Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>IT Guys - How to block chat programs.
RGD. 07:13 PM 11-16-2008
Just like the title says - what protocol's (if any) can I block to stop programs like Windows Messenger, AIM, etc from being used.

Have a daughter whom I need to curtail without keeping her off the net totally.

Thanks,

Ron
[Reply]
SeanGAR 07:41 PM 11-16-2008
You have a hardware or software firewall?
[Reply]
Walt 07:58 PM 11-16-2008
You may be able to log into your modem/router and access an allow/disallow list. This would result in the entire network loosing access to chat programs, so you would have to turn it on/off as other family members need it.

Also,
Even if you block the program itself from access to the net, some of these clients have web access which may get around it. For instance, you can log into AIM.com and chat from the browser. You would have to restrict it in the browser settings as well.

Not sure if that helps you at all, just thinking out loud.
[Reply]
RGD. 08:09 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
You have a hardware or software firewall?
On her computer I have Eset Security installed which has a configurable firewall to some extent. Also have a LinkSys router with it's software.

Originally Posted by Walt:
You may be able to log into your modem/router and access an allow/disallow list. This would result in the entire network loosing access to chat programs, so you would have to turn it on/off as other family members need it.

Also,
Even if you block the program itself from access to the net, some of these clients have web access which may get around it. For instance, you can log into AIM.com and chat from the browser. You would have to restrict it in the browser settings as well.

Not sure if that helps you at all, just thinking out loud.
Personally I don't know much about chat programs - so every little bit helps.

Ron
[Reply]
MithShrike 10:35 PM 11-16-2008
http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/no_chat.html

That might help you some.
[Reply]
a2vr6 05:51 AM 11-17-2008
What router make/model have you got?
[Reply]
Seanohue 05:53 AM 11-17-2008
If you know the port ranges for the chat program you can set you're router's firewall to block them.
[Reply]
poker 06:19 AM 11-17-2008
Found a free program called TerminatorX V2

They have a 28 day free trial.

http://www.plevna.f9.co.uk/index.htm
[Reply]
theycallmedan'lboone 07:25 AM 11-17-2008
uninstall the programs.
[Reply]
Volt 07:37 AM 11-17-2008
Originally Posted by RGD.:
Just like the title says - what protocol's (if any) can I block to stop programs like Windows Messenger, AIM, etc from being used.

Have a daughter whom I need to curtail without keeping her off the net totally.

Thanks,

Ron
Ok, I'm not goning to debate the right/wrong of what a parent chooses to do in protecting their child. IMO, a child gets only those rights/priviledges the parent chooses to hand out. I work in schools, work in IT, and have set a ton of individualized home PCs for friends who have children.

1. Consider a full on protection program such as Net Nanny, Cyber Sitter, etc. Read reviews and assess their differences, each person has different needs. Be aware no software is perfect. It's easier to manage a tool than to piece meal a "protection" system. Once you make a decsion, them Google "how to disable XXXXX software.... Amazing what they try to do.

2. Limit children logon to a limited or power user account - NO admin rights. If a new game needs to be loaded, you do it. This prohibits them from installing intentionally/or a bad piece of drive by malware software from being installed. Also as the admin, they have the power to "undo" many of the protections your trying to set up.

3. With a child that is really heading for trouble (or not), a key logger program which will trap all their key strokes. A friend of mine convienitly has "family pizza night out" when he know his 16 yr old daughter has plans to a party that no adults will be at.

4. Place the PC in an open area of the house.

5. There is software and hardware that will only allow power on or the ability to logon to the PC at given times.

I love the trusting and nieve parents, I get $30 an hour to fix/repair/install/etc (MY PART TIME WORK) the mistakes the kids wreck on the PC or after a bad event/situation and they have to try to lock down the PC. As I teach in the schools, I get to hear all their plans, read printed emails/tests (phone, AOL, etc), Facebook/myspace pages, etc. For all the parents who say "my straight "A" littel Suzi insn't doing any of that" - you so do not have a clue about your kids.

Children do not have the wisdom to make the best decsion at times. No matter what their best intent is, peer pressure is crushing at their age, they will buckle, everyone here has at some time. If we were lucky we survived..... Kids have grown up in this world, we had to learn the PC age as it happened. They are better educated in it's ways....
[Reply]
piperman 10:26 AM 11-17-2008
Funny you say that, last night I had to restrict my daughter from everything but chat, she was caught on MySpace, My son-in-law has her computer routed to a different DNS, I dont really know but I can find out if you want.
[Reply]
a2vr6 02:02 AM 11-18-2008
All good points by Volt. You can also invest about $80 in a decent router. I currently have the Dlink dir655 and it has some really great features like access control (disable specific websites access) and web filters. Another thing is you can have MSN chat snooper setup that has her chats emailed to you every day. Lots of stuff that can help. A stealth logger would also work as you can install it without the user knowing. For this I would recommend Spector Pro, a little pricey but worth it. Can also be freely found on Newsgroups/Torrents. Check out the software available: http://monitoring-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
[Reply]
Mark C 05:31 AM 11-18-2008
I use a program called K9 Web Security for the computers I manage at my church. Very easy interface, with many options for restrictions. And it's completely free.

Whatever you use, make sure you find a way to block proxies as well. The kids I know are all signed up to email lists, or facebook groups that will give them the latest and greatest proxy before their school blocks it. That seems to be a moving target since new proxies are constantly becoming available. K9 continually updates their list to try and stay on top of that. Hopefully if your kid finds one that works, it won't be good for long.
[Reply]
Volt 06:03 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by a2vr6:
All good points by Volt. You can also invest about $80 in a decent router. I currently have the Dlink dir655 and it has some really great features like access control (disable specific websites access) and web filters. Another thing is you can have MSN chat snooper setup that has her chats emailed to you every day. Lots of stuff that can help. A stealth logger would also work as you can install it without the user knowing. For this I would recommend Spector Pro, a little pricey but worth it. Can also be freely found on Newsgroups/Torrents. Check out the software available: http://monitoring-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Pricey? Pay me now or pay me later..... Easier to handle little issues before they become Big Events.

Originally Posted by Mark C:
I use a program called K9 Web Security for the computers I manage at my church. Very easy interface, with many options for restrictions. And it's completely free.

Whatever you use, make sure you find a way to block proxies as well. The kids I know are all signed up to email lists, or facebook groups that will give them the latest and greatest proxy before their school blocks it. That seems to be a moving target since new proxies are constantly becoming available. K9 continually updates their list to try and stay on top of that. Hopefully if your kid finds one that works, it won't be good for long.
Thats why I recommend a full fledged protection suite. The better ones will allow for white and black lists. That is what you are paying for. Someone trying to hand manage and who isn't up on the work arounds will just piss the child off into realling sneaking around. Damn hard for them to be on website XYZ if the PC is sitting in the living room.....
[Reply]
Up