Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
View Poll Results: Which cutter do you recommend?
Xikar 22 24.18%
Palio 61 67.03%
Save your money and keep the $5 cutter you have... 8 8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Is there really a difference?
DMK 10:44 AM 08-14-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
Yeah, it's been this way since day one. :-)
I think I'm the one guy on the planet that digs my xikars. The only real reason is because the Palio made me bleed. Plus I think it's an infinately more interesting design, and looks 1000 times cooler.
:-) I own a Xikar and use it pretty much all the time. I've tried a palio a few times and it just dosen't 'feel' right :-) and like scott said the xikar looks cool!
[Reply]
chippewastud79 11:12 AM 08-14-2009
Have them both, keep the Palio in the car, Xikar at the house. They both work well, both have a lifetime warranty, but the Palio makes a better cut. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 11:16 AM 08-14-2009
Never used a Palio here. Nothing against it, I've just never bought one. I have had plenty of Xikars and love them, although I've had two that have broken on me already (those were the cheap $25 ones). They do come with lifetime warranties though.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 11:37 AM 08-14-2009
I voted without reading the Title of the Poll. :-)

I thought we were voting for the cutter we use now which for me is an el cheapo. I'll be getting another cutter at some point (hello, Christmas!). :-)

I have had some success with my razor sharp pocket knife - except on torpedos that is. Cutting a torpedo with my knife didn't work out so well. :-)
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 11:44 AM 08-14-2009
I've had a Xikar for about two years now and I love it. Never had a Palio but I have no reason to switch. The Xikar just does the job. I keep a few cheapos around for bringing places, etc.
[Reply]
dubnick 11:54 AM 08-14-2009
I have the Palio and Xikar... but then again, I love gadgets, and soft of collect them.

Besides that, the cut of these premium cutters is far superior to the cheap ones. Personally, I vote for Palio, simply because I like the style of the old-school cutter. The Xikar doesn't exactly feel natural or comfortable in my hand.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 11:55 AM 08-14-2009
I often forget my cutter at home, however I NEVER leave the house without my knife and ill just run that around the cap and POP off it comes no unraveling or anyhting. Definitely my favorite way to cut a cigar.

It is usually one of these I carry around :-) :-) :-)

[Reply]
prophetnoir 12:11 PM 08-14-2009
I think that they are both the standards by which all other guillotine cutters are measured. I have a Xikar Xi3 myself and I love it. I could have gone either way based on the reviews I read. The Palio seems to win in the opinion poll based on the cut, but I think that the difference may be hair thin. The Xikar definitely wins on style points IMHO. Either one is a sound investment.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:36 PM 08-14-2009
Maybe I'm the only one who disagrees on the styling front. Personally, I think the Xikars look clunky, overly fashion-conscious and anti-ergonomic, while the Palios appear sleek and functional. Taste is taste, I guess.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 02:34 PM 08-14-2009
Although not a specific choice in the poll, Xicar Multi-tool is by far the best cutter out there, main reason I voted for Xikar.

I've used Palios and Xikars ever since they showed up on the market, gifted some away, and only recently was talked into buying a Multi-tool. There is no substitute: compact, as sharp as anything out there, much better and precise control of just how much to slice off and also comes with a number of really useful tools including one that allows you to nub a cigar down to nothing. Folds flat and takes up less room than either the "regular" Xikar or Palio. All of this for less money than Palio.
[Reply]
big a 02:35 PM 08-14-2009
I have had my Xikar since may and I don't really like it. I can't seem to get a good even cut and often times it seems to break the wrapper. Might just be the user, however I have tried every little trick that i can find and still have the same issue. I havn't tried the palio yet, but I sure want to.
[Reply]
coastietech 02:41 PM 08-14-2009
Thank you again for all the advice and opinions... Definitely gives me something to mull over. :-)
[Reply]
the nub 03:04 PM 08-14-2009
If you're $5 cutter is sharp and working fine, I'd use that. I have a single blade 'Havana' cutter with the spring lock. It was free but sells for about $1. I've perfectly cut a few thousand cigars with that over the last 8 or 9 years. IMHO, the Xicar is a poor design. The blade thickness and chamfer almost guarantees a bad cut. It creates a 'step' across the cutting area. I've yet to see someone cut cleanly through a cigar with that- most of my smoking buddies have one and they (used to) swear that it was a great cutter. I can't understand why. I used to laugh at them (jokingly) with the ragged cuts they'd get from it. And it would be a crappy cut nearly all the time from different guys with their own Xicar. I'd let them use my cheapo cutter and they'd be amazed at how well it cut.

If you're $5 isn't working for you, then I'd recommend the Palio. Super sharp blade that cuts great.
[Reply]
nozero 03:17 PM 08-14-2009
In kaelaria's Illusione 4/2g Video Review, he referred to this Cuban Crafters cutter http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/78. I liked the perfect cut promise and the fact that it catches the piece it cuts off, so I bought one.

I've only had it for about a month, but I'm very happy with it thus far and it was only $14.95 plus shipping. It's heavy in your hand and has a very tight feel to it, I swear I can feel it self sharpening with each cut.
[Reply]
poker 03:19 PM 08-14-2009
If not wanting to spend a lot of money, I agree that the Havana single blade cutter is one of the best out there. Its small, cuts clean, spring loaded, and simply works. I also remember they are a were about a buck or so.

I cant find anyplace that has them anymore except for these guys but its about 5 bucks each unless you buy in quantity:

http://www.cigarextras.com/index.asp..._campaign=broi
[Reply]
kaelaria 03:54 PM 08-14-2009
I have my Xikar that works well, the cheapies have only lasted so long before starting to pinch. I have not used a Palio yet. I use my Cuban Crafters 99% of the time now. It cuts through easier than the Xikar with less pressure needed.

NOTE: There is no such thing as a self-sharpening cutter. It's pure marketing BS. At best, some are self-honing - completely different but most people don't know what honing is so they say sharpening.
[Reply]
dentonparrots 04:56 PM 08-14-2009
I find that I can do a better job of getting an exact cut every time with a punch, other than on torpedo cigars (even then they still do the job!).

If the hole is too small off the initial punched hole I just widen it by nibbling away with the punch to make the circle bigger. For a larger ring gauges I make a kind of 4 leaf clover shape adding "petals" to the initial hole.
I get the benefit of getting as close to my ideal of a draw each time, and I still get the neat shoulder feel of the cap on my lips compared to a cutter. I'm yet to damage a cigar that way, no little bits hanging off and my chocie of hole size.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 05:09 PM 08-14-2009
Originally Posted by kaelaria:
At best, some are self-honing - completely different but most people don't know what honing is so they say sharpening.
So, are you going to enlighten us?
[Reply]
nozero 05:23 PM 08-14-2009
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
So, are you going to enlighten us?
I was wondering the same thing.

From their text...
Originally Posted by :
The self-sharpening double blades are made with surgical grade stainless steel and cut cigar ring gauges of up 54. Each is packed in an elegant gift box and is Lifetime Guaranteed. A perfect cut is guaranteed every time or you get a free replacement.
If "they" dont know the difference, should I?

Wiki says:
Originally Posted by :
Honing is a manufacturing process that produces a precision surface on a workpiece by scrubbing an abrasive stone against it along a controlled path.
I don't know of anything that is "self honing"... But hey, what do I know.

I forgot to mention the lifetime guarantee, I like those.
[Reply]
coastietech 05:34 PM 08-14-2009
Well after looking now my inner debate is whether to get a Palio or a Xikar Multi-tool. The poll is pushing me towards the Palio.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up