Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Time for a cooler...
SchizoFilly 09:40 AM 08-10-2009
...that didn't take long to outrun a 150ct humi. And it's all your fault. NST and some sweet pickups from WTS and vendors. So, now I need your help.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4807332

70qt cooler, 1 1/2 pounds of 65% RH Beads on the way, and I don't know what else I need to make this happen. Any further guidance would be helpful, but all I can find through searches is pretty much throw everything in the cooler and away you go. What am I missing, or is it really that easy?
[Reply]
Hippi3Slay3r 09:52 AM 08-10-2009
I went with the http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr its full allready.... buy big youre prolly gunna use it all at some point :-)
[Reply]
SchizoFilly 10:24 AM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r:
I went with the http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr its full allready.... buy big youre prolly gunna use it all at some point :-)
but there's not modification to be done? You just put in your cigars and humidification and poof? Sorry, being paranoid. :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:28 AM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by SchizoFilly:
but there's not modification to be done? You just put in your cigars and humidification and poof? Sorry, being paranoid. :-)
Nope and yep. :-)
[Reply]
Barteur 10:42 AM 08-10-2009
When I built mine, washed it with light soap and putted Bicarbonate for a couple of days to remove the plastic smell and then I was ready to go. I dont think this is mandatory to have a successfull coolidor.

Frenchie
[Reply]
bobarian 10:55 AM 08-10-2009
You may want to add a digital hygrometer, but its not really necessary with a cooler. Coolers hold humidity amazingly well and with beads you can trust them to maintain Rh. If you add a hygrometer, be sure to calibrate it according to these instructions, http://www.cigarmony.com/calibratinghygrometers.aspx

You also may want to start collecting empty boxes from your local B&M. Wood boxes like Tatuaje and LFD are best but any brand will work for storage of singles.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 11:02 AM 08-10-2009
Here... only $20 more.
[Reply]
DMK 11:32 AM 08-10-2009
I don't even need to keep beads in mine full time.
I just use the hygro to tell me when I need to set the beads in for a day or so every couple of weeks....
I washed mine out with baking soad and set it out in the sun to dry and air out. Then its fill er up time with all the spare boxes and all the cedar sheets I had laying around.
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:45 AM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
You may want to add a digital hygrometer, but its not really necessary with a cooler. Coolers hold humidity amazingly well and with beads you can trust them to maintain Rh. If you add a hygrometer, be sure to calibrate it according to these instructions, http://www.cigarmony.com/calibratinghygrometers.aspx

You also may want to start collecting empty boxes from your local B&M. Wood boxes like Tatuaje and LFD are best but any brand will work for storage of singles.
This is the best advice!!!

I layer mine with various sized cigar boxes (unvarnished wood)!!! Save sheets of Spanish Cedar from boxes to fill in the sides and layers. This will help keep the cigars smelling and tasting nice!!!

[Reply]
TripleF 11:56 AM 08-10-2009
Some epmty boxes would be good.... The El Baton boxes hold 40 cigars so those are perfect.

I stuffed some cedar sheets obtained from epmpty boxes and have been using a cooler for over a year now and the humidity is perfect all the time :-)
[Reply]
SchizoFilly 12:47 PM 08-10-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:

I have the hygro I've been using in my humi, may need to pick up another one so I can use both for storage, but that's a different issue. Have a few boxes to use.....now to develop a plan for hiding this thing inside the house:-)
[Reply]
SLO_Smoke 12:48 PM 08-10-2009
I've got six of these exact 70qt coolers.
- Yes, they are full :-)
They work well but you will find that some seal better than others.
I tried the lid/fit on all of them before I bought the ones that had the best fit.
On the lid there is a small groove/recess that will allow you to put a gasket in the groove.
Walmart sells a self-adheasive rubber "D" gasket 3/8" x 5/16" found in the paint supplies dept.
Fits perfect in the groove!

Suggestion-
I used the GIANT Ziploc Big Bags "Large" size inside the coolers.
(The XL and the XXL Ziploc bags are just too big)
You can get a few boxes (3-4 boxes) inside the bags, then put a 1-oz (or 2 1-oz) bead tube(s) in the bag.
Then into the cooler.
This way, when you open the cooler lid you don't lose the RH in the whole storage system.
The cooler keeps the boxes from big temp swings.
The individual bags keep the boxes from big RH swings.
I also installed a Xikar digital hygrometer in the lid of each cooler.
- More to monitor temp rather than RH (trust your beads).

Works great! :-)

I also keep a number of desktop humis for the sticks that I smoke regularly so that I'm not playing Tetris any more than necessary. LOL
[Reply]
SLO_Smoke 01:19 PM 08-10-2009
Another option to consider-
If you don't need the insulation of the cooler, Target has 20qt Sterilite Gasket Top boxes.
The benefit is that they are clear and you can see what's inside without opening the top.
Also, not too much Tetris involved. :-)
Although the lid already has a gasket, they also need the extra "D" gasket to seal well.
I've got 20 of these and they also work well. :-)
Attached: Humidor 1.jpg (97.7 KB) 
[Reply]
SchizoFilly 01:23 PM 08-10-2009
I see a night or two spent sleeping on the couch in my near future. :-)
[Reply]
cwfrasa 08:12 AM 08-11-2009
Joe, I look for coolers that have some sort of slots cut into the sides. Then you can stand it on end and put in shelves to make sorting easier. I made the shelves out of spanish cedar. You can find it in small pieces from www.woodcraft.com.

Never needed to add gaskets and have no issues with humidity but I also keep mine in the basement so the temp and humidity is pretty stable. I'm up to 4 coolers and so far no nights on the couch, #5 might put me on a funeral pyre of cigars though.....
[Reply]
SchizoFilly 08:24 AM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by cwfrasa:
Joe, I look for coolers that have some sort of slots cut into the sides. Then you can stand it on end and put in shelves to make sorting easier. I made the shelves out of spanish cedar. You can find it in small pieces from www.woodcraft.com.

Never needed to add gaskets and have no issues with humidity but I also keep mine in the basement so the temp and humidity is pretty stable. I'm up to 4 coolers and so far no nights on the couch, #5 might put me on a funeral pyre of cigars though.....
Thanks for that advice, hadn't really thought about going vertical with shelving. I may wait until Friday to bring home the cooler since I usually spend the night drinking and falling asleep on the couch anyway. :-)
[Reply]
tchariya 08:30 AM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by SLO_Smoke:
Another option to consider-
If you don't need the insulation of the cooler, Target has 20qt Sterilite Gasket Top boxes.
The benefit is that they are clear and you can see what's inside without opening the top.
Also, not too much Tetris involved. :-)
Although the lid already has a gasket, they also need the extra "D" gasket to seal well.
I've got 20 of these and they also work well. :-)
I was looking at expanding to those Sterlite containers. What I wonder is, what affect the sunlight has on sticks that might not be kept in their boxes. Also sunlight (direct or indirect) might heat up the containers.

Man...it looks like you can open up shop and start selling!!!!
[Reply]
tchariya 08:42 AM 08-11-2009
I wanted to add..

With my cool-idor setup, I use a wireless hygrometer (generic weather meter) I bought from Fryes. It is capable of reading 3 different remote stations from the base station. That way I don't have to open up my cooler to check the temp/RH and I can bring up 2 other remote stations when I need to. They are spot on and only around $20.

Oh additionally, the remote stations and the base station displays the temp/RH of its surroundings. Its like getting 2 hygrometers in the package.

Here's the link!

wireless hygrometer
[Reply]
SLO_Smoke 11:35 AM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by tchariya:
I was looking at expanding to those Sterlite containers. What I wonder is, what affect the sunlight has on sticks that might not be kept in their boxes. Also sunlight (direct or indirect) might heat up the containers.

The following :-) is IMO and gained from personal experience-

Ambient room temps stable within 5deg should not cause concern when storing in a non-insulated container.
Primary concern is maintaining a stable RH within the container.
Untable RH can indicate a poor seal on the container, swings in temp, or in the case of cigars just recently purchased or transported- cigars that need to stablize in their new storage environment.
The Key word is STABILITY :-)

Direct sunlight on to the storage container is not desireable for any type of storage container (humidor, cooler, frig-a-dor, clear container, etc), but especially non-insulated containers, because it can affect the internal storage temp quickly causing temps and RH to become unstable, typically very high.
Warm/Hot air holds more moisture = High RH.
When temperature is unstable the RH is also going to fluctuate.
Indirect sunlight, or sunlight filtered through shades or curtains, can also affect the ambient temps in the room, generally more slowly, and thus cause more gradual temp and RH swings within the storage container.
- Insulated containers can reduce, slow, or even eliminate the temp swing within the container when the ambient temp is not stable.
Direct sunlight on to un-boxed cigars stored in clear containers would be the last of your worries.
- The temp swings and high RH from direct sunlight on to the storage container would kill the cigars long before the UV from direct sunlight shining through a clear container directly on single sticks would create problems to the cigar wrapper or tobacco.

Treat them like the prized Art possessions that they are.
- Just like you would keep a collectable painting or tapestry out of the direct sunlight and control humidity and temp swings.

I'm located in Las Vegas- 115deg outside temps and desert dry RH.
I keep the windows shades open, don't allow direct sunlight on any humidors or storage boxes, and I control the room temp with a separate AC.
- Do not allow the AC to blow directly on the storage boxes or any desktop humidors.
My storage temps and RH are rock steady @ 67deg and 65RH

As far as:
Originally Posted by tchariya:
LOL!
I have almost 1000qts of storage full :-)
- Used for long-term and medium-term storage of multiple boxes
I use my 4 desktop humidors for regular rotation. :-)
[Reply]
Up