Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
General Discussion>Speeding ticket. OUCH!!!
-MG- 03:36 PM 11-11-2008
Mine was around $350 for running a yellow light in a construction zone, the judge dropped it to about $140 when I went in to (honestly) say I thought I didn't do anything wrong since it was yellow when I entered the intersection, and the light barely turned red by the time I was out of it.

The cop and judge looked at me like I was crazy, but they took pity on me anyway :-)
[Reply]
GKitty 03:48 PM 11-11-2008
Wow... I really needed this thread today. Thanks, guys.

I got my first ticket in 3 years yesterday and felt like a complete a$$hat. I was just running late and in a hurry and ran right into a speed trap. Worst part is, I know it's there. I drive through it almost every morning. This is what my dad calls the "Not Paying Attention Tax".

oh well, I was just going to spend that $130 on frivilous things anyway.
[Reply]
BamBam 04:09 PM 11-11-2008
Not to thread jack, but as I have been quietly reading this I have chuckled as I constantly see the words "speed trap".

Just curious how everyone defines the word "speed trap"?

All too often people tend to use this term as anywhere that they get caught speeding. They use it as a way to make themselves feel better and pretend that they were a victim of something. When in all actuality it was there own fault but couldn't bring themselves to take responsibility for their own actions.
[Reply]
GKitty 08:40 PM 11-11-2008
I define a speed trap as a specific location officers setup with their radar guns due to a high frequency of speeding in that area.

In my case, it's a street where the speed limit goes from 40 to 25 across an intersection governed by a stoplight. In my case, I arrived at the intersection while the light was green and just continued through. My failure to slow immediately is what earned me my ticket. 25' back, I wasn't speeding. Across that intersection though.... BAM!! $130, please and thank you.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:58 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by GKitty:
I define a speed trap as a specific location officers setup with their radar guns due to a high frequency of speeding in that area.

In my case, it's a street where the speed limit goes from 40 to 25 across an intersection governed by a stoplight. In my case, I arrived at the intersection while the light was green and just continued through. My failure to slow immediately is what earned me my ticket. 25' back, I wasn't speeding. Across that intersection though.... BAM!! $130, please and thank you.
In Illinois, the law dictates that speeding will not be enforced until 500 feet from a speed limit change, so I think you got a raw deal by you, GKitty. :-)
[Reply]
GKitty 11:17 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
In Illinois, the law dictates that speeding will not be enforced until 500 feet from a speed limit change, so I think you got a raw deal by you, GKitty. :-)
Wish you hadn't told me that... now I'm going to get crazy ideas.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:19 PM 11-11-2008
Wish you hadn't told me that... now I'm going to get crazy ideas.
Check the statutes in your state, a not guilty plea might be in order if he was that close to the speed change when he clocked you. :-)
[Reply]
Scottw 11:26 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Check the statutes in your state, a not guilty plea might be in order if he was that close to the speed change when he clocked you. :-)
Tom, you are both a gentleman and a scholar!
[Reply]
icehog3 03:42 PM 11-12-2008
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Tom, you are both a gentleman and a scholar!
In addition to being a DB, Scott? :-) :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 04:54 PM 11-12-2008
:-)

Sorry to hear that GKitty. Good thing this is your first in years. :-)
[Reply]
pearson 07:03 PM 11-12-2008
So I pulled out of the driveway of my parrents house sept 12th and lit up the tires, well of course I get pulled over 25 feet from home. when he pulls me over he asks me why I was wasting gas. so I simply told him that I am a guy we like the smell of burning rubber and raw fuel.

so we do the normal paper work and the office tell me that my insurance is expired (it expired sept 11th and the new one was in the house but I did not have a key and my parrents were not home). oh oops so if you can provide proof of insurance within 20days they drop the charge.

but then the officer says it smell like you have been smokeing something in the car.

yes I just drove 2 hours and had a cigar on the way, there is a baggie of them on the passanger seat. You want one? (just being nice not trying to bribe) he thought that it was funny and said no.

but then he asks to search my car for MJ so I say that I have nothing to hide so go for it but there are two pocket knives in the car. so he searched the car looked at the HIGHLY illegal knife in the glove box and puts it right back not saying a thing.

but in the end I get a ticket for drag racing no seat belt and expired insurance. 120.

And what total bull **** who in their right mind can give some one with this on the door a ticket.

[Reply]
tobii3 10:02 PM 11-12-2008
Originally Posted by pearson:
So I pulled out of the driveway of my parrents house sept 12th and lit up the tires.......And what total bull **** who in their right mind can give some one with this on the door a ticket.
I'll play your game....The Officer entrusted to enforce, oh, I don't know, the LAW that says DON'T BE A DUMBASS BEHIND THE WHEEL???

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:02 AM 11-17-2008
****!!!

i just got 4 tickets, all from the same night same route, grand total 350 euro. And strangely enough I was caught twice with just a minute apart, first at 2:41 am and 2:42 am, then at 3;14 am and 3:15 am. Dammit!! I called the cops and there are actually indeed 2 times 2 traffic endorcement camera's in a row on that route.

well, I can only blame myself, it was my foot on the pedal
[Reply]
icehog3 09:04 AM 11-17-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
****!!!

i just got 4 tickets, all from the same night same route, grand total 350 euro. And strangely enough I was caught twice with just a minute apart, first at 2:41 am and 2:42 am, then at 3;14 am and 3:15 am. Dammit!! I called the cops and there are actually indeed 2 times 2 traffic endorcement camera's in a row on that route.

well, I can only blame myself, it was my foot on the pedal
That sucks, Ferdinand! :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:07 AM 11-17-2008
tell me, no x-mas presents (read: boxes of cigars) for me this holiday :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up