< 12
General Discussion>Won Award - Popular Science "Best of What's New"
Aladdin Sane 04:37 PM 11-12-2008
AWESOME!

Congrats! :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 04:40 PM 11-12-2008
CONGRATS, SIR!!!
I imagine you are celebrating tonight, I most certainly would be.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 04:53 PM 11-12-2008
Hey... I KNOW him!

(My brush with greatness.) :-)

Great job, Mr. Moo!!! :-)
[Reply]
SSatVT 04:58 PM 11-12-2008
Congratulations Dan!:-)
That is a very interesting product.

Seth
[Reply]
Spect 05:16 PM 11-12-2008
Originally Posted by galaga:
Congrats Mr. Moo

Just shows to go ya, you can lead a cow to water, but you can't make it change its polyethylenes to polyamides.
:-)
No wait... I'm more like :-)

Congrats Mr. Moo, looks like good stuff!
[Reply]
BarneyBandMan 06:39 PM 11-12-2008
Nice work, Dan. :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 06:43 PM 11-12-2008
That's really cool, Dan.

MCS
[Reply]
floydpink 07:02 PM 11-12-2008
This definitely deserves a congratulations, and certainly has my attention as I have seen lots of hurricanes living in Florida.

I will be keeping my eye on this product.

Does this product fasten on the outside of the house?
[Reply]
jledou 07:05 PM 11-12-2008
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
Hoo boy.... (Bless the good people at DuPont... there are many.)

Kevlar has its place, but not usually in a high flexion non-composite form, outdoors, exposed to moisture, high levels of UV-radiation and the other odd environmental hazards that diminish the working properties of the family of aromatic polyamides. Shall I be more specific? No, no... of course not.

Our patented laminate begins with S900 Honeywell Spectra ultra high molecular weight polyethylene and is bonded, with a special process, to ethylene vinyl acetate film. It ends up at more than double the tenacity of type xx Kevlar, in excess of 30 grams/denier. Or, in other words, more than twice the strength of Kevlar without the application shortcomings.

Otherwise... Hooray for Kevlar. It still saves a lot of lives.
Way over my head too, I am over in refining (gasoline) not in the fibers. Glad there are men and women out there that do know all of this! Another Congratulations! This should go a long way in helping reduce damage, maybe even saving a cigar or two in the process!
[Reply]
Budprince 07:21 PM 11-12-2008
VEEEEEeeeeerrry Cool my friend! Congratulations!! Very clever approach. :-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 08:07 PM 11-12-2008
Originally Posted by floydpink:
Does this product fasten on the outside of the house?
Yes, grommets on the product locate over Panelmates (which are anchored in headers and footers) and are held in place with wing nuts. The zipper permits deployment from inside the home, eliminating the need for ladder- or rooftop climbing.

The fabric weighs only 1.5 ounces per sq/foot but is about to be certified for Wind Zone Five (170mph).

It's all here: http://floridabuilding.org/upload/PR...-Rest%20HS.pdf :-)
[Reply]
KenS 08:12 PM 11-12-2008
That, sir, is damn impressive. Great recognition :-)
Can we make airplanes out of that stuff?
[Reply]
KenS 08:14 PM 11-12-2008
Yes, grommets on the product locate over Panelmates (which are anchored in headers and footers) and are held in place with wing nuts. The zipper permits deployment from inside the home, eliminating the need for ladder- or rooftop climbing.

The fabric weighs only 1.5 ounces per sq/foot but is about to be certified for Wind Zone Five (170mph).

I read the documentation very carefully. Didn't see any mention of Mister Moo. I assume they use some kind of nickname for you at work? :-) :-)
[Reply]
macms 10:21 PM 11-12-2008
Congrats Dan. Entrepreneur extraordinaire!
[Reply]
Mister Moo 05:50 AM 11-13-2008
Originally Posted by KenS:
I read the documentation very carefully. Didn't see any mention of Mister Moo. I assume they use some kind of nickname for you at work? :-) :-)
Name is on the fabric, fabric lamination, end-use and zipper-for-egress patents or patent applications. Search "US Patent Orifice Mister Moo" and something will turn up. :-)

We're more maritime than aviation oriented for most applications. Exception - The fabric is used on the non-pressurized (A)C130 Spooky or Sprectre gunships; it forms a seal in the fuselage opening where the cannon protrudes. Interesting stresses on fabric in that spot. It's windy out there.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...um=4&ct=title#
[Reply]
Sr Mike 06:08 AM 11-13-2008
Dan, that is awesome, congrats. What I am really pleased about, is you (your company) has been recognized and awarded for a product that can protect so many.

According to TIME mag, in 2007, the best product of the year was the Apply iPhone. Inside that same mag, there was mention of a machine that can take any blood type, change the proteins and turn the blood into O negative. An amazing piece of equipment that will save so many lives in a disaster when blood is desperately needed, yet the best product was a freaking cell phone. Sure I understand the thinking as to why the phone won, but it is a far inferior product, in my mind, compared to the blood changing machine.

So to you, I say thank you and congrats, a product well deserving of recognition.
[Reply]
floydpink 09:55 AM 11-13-2008

Anything more than 170 would be catestrohpic.

More than likely, I will be shopping for these. I probably need to read further to find out if they are available in my area.

Ironically, I was about to install brackets for pre cut plywood.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:13 PM 11-13-2008
Originally Posted by floydpink:
...plywood.
Avoid plywood is my only advice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuaeRY3u_AE
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up