Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>CPU Guys! Need help finding a part for XPS Laptop!
parafumar 10:44 AM 11-15-2008
ok, so I posted a couple days ago looking for a spare machine for visitors...

Now, I need to resurrect my machine. I have a dell XPS M170 laptop that had a couple problems. First, had to replace the motherboard for a power connector problem, then the AC adapter since the rev did not match. Went ahead and upgraded the RAM while I was there, just for grins.

Now, the video card is dead. I have the Geforce Go 6800, though there is an 'upgrade' available (I think it is the 7800).

Problem is, I can not find these cards for an 'affordable' price. I don't need the upgrade, just one that works for the best price I can get - no matter the version. $500 from Dell, $300 from ePAY - and I don't even know for certain that will fix it (I believe it will though)...

Anyone have a source? Know a guy?
[Reply]
dunng 12:43 PM 11-15-2008
Easiest thing would have been just to replace the jack on the motherboard... usually it can be done under $60... let me know the part number and I can source it directly from Dell (I have a platinum account). :-)
[Reply]
parafumar 12:45 PM 11-15-2008
will do - once I can find it... I guess I need to take 'er apart again.

As for the jack - my kid knocked it off and it landed on the jack while plugged in, so it put a hairline crack in the mobo.
[Reply]
dunng 12:46 PM 11-15-2008
Originally Posted by parafumar:
As for the jack - my kid knocked it off and it landed on the jack while plugged in, so it put a hairline crack in the mobo.
Ouch! :-)
[Reply]
parafumar 12:49 PM 11-15-2008
yep. Just remembered the svc tag - PM sent
[Reply]
Up