Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Recommendations on a box purchase...
GhostRyder 01:27 PM 04-22-2009
So, I have a friend commissioning as a 2Lt in the Army in a few weeks. I want to pick up a box of cigars for all of the guests attending his commissioning after-party. There are a handful of us that enjoy cigars regularly, and a few more that will probably smoke but couldn't care less whether it was a Cremosa or a PSD4. Anyway, I'm looking for an affordable but enjoyable box that will cater to a variety of different smokers. Any recommendations? I was thinkin CAO Brazilia (but thats on the higher end of what I'd like to spend). Maybe Sancho Panza Double Maduros? I've never had one but I hear they're pretty good for a cheap smoke. Any recommendations are welcome, I realize that a Maddie might be a little too much for any rookie that decides to smoke for the first time, so I'm very open minded.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 01:30 PM 04-22-2009
Any Oliva. Maybe O or G natural.
[Reply]
Volt 01:32 PM 04-22-2009
Hmmm, I concur on the Oliva G. Very inexpensive, very tasty, and mild enough to let a few first timers get a shot at a good cigar.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 01:43 PM 04-22-2009
The Olivias would certainly fit the bill... but so would those Sancho Panzas and they sure aren't expensive.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 01:44 PM 04-22-2009
Any idea on an amount so the suggestions can be tailored to get the most 'bang for the buck'?

edit... I just saw the few weeks stipulation..... that may put a damper on a "for sure" CC purchase arrival.
[Reply]
md4958 01:48 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate:
Any Oliva. Maybe O or G natural.
Originally Posted by Volt:
Hmmm, I concur on the Oliva G. Very inexpensive, very tasty, and mild enough to let a few first timers get a shot at a good cigar.
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
The Olivias would certainly fit the bill....
:-) x4
[Reply]
tsolomon 01:51 PM 04-22-2009
Another vote for the Oliva Serie G Cameroon. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 01:52 PM 04-22-2009
I concur with the O or G. Also would suggest the ~eccj~ for about $85 or a Lot 23 for the lower end for about $55. :-)
[Reply]
darkninja67 01:56 PM 04-22-2009
Oliva O maduro (just had one and it was excellent) or some Sancho Panza Double Maduros.
[Reply]
CigarmanTim 02:02 PM 04-22-2009
I agree with the Oliva Seris G camaroon.....or maybe an H. Upmann vintage camaroon
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 02:02 PM 04-22-2009
I just picked up a box of Perdomo Reserve Limited Oscuro, and they are really tasty. I think they would would fit the bill with a price tag of 59.95 (after the CI free shipping code) as well as satisfy new and old smokers alike.

Good luck, and tell your friend Thank You for his service! :-)
[Reply]
Boobar 02:04 PM 04-22-2009
Oliva Serie G Maduro
Oliva Serie O Maduro
Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro
5 Vegas Series 'A'

All very tasty and all pretty inexpensive especially on the CBid.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 02:05 PM 04-22-2009
Nestor Reserve Maduro

Only so I can be different..
[Reply]
bobarian 02:15 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by volfan:
Padron 2000s are a very good smoke for such an occasion or you can get a box of Fuente Curly Head Deluxe Maduros for a little less money if I remember correctly.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 02:43 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by volfan:
Padron 2000s are a very good smoke for such an occasion or you can get a box of Fuente Curly Head Deluxe Maduros for a little less money if I remember correctly.
:-) I have to jump on this train of thought as well!:-)
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 02:45 PM 04-22-2009
chisels.

hee hee...
[Reply]
AD720 02:48 PM 04-22-2009
Another vote for Oliva G's.

While I agree that the Padron X000 series are great smokes I think the Olivas are a little more accessible to the novice smoker taste-wise.
[Reply]
gnukfu 04:32 PM 04-22-2009
Padron 2000 Maddy or Natural always come to mind...just a great smoke for a good price.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 04:36 PM 04-22-2009
Originally Posted by CigarmanTim:
I agree with the Oliva Seris G camaroon.....or maybe an H. Upmann vintage camaroon
+1 for either of these. The nice thing about the Upmann is that the box presentation is impressive enough for this special occasion. I'd also stay away from the larger vitola, go with a corona or robusto in whatever you buy.

Also, I don't think the SPDM is an overpowering maduro. It's actually on the medium side, but pleasantly flavorful.

Good luck with whatever you do, and congrats to your soon to be commissioned buddy. Hoo-rah! :-) By "SW Virginia" do you mean either the VT or Radford ROTC programs? My son's in RU AROTC.
[Reply]
BillyCigars 04:42 PM 04-22-2009
I definately agree with the Oliva Series G recommendations.

Also, Punch Elites are very affordable and extremely flavorful in the Maduro variety. If you have a bunch of guys showing up, maybe a box of the Punch Rothschilds (also in Maduro).
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up