Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 15 of 38
« First < 5131415 161725 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>What are you roasting today?
Blak Smyth 07:54 PM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
How much is a small roast for you? I'm in the process of determining how much I need to roast per week.

Also, do you have any idea how much weight the beans lose during the roast?
I am not weighing anything currently. I have a Nesco and it only works well with small batches, I would guess about 1/4 lb (maybe more like 1/3lb)
[Reply]
BSB 08:00 AM 01-19-2012
I do 130 gram batches in the Fresh Roast.
Coffee loses about 20% of it's weight during roasting.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:05 AM 01-19-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
I do 130 gram batches in the Fresh Roast.
Coffee loses about 20% of it's weight during roasting.
Thanks!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:59 AM 01-20-2012
Think I am roasting my Monkey Blend tonight so I can get some into the coffee pass, loving the SM label on this one:
[Reply]
ApexAZ 10:14 AM 01-20-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Think I am roasting my Monkey Blend tonight so I can get some into the coffee pass..jpg
Can't wait to see what you think of it. I already did my Gniess espresso blend, so I think I'm going to do some single origin for next week instead of the monkey.

What is a coffee pass?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:12 AM 01-20-2012
What is a coffee pass?
It is a group pass, people sign up and ship a box around the country adding and subtracting equivalents as they choose. It is a cool way to try different coffee from around the country.

If you don't have access yet, you will before too long:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52160
[Reply]
ApexAZ 01:37 PM 01-20-2012
I do have access I just don't look at it all that often I guess. I wouldn't have expected to find a coffee type thread in the cigar section.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:46 PM 01-20-2012
I do have access I just don't look at it all that often I guess. I wouldn't have expected to find a coffee type thread in the cigar section.
It is a coffee and cigar pass actually, the perfect pairing:-)
[Reply]
BSB 09:06 AM 01-21-2012
Guatemala Acatenango Finca La Soledad
Gonna shoot for just FC
[Reply]
CigarSquid 09:08 AM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by blak smyth:
think i am roasting my monkey blend tonight so i can get some into the coffee pass, loving the sm label on this one:
do it!
[Reply]
Garbandz 09:58 AM 01-21-2012
MMMM--MMMMMM..........Roast Monkey.....The Other - Other White Meat.........

Just finished up roasting some Bob-O Link,
Luchadores pacamara,
El Salvador Montecarlos,
and some Burundi Kayanza.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:03 AM 01-21-2012
Sorry coffee passers if you are reading this, the box will not fit anymore coffee and I need to catch up with what I have roasted now before I roast anymore.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 11:07 AM 01-21-2012
Awwwww
[Reply]
ApexAZ 12:49 PM 01-22-2012
I roasted some Ethopian Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala that I got in the SM sampler.

I honestly don't know what it is other than it comes from Etheopia. I tried to get it to City+ according to the recommendations on the bag. I should be able to try it tomorrow!

[Reply]
CigarSquid 01:50 PM 01-22-2012
Looks good.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:29 AM 01-24-2012
I roasted some Ethopian Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala that I got in the SM sampler.

I honestly don't know what it is other than it comes from Etheopia. I tried to get it to City+ according to the recommendations on the bag. I should be able to try it tomorrow!

Can't wait to hear what you think!
[Reply]
BSB 09:04 AM 01-24-2012
Gonna do some El Salvador Las Mercedes Pacamara this morning.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:49 AM 01-24-2012
The Ethopian Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala is very good! It definitely has the notes of citrus they describe. They describe it as being 'bright', but I'm not sure what that means.

I also found out that Limu is the region and that it's on the cusp of what was originally part of the Jimma region, which is why they list both? The Alaga Sekala is the name of the direct trade program they purchase the coffee through.

When I finish this up, I want to try a different region and look for more earthy type flavors. I think I will probably prefer that over the fruit flavors.

I can honestly say that the coffee beats the hell out of dunkin and starbucks.
[Reply]
Mr B 10:03 AM 01-24-2012
Scroll down to see Sweet Maria's def. of Brightness.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/dictionary.php
[Reply]
BSB 11:03 AM 01-24-2012
The Ethopian Limu Jimma - Alaga Sekala is very good! It definitely has the notes of citrus they describe. They describe it as being 'bright', but I'm not sure what that means.

I also found out that Limu is the region and that it's on the cusp of what was originally part of the Jimma region, which is why they list both? The Alaga Sekala is the name of the direct trade program they purchase the coffee through.

When I finish this up, I want to try a different region and look for more earthy type flavors. I think I will probably prefer that over the fruit flavors.

I can honestly say that the coffee beats the hell out of dunkin and starbucks.
If you want "earthy," I suggest some Sumatrans.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 38
« First < 5131415 161725 > Last »
Up