Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
General Discussion>Speeding ticket. OUCH!!!
spectrrr 07:18 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Worst area of the country to drive in. Ever. :-)
which one - SoCal or MA?
Boston drivers arnt exactly tame.... I remember learning to drive ("safely") there for a year, then coming back to Ohio to complete my drivers ed and get my Ohio licence.... I scared the SH!T out of that poor instructor... she was hittin the chicken brake on her side every 5 minutes. It's not that i'm a bad driver, to this day i've maintained a perfect record... just folks drive differently there :-)
[Reply]
RGD. 08:22 PM 11-10-2008
Just be thankful you didn't get that ticket in Virginia. Just a few notes:

If you are cited for 20mph over the speed limit . . . you may be facing the very serious charge of reckless driving. In Virginia this is a criminal violation and a mandatory court appearance. The judge has the option of fining you up to $2500 plus one year in jail. Jail time is unusual but does happen.
If you are a VA driver, you will be subject to the reckless driving $1050 surcharge payable to the VA DMV on top of the court fine . . .

Ron
[Reply]
webjunkie 08:41 PM 11-10-2008
I "love" crossing the border from NC to VA.

Welcome to Virginia.... speed limit enforced by aircraft.
[Reply]
neoflex 08:55 PM 11-10-2008
Yeah, Virginia is no joke. Whenever I go from NC back to NY I always set the cruise at the speed limit. Those fuggers are good at hiding and will get you every time. I think NC has a deal with the attorneys. When my wife received her ticket we had about 50 solicitations from Attorneys come in the mail and rumor has it, if you hire an attorney for a speeder 99.9% of the time the knock it down to faulty equipment. I giggled when my wife got hers and they knocked it down to that because my wifes 4 Runner was about 2 weeks old at that point. I joked for awhile saying, what a POS that damn truck must be!
[Reply]
webjunkie 09:20 PM 11-10-2008
Yeah, I never never ever speed if I have to go anywhere near Greensboro.

On the other hand my brother got a bogus ticket in Morrisville. Was cited for going 45 in a 35, but was going over railroad tracks and his blue miata was listed as a gray sedan on the ticket. He'd had the car for less than a week and was still in 'must protect baby' mode. Cop didn't show in court, so my brother got off easy... besides attorney fees.

Of course he was only being careful because it was his car and he hadn't really been all that careful with our parents car.
[Reply]
spectrrr 10:33 PM 11-10-2008
wow, thats brutal.. good to know for next time i'm driving thorugh VA
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 10:50 PM 11-10-2008
I was speeding in WY back in '99 when I was on my way to Fort Bragg. (We were going to visit family outside Chicago.) Well I was cruising along for like an hour or so and didn't see anyone of either side of the highway and just started picking up the pace. Well when I passed the cop in the bushes I let off the gas and when he caught up to me he was pissed. I saw him I knew I was wrong I slowed down and pulled over. He had me get out of the car and had me sit in the back of his car. I am pretty sure I would have gotten arrested but my wife who was asleep until I pulled over was crying. Well the police officer gave me a ticket and a warning. He told me I was going over 130 but only wrote the ticket up for 130. The ticket was 250. That was my Christmas present that year. No more speeding from me. Well once but it was only 5 over. I was wrong. I pay the fines.
[Reply]
acarr 11:10 PM 11-10-2008
The new hidden tax. There are so many photo red lights and photo radar around here, I don't think we have police officers any more:-)
[Reply]
groogs 11:16 PM 11-10-2008
The most I have ever paid was $220 for doing 85 in a 65, but the CHP only wrote me up for doing 75. It helps to be very polite when dealing with police officers.:-)
[Reply]
Wolfgang 11:17 PM 11-10-2008
Luckily ive never been been caught. But in my speeding days i remember doing 125 in a 25mph zone. Man i love that Caddy CTS :-)
[Reply]
Tombstone 06:08 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by acruce:
So, your saying I should have paid the ticket let go on my record. Then my insurance goes up? In my opinion that would be kind of a dumb move.Thats what attorney's are for.
Next time don't break the law and you will not have to worry about things going on your record.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:40 AM 11-11-2008
My buddy in Arizona told me that they have photo enforced radar traps on the freeway. Kinda like the redlight photos, but for speeding. :-) I'm sure they make a LOT of money from those.
[Reply]
Tombstone 07:01 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by ucla695:
My buddy in Arizona told me that they have photo enforced radar traps on the freeway. Kinda like the redlight photos, but for speeding. :-) I'm sure they make a LOT of money from those.
Welcome to the USSA home of the free.:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:57 AM 11-11-2008
In Amelia, Ohio, my wife got pulled over for doing 40 in a 35! Cinci goril- er- inmates- likely all are aware of this speed trap area!
[Reply]
tobii3 01:46 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by acruce:
So, your saying I should have paid the ticket let go on my record. Then my insurance goes up? In my opinion that would be kind of a dumb move.Thats what attorney's are for.
So, you hired an attorney because you made a dumb move???

I'm trying to figure out the logic here.........:-)

Originally Posted by groogs:
It helps to be very polite when dealing with police officers.
Having a sense of humor after getting pulled over for speeding (you KNOW you were breaking the law) is always in your best interest.

My best ticket was in SC near the GA border.....I went through the speed trap at 135+

I saw the cab lights of the vehicle in the median, locked up the brakes, laughed my ass off and pulled over....lit a cigarette and waited for the cop to arrive.

Laughed and joked with the guy for about 20 -30 minutes.

About two weeks later I had my court date, went in, appeared before the judge and pleaded no contest, guilty (also known as "no lo contendere")

Paid $75 in court costs.

Moral of the story?? Don't be a jacka$$ when YOU KNOW you were breaking the law - be man enough to admit when you are wrong. If you have to hire an attorney, you KNOW you were wrong.:-)
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 01:52 PM 11-11-2008
Got nailed going 86 in a 55. Between the ticket and lawyer fee it ended up costing me $500 bucks. The first time I ever got pulled over I was drag racing with a buddy of mine along the entrance way to our college (its a straight two lane strip for almost quarter of a mile). Neither of us realized a University Police cop pulled behind us waiting for the light to turn green. The cop said I was going 70 in a 20 and let me off with a warning after I told him we were having fun after a big win (we beat our school rival in extra innings)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 02:11 PM 11-11-2008
I got a ton of tickets as a youngster. Almost lost my license. I had a 74 Firebird 400. Not a good car for a 16-17 year-old.

MCS
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 03:00 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly:
I got a ton of tickets as a youngster. Almost lost my license. I had a 74 Firebird 400. Not a good car for a 16-17 year-old.

MCS

I meant Firebird Formula 400

MCS
[Reply]
Tombstone 03:08 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by tobii3:
So, you hired an attorney because you made a dumb move???

I'm trying to figure out the logic here.........:-)

Having a sense of humor after getting pulled over for speeding (you KNOW you were breaking the law) is always in your best interest.

My best ticket was in SC near the GA border.....I went through the speed trap at 135+

I saw the cab lights of the vehicle in the median, locked up the brakes, laughed my ass off and pulled over....lit a cigarette and waited for the cop to arrive.

Laughed and joked with the guy for about 20 -30 minutes.

About two weeks later I had my court date, went in, appeared before the judge and pleaded no contest, guilty (also known as "no lo contendere")

Paid $75 in court costs.

Moral of the story?? Don't be a jacka$$ when YOU KNOW you were breaking the law - be man enough to admit when you are wrong. If you have to hire an attorney, you KNOW you were wrong.:-)
Exactly!!!:-):-)
[Reply]
nozero 03:26 PM 11-11-2008
Around $200 for 79 in a 60 East bound on I20 in Arlington, TX. I do try to watch my speed more now.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up