Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>SPAM: the economic measure of our times
markem 09:43 PM 11-14-2008
[the nytimes.com site requires a free login]

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/bu...hp&oref=slogin

AUSTIN, Minn. — The economy is in tatters and, for millions of people, the future is uncertain. But for some employees at the Hormel Foods Corporation plant here, times have never been better. They are working at a furious pace and piling up all the overtime they want.

. . .

Hormel declined to cooperate with this article, but several of its workers were interviewed here recently with the help of their union, the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union Local 9. Slumped in chairs at the union hall after making 149,950 cans of Spam on the day shift, several workers said they been through boom times before — but nothing like this.

Spam “seems to do well when hard times hit,” said Dan Bartel, business agent for the union local. “We’ll probably see Spam lines instead of soup lines.”

[my note: many cultures use SPAM as a mainstay, but the idea of SPAM as a predictor of recession/depression doesn't appear to be new]
[Reply]
Neuromancer 10:34 PM 11-14-2008
SPAM = Something posing as meat...:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 10:55 PM 11-14-2008
I like Spam, Vienna Sausages, and Potted meat. Hormel gets two :-) from me. If only my wife and children would eat it, I'd save a ton of money on food.

Try cutting up some Vienna Sausages and mixing it w/ some macaroni and cheese. MMmmmmmmm...:-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 11:35 PM 11-14-2008
I like Spam, but can buy almost 3 cans of Treet for price of one can of Spam. Less fat and soduim content in Treet, and I'm guessing Treet is full of all the same "goodness" that can be found in a can of Spam!!! One can of Treet or Spam, 8 slices of bread, and you have 2, maybe three meals for a total cost under 3 dollars, depending on where you live.

Spam Trivia question (no cheating on the internet): By a wide margin, which state consumes the most Spam per capita??
[Reply]
Pat1075 11:53 PM 11-14-2008
Hawaii?
[Reply]
icehog3 11:55 PM 11-14-2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
[Reply]
Starscream 12:16 AM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Spam Trivia question (no cheating on the internet): By a wide margin, which state consumes the most Spam per capita??
NY or Michigan.
Originally Posted by icehog3:
:-)
[Reply]
Neuromancer 12:38 PM 11-15-2008
I like Spam, but can buy almost 3 cans of Treet for price of one can of Spam. Less fat and soduim content in Treet, and I'm guessing Treet is full of all the same "goodness" that can be found in a can of Spam!!!...

...Spam Trivia question (no cheating on the internet): By a wide margin, which state consumes the most Spam per capita??
Didn't cheat...I'm pretty sure it's Hawaii...iirc they go nuts for the stuff there...and as far as the difference between Spam and Treet, Spam is made from real pieces of ham...Treet is made from mechanically separated meat...go look up the difference on google and you'll see why Spam outsells Treet...

Originally Posted by icehog3:
:-)...a favorite...
[Reply]
Jason 12:48 PM 11-15-2008
always a recession on at my house

beware of Canadian knockoffs:

[Reply]
dannyboy 12:53 PM 11-15-2008
Yeah, Hawaii is definitley the most Spam per capita. People flip for the stuff over here, you can even get Spam and rice off the breakfast menu at McDonalds here.
[Reply]
dunng 12:54 PM 11-15-2008
Yummy, it's been years since I've had it... :-)

http://www.spamrecipes.net/
[Reply]
replicant_argent 01:05 PM 11-15-2008
SPAM is good comfort food eats. Grilled spam tailgating? Hundreds of uses. Fried Spam and eggs for breakfast? Artery clogging goodness.
[Reply]
punch54 05:58 PM 11-15-2008
The spam with tobasco in it,not to bad.
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 06:04 PM 11-15-2008
Recession or not I like SPAM, my Dad does, my Grandfather did. I think it comes form the millitary for them and it reminds me of them.

As one of the other posters mentioned, comfort food.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:29 PM 11-15-2008
Although I cannot say I am a SPAM connosieur by anymeans, I will admit that I do enjoy a warm Spamwhich. Try it like a BLT :-)

Definitely Hawaii. Spam Sushi :-)
[Reply]
Neuromancer 09:18 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by dunng:
Yummy, it's been years since I've had it... :-)

http://www.spamrecipes.net/
Back when I still ate meat I would occasionally buy a can of Spam but haven't had it for years also...and when I was young and in military school my mother used to send it to me in care packages and we'd heat it up on the hotplate we had hidden in our room if we didn't like what the mess hall served that night...hmmmm...it's just ham....hmmm...maybe a little cheat from my vegetarian diet...damn you guys are making me hungry for Spam... :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 10:57 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by Neuromancer:
it's just ham....hmmm...maybe a little cheat from my vegetarian diet...damn you guys are making me hungry for Spam... :-)
Are you sure you would be cheating on your veggie diet? Spam is real meat?:-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 11:34 PM 11-15-2008
All guessing Hawaii are correct. I wasn't aware of their love for Spam until I caught the episode of Bizarre Foods in Hawaii. They take it to a whole different level there!!

One thing I love about my gmail account. When you open the spam folder, there's always a link to a different Spam recipe above the spam mail. Gotta love it!:-)

If Pat1075 will PM me his addy, I'll drop you a little something in the mail for being first with the answer. But you must do the "pinkie" swear that you didn't google it!

Plus you can't be in a hurry for the package. If I get addy in time, I'll get a package out before I leave home for a week. Otherwise, it'll be another week before I can do a mailing!
[Reply]
SeanGAR 12:04 AM 11-16-2008
I'd rather eat cat food. If you want something cheap, beans and rice are a heck of a lot cheaper and healthier than spam.
[Reply]
SSatVT 12:23 AM 11-16-2008
I like Spam, but can buy almost 3 cans of Treet for price of one can of Spam. Less fat and soduim content in Treet, and I'm guessing Treet is full of all the same "goodness" that can be found in a can of Spam!!! One can of Treet or Spam, 8 slices of bread, and you have 2, maybe three meals for a total cost under 3 dollars, depending on where you live.

According to TastyIsland.com Spam is the best that is out there. My google search of Treet came up with:
http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/200...subi-showdown/

As for me. I can't say that I am a big fan of the stuff, but it has been a while. I might have to try it again.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up