Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Boveda Packs
luther 12:00 AM 08-07-2016
Purchased a second humidor (25-30 count) and I seasoned it for two weeks with 84% packs. I have about 15 sticks in there with 72% packs (I now have three) and the humidity level won't raise past 66%. I have a digital (rectangular xicar 833XI that can not be calibrated). These supposedly come pre calibrated and there isn't even a calibration button to push.

Anyway, first time using the Boveda packs and I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are that the 72% packs have not raised the level past 66%.

Thanks
[Reply]
longknocker 05:41 AM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by luther:
Purchased a second humidor (25-30 count) and I seasoned it for two weeks with 84% packs. I have about 15 sticks in there with 72% packs (I now have three) and the humidity level won't raise past 66%. I have a digital (rectangular xicar 833XI that can not be calibrated). These supposedly come pre calibrated and there isn't even a calibration button to push.

Anyway, first time using the Boveda packs and I'm wondering what peoples' thoughts are that the 72% packs have not raised the level past 66%.

Thanks
Either You Need To Season Your Humidor Longer, Or Recalibrate Your RH Monitor. I Have Used Boveda 65% Packets For 10 Years, Now, & My Readings Are Always 63-67% In My 6 Wooden Humidors. I Change My Boveda Packs Approximately Every 3 Months Or Whenever I Notice My RH Drop Below 61-62.:-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:28 AM 08-07-2016
Could also be a leaking humidor.
[Reply]
luther 08:32 AM 08-07-2016
How do I calibrate without a calibration button?
[Reply]
T.G 08:39 AM 08-07-2016
You could dissemble it and look for an adjustment, but there is no guarantee you'll find anything in there and might just end up breaking the hygrometer. Easiest way is to just write the offset on a piece of masking take and stick to the outside, that way you know how much to add/subtract from the display.

BTW - it doesn't hurt to double check the factory calibration for accuracy.
[Reply]
luther 08:44 AM 08-07-2016
How do I check the factory calibration? Also, I put my older Xicar (that was calibrated using the salt test) in the same humi and it reads about 5 higher than my new one. Frustrating
[Reply]
T.G 08:57 AM 08-07-2016
Just set up a salt test and see what the new one reads. You know what the humidity should be, so see if it matches. Might be worthwhile to test both hygrometers too, sometimes their accuracy wains as the batteries run down.
[Reply]
luther 10:21 AM 08-07-2016
It should read 75% correct? So if my one that has no calibration button reads 70% after a salt test I simply know it is 5% off?
[Reply]
markem 10:30 AM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by luther:
It should read 75% correct? So if my one that has no calibration button reads 70% after a salt test I simply know it is 5% off?
yes. Here is a sticky from this forum that lays it all out.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=619
[Reply]
Up