular roasting may be better

I've still been using my SV every week or two (pretty much every steak I cook is done in a water bath) but haven't been experimenting as much as my free time gets cut down, but I'm looking forward to playing around again when I get some more time to kill

Anybody cooking anything Sous Vide for thanksgiving dinner?
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:31 PM 11-11-2019
The last time I tried it, I trimmed 1” off the top and removed the stem on a medium choke. Added a little salt, vinegar and oil to the vacuum bag and cooked at 185* for 90 minutes. I tested one and it was not done and put it back in for another 60 minutes and they were no good.

I use my sous vide at least twice a week; I cook chicken, steak/beef, pork and shrimp all the time.

I love my sous vide. My Anova is starting to show it’s age (I can only set it with the Bluetooth app — the control panel does not work, and now the app is hit or miss) and I’m thinking of getting a new one on Black Friday...
[Reply]
T.G 03:53 PM 11-11-2019
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
My Anova is starting to show it’s age (I can only set it with the Bluetooth app — the control panel does not work, and now the app is hit or miss) and I’m thinking of getting a new one on Black Friday...
I don't even use my Anova that much and it's falling apart. Some of the plastic around the casing screws at the bottom of the unit crumbled away one or two runs ago. The motor howls occasionally and I'm on my second or third clamp.

Honesty, I'm not sure I would buy another Anova at this point to replace it.
[Reply]
CigarNut 04:48 PM 11-11-2019
I have some friends that have the newer Anova and it seems to be better built. Anyway, I still like the company and I have had mine for several years and am happy with it.
[Reply]
kingcobradude 08:14 PM 11-11-2019
I mostly do various meat. Chicken and pork being the big one. Makes for a really good pork tenderloin. Also, mashed potatoes is super easy with less mess . I think it would be great for venison, and chocolate desserts where you have to temper chocolate. I haven't had a chance to try them yet.
[Reply]
T.G 09:31 AM 03-15-2020
Bought a cheap ($1.50/lb on sale) corned beef round tip 3lb cut yesterday, soaked it overnight to desalinate, then split it in half. Put one half in a bag, put the other half directly into the water. Put them both in the sous-vide at 165. Going to let that run for 8-10 hours (still researching the time I need). See which one works out better. Going for thin sliced sandwich grade stuff.
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:45 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by T.G:
Bought a cheap ($1.50/lb on sale) corned beef round tip 3lb cut yesterday, soaked it overnight to desalinate, then split it in half. Put one half in a bag, put the other half directly into the water. Put them both in the sous-vide at 165. Going to let that run for 8-10 hours (still researching the time I need). See which one works out better. Going for thin sliced sandwich grade stuff.
Do tell!
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:39 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Do tell!
Waiting......:-)
[Reply]
stearns 07:31 AM 03-18-2020
There was a mixup at my butcher and didn't get my corned beef in time to do a long SV bath, so I boiled it instead. Wish I had waited and cooked it SV one day late :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 09:40 AM 03-18-2020
I might pick up a couple corned beefs now and drop them in the sous vide. I didn’t appropriately celebrate St. Paddy’s day.
[Reply]
T.G 10:12 AM 03-18-2020
Do tell!
Waiting......:-)

Sorry, been a bit swamped at work being the only engineer at a food facility and this whole covid-19 mess.

Desalinated for about 14 hours IIRC. I did a few water changes along the way.

Ran about 7-8 hours SV.

The bagged half came out with the right flavor and was not exactly the texture I was looking for, but once it chilled overnight the texture improved to close enough. I think I'll lengthen the cook time when I do this again. A larger cut would need more desalination time - this one just barely makes the cut for salt levels in my tastes.

The unbagged half came out super tender, and the texture I was pretty much looking for, but super bland. It basically just tastes like a mild roast. Probably would not do it this way again. Or, if I did, I'd skip the desalination.

And, with about a pound left to eat, I am officially sick of corned beef now for the next few months. ugh..
[Reply]
BigAsh 10:32 AM 03-18-2020
Sorry, been a bit swamped at work being the only engineer at a food facility and this whole covid-19 mess.

Desalinated for about 14 hours IIRC. I did a few water changes along the way.

Ran about 7-8 hours SV.

The bagged half came out with the right flavor and was not exactly the texture I was looking for, but once it chilled overnight the texture improved to close enough. I think I'll lengthen the cook time when I do this again. A larger cut would need more desalination time - this one just barely makes the cut for salt levels in my tastes.

The unbagged half came out super tender, and the texture I was pretty much looking for, but super bland. It basically just tastes like a mild roast. Probably would not do it this way again. Or, if I did, I'd skip the desalination.

And, with about a pound left to eat, I am officially sick of corned beef now for the next few months. ugh..
Nice, your job here is done ...for now....GET BACK TO WORK!! :-)
[Reply]
stearns 02:21 PM 03-18-2020
F*** it, bought a new corned beef at whole foods $2 off per pound, gonna bag it up and throw in the freezer so I can sous vide it some time in the next few weeks.
[Reply]
stearns 12:37 PM 04-16-2020
Put a little chunk of pork shoulder in last night, about 2.75lb (cut a bigger piece in two). Going for BBQ pulled pork, because it's smaller I'll do 18 hours at 165* then dry and re-rub and probably an hour in the oven to get a nice crust. Then shred and toss with some of my honey BBQ sauce :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:06 AM 05-22-2020
Do you guys still use your sous vide? I still use mine at least one a week. my anova has a few probs. the keypad is busted so can only setup with blue tooth which is also a little spotty but it works great once set up

We cook boneless chicken thighs and breasts and pork chops all the time and we picked up a tri tip to sous vide sometime soon.

I may get a new one if there is a good sale around black friday or a prime day later this year. or i may just wait until this one dies :-)
[Reply]
stearns 09:31 AM 05-22-2020
I still use mine, although not as much as I'd like. At least once every other week I'll do steaks, last week was NY Strip, but I've also done some filet mignon recently that came out so amazing and tender you could practically cut it with a fork :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 11:19 AM 05-22-2020
Since the advent of COVID19, we've been using doing sous vide quite a bit. Just picked up some boneless pork chops, and they're going in the meat jacuzzi probably on Monday.

Rib eyes last week. Several rounds of beef tenderloin in the weeks prior.
[Reply]
Brlesq 12:43 PM 05-22-2020
We still use ours about 3 days a week. Mostly pork, chicken and beef. Did a London Broil in it yesterday because you can find that cut cheap (paid $2.99/lb). Seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and 131 degrees for 8 hours. Finished on a hot grill, rested and sliced. Nice and tender, and even my picky daughter eats it.

And btw, thick hamburgers for 2-3 hours in the sous vide before grilling are DA' BOMB! Medium rare and juicy the whole way through.
[Reply]
Page 40 of 42
« First < 30383940 4142 >
Up