Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>What was the cigar that started it all for you?
DonniePaul 06:39 PM 09-14-2009
What was the smoke that gave you “the fever”?

My Story goes like this. I had smoked a few “gas station cigars” in my younger days but what really got me into cigars can be traced to one night in the Dominican. My wife and I were on our honeymoon and had met another couple from the same state, married at the same time, on the same day. So this couple and my wife and I ended up hanging out all week. The resort was all inclusive so we had free food, free drinks, good company AND the gift shop sold a variety of good cigars including genuine Cuban Cohibas and a slew of Dominican brands. My new buddy is a big cigar smoker and we tried to smoke at least one cigar a day during our rigorous schedule of relaxing with the wives. One night after dinner the girls went off to do their thing and I found myself at the bar with my new buddy. We lit up a couple of Cohibas and damn they were good! We sat and smoked and drank and talked about life and the world in general. It was an experience where the world seemed to slow down. Within a month I had my 200 capacity humidor and I have been doing my best to fill it with a wide Varity of tasty treats since then. I already need more storage.

The whole experience was awesome but specifically that one night and a real Cuban Cohiba was what got me into smoking cigars. .

So my question/topic is what was the cigar that turned you on to smoking cigars seriously? Which stick got you started?
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 06:46 PM 09-14-2009
My first cigar was an Acid Kuba Kuba. I enjoyed them for a while and then began to get head aches from the aroma. I didn't truly fall in love with the traditional cigar until I smoked an RP OWR Maduro. Rich, cocoa, great draw and soooo smooth. :-) My first favorite cigar ever and before I worked for the brand too. I picked this cigar up at an old B&M not around anymore called, Famous Smoke in Clearwater, FL. I was amazed by the flavor and compexity a cigar could have. It's been downhill fast ever since. Thanks for the thread! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:50 PM 09-14-2009
My first was an Acid as well...the Blondie. Went on a binge of buying all kinds of flavored sticks. Then Johnnykay5 gave me a Davidoff #2 and it was over. Sampled a bit of everything over the next few months. And then again Johnnykay5 turned me onto maduros and it is over for good this time. My name is Michael and I am a full fledged maduro whore. :-)
[Reply]
marge796 06:50 PM 09-14-2009
I can't remember the name of the cigar but, I do remember it wasn't very good.

:-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
vankleekkw 06:53 PM 09-14-2009
Gas station is how I got started, but Fuente Gran Reserve is where I fell into a deep dark hole.
[Reply]
Scothew 06:55 PM 09-14-2009
Ashton VSG courtesy of Poe and GoldnGT. I was a noob and never smoked anything before so I ended up leaving the last 1/4 of it or so to die..... never again my ashton VSG friend!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 06:56 PM 09-14-2009
I guess the one that hooked me was a Fuente 898. The first CC was a Monte #4.
[Reply]
BlackDog 06:58 PM 09-14-2009
Back in my post college days (early 80's) when a friend and I got together we'd smoke AF 858's. We didn't know anything about cigars, just that the guy at Tinderbox said they were good and we liked them.

If we had no money we smoked Marsh Wheelings, which I think are made from sweepings of a dairy barn. :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 07:03 PM 09-14-2009
Gas station cigars until the day I turned 18 (I know, naughty boy!) and bought a Sancho Panza Double Maduro Quixote.
[Reply]
Chemyst 07:13 PM 09-14-2009
The Pro Shop at a charity golf tournament had a small display humi
with RyJ Reserva Real and Hdm Excalibur in it. On a whim, my brother
and I bought one and smoked them during the round. I kept playing
with the smoke in my mouth and got a texture of cream, which I've
been looking for ever since. IIRC, I had an RyJ. That was over 3 yrs.
ago. Now I have 600-700 smokes, a Vinotemp, some new friends,
and a relaxing hobby.

Chemyst :-)
[Reply]
Puro Smoker 07:16 PM 09-14-2009
Mine was a Macanudo Duke of Windsor. I was living in Arizona at the time. I had had a couple of other cigars and the suggestions of the guys that worked at the store where I had made my purchases.

My grandfather always smoked Antonio & Cleopatras but I knew better than to smoke those nasty smelling green sticks! :-) No offense to those that like them, just not for me. Plus my grandfather usually chewed 75% of it before he lit it.:-)

The guy at the store recommended the DoW to me, so I bought it. It was toasty and wonderful. It had a great finish to it and it was a truly a remarkable smoke. I was hooked from that moment forward.
[Reply]
DonniePaul 07:20 PM 09-14-2009
Awesome! I love hearing these stories.

Keep 'em coming!!!:-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:35 PM 09-14-2009
I always had cigars but the first one that had actual flavor was an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Natural. I still smoke them and they are still good IMHO. As I recall the next one was the Torano Signature. Which I would still smoke today too.
[Reply]
pinotguy 07:45 PM 09-14-2009
The first cigar that really made an impression on me was the Avo XO Maestoso back in 1996. Took a long time off but the cigar that recently got me back on board was the Cruzado Marelas.

(Bottom line - I shouldn't have stayed away for so long.)
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 08:07 PM 09-14-2009
Cool thread - basic same story as the others.

The "moment" for me came at the Texas Aggie Bonfire in '95. A couple buddies came up from Houston and brought some H. Upmanns.

Two of them got sick as dogs but I was really enjoying it - the start of a very long slide which has brought here today to learn and share from all of you!
[Reply]
Kreth 08:10 PM 09-14-2009
I started out with an Onyx Reserve ($10/ea. at my local B&M pre-SCHIP). Luckily, I found this place and the BOTLs here turned me on to places like CI and Famous, or this could have been a *very* expensive hobby. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
roughrider 09:36 PM 09-14-2009
The cigar I recall trying first was the Famous Private Selection Presidente back in high school. Me and a buddy ordered a box our senior year. Don't remember much about the cigar, but I do remember the good times.
[Reply]
Eleven 09:47 PM 09-14-2009
This one, and its all my Son's fault:

[Reply]
Whee 09:49 PM 09-14-2009
CAO Italia Piazza at the Mandalay Bay Sports book, with 3 buddies for my 40th birthday.
[Reply]
rogerdodger 10:03 PM 09-14-2009
first was a Helix tube.
San Luis Rey serie G got me hooked
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up