Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Blazer PB-207 Issue
Boobar 07:55 PM 07-05-2009
I need some input from the good folks on the forum who have a Blazer PB-207. I have had this lighter since Christmas and up to a month or so ago it worked great. Now the lighter only lights once in a while. You can click the trigger to ignite the flame and it sparks but the flame never takes hold. Once you let off the trigger you can still here gas escaping from the tip for several seconds. If/when I can ever get it to light, when you let off the trigger the flame stays lit for several seconds.

I have not abused this lighter and I have not dropped it on any hard surfaces.

Any input would be great. I am going to contact the company to see about having it fixed or exchanged out but I thought I would see if anyone on here had a similar issue and if there might be an easy fix.

Thanks
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:08 PM 07-05-2009
Sounds to me like it's turned up too much.

Did this start after a refill? Try turning the juice down some.
[Reply]
Silound 08:33 PM 07-05-2009
Turn down the flame to the lowest setting possible and click it. If you still hear the gas escaping at the lowest flame setting, then the valve will need adjustment which means dismantling the head assembly.

If you don't hear gas escaping, then turn it up a small amount at a time and click it after each small adjustment. If that STILL doesn't solve the problem, you probably have a clogged filter, which will ALSO require disassembly of the head, but which is far more difficult given the minuscule nature of the filter.

You may need to send it back to Blazer for refitting.
[Reply]
TheTraveler 10:20 PM 07-05-2009
I just fixed a torch lighter for a friend.

1. dismantled the lighter and cleaned the nozzle where the gas comes out (held it gently with needle nose pliers and sanded it clean with a fine modeling file

2. tested it; it worked fine. put it back together and it didn't work again.

3. dismantled it again - it worked fine.

:-) grrrr

4. noticed that when I put the metal cover over it the spark started arcing to the lighter body instead of the fuel nozzle. bent the wire a little closer to the nozzle. (I think I bent the wire a little while cleaning the nozzle.)

5. done

If you feel comfortable doing this and the lighter allows you, I recommend cleaning any built-up carbon from the fuel nozzle that may be interfering with spark. Also, look closely to see exactly where that spark is arcing to.

Just my :-)

Also, if this voids a warranty maybe you shouldn't try it.

Good luck! :-)
[Reply]
lightning9191 10:38 AM 07-06-2009
I had this same problem. I removed a small paper filter inside the nozzle assembly....it was pretty dirty. It is really tiny and between two metal screens. I thought about taking pictures of the process a few minutes after I had everything put together.

Process the best I can remember:
1. Unscrew two screws holding top of lighter on.
2. Remove top of lighter and remove small foam filter.
3. On bottom of the top of the lighter (does that make sense?), unscrew center.....if I remember right this is a reverse thread.
4. Inside of there is the small filter I am talking about. Seperate metal screens and remove white paper filter.
5. Put everything back together. There is a small, solid metal piece that goes on top of the filter....towards the flame end.

I'll be happy to do it for you if you want to pay the shipping.
[Reply]
PeteSB75 07:26 PM 07-06-2009
I had the same problem with mine after about the same amount of time. All I did was fully purge the tank. I just pressed and held the metal tube where butane goes in until I heard nothing coming out. After that, I filled it and it worked like a charm. I make sure I purge it fully every couple of times I fill it and have had no problems with mine for more than two years.
[Reply]
Boobar 07:32 PM 07-06-2009
Thanks for all the input guys, I will try some of what you suggested and see how it works.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:17 PM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by Boobar:
Thanks for all the input guys, I will try some of what you suggested and see how it works.
Let us know, my first Blazer that lasted 4 years needs some help as well.
[Reply]
montecristo#2 10:58 PM 07-06-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
I had the same problem with mine after about the same amount of time. All I did was fully purge the tank. I just pressed and held the metal tube where butane goes in until I heard nothing coming out. After that, I filled it and it worked like a charm. I make sure I purge it fully every couple of times I fill it and have had no problems with mine for more than two years.
Yep - had a similar issue. I think I had some issues filling it and got a little too much air in the tank. So I emptied it completely and filled it up again and it worked fine.

This has happened a copy of times, the better I fill it the less issues I have with it lighting afterwards.

I would definitely try this before taking it apart.
[Reply]
Parshooter 07:13 AM 07-07-2009
I purge my lighters EVERY time I refill.
[Reply]
poker 07:22 AM 07-07-2009
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
:-)
I purge all my butane lighters prior to refilling.
[Reply]
lightning9191 08:33 AM 07-07-2009
Originally Posted by montecristo#2:
Yep - had a similar issue. I think I had some issues filling it and got a little too much air in the tank. So I emptied it completely and filled it up again and it worked fine.

This has happened a copy of times, the better I fill it the less issues I have with it lighting afterwards.

I would definitely try this before taking it apart.
:-) I tried emptying and purging a few times before going further.
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:39 AM 07-07-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Let us know, my first Blazer that lasted 4 years needs some help as well.
:-) I have one that needs work too. I think I may try cleaning the filter described.
[Reply]
Boobar 04:22 PM 07-20-2009
UPDATE:

I am still having some issues but I have figured out how to make it work. I am a little uneasy about taking the lighter apart. The first thing I have to do is click the lighter like I am trying to light it but it never lights the first time. I release the igniter button and I listen for when the gas sound stops, usually takes a couple of seconds, and then I have to make sure give a good quick click and then the lighter lights up just fine. This will work for now I guess as I hate to lose such a powerful lighter.
[Reply]
tsolomon 04:43 PM 07-20-2009
It's still under warranty, so send it back to Blazer. Had the same problem with a slow leak and sent it back to Blazer. The repair took 3-4 weeks, but now it's is on the fritz again and only lights 1 out of 5 times. I bought a new one and will be sending the old one back again.
[Reply]
gorob23 05:26 PM 07-20-2009
Originally Posted by poker:
I purge all my butane lighters prior to refilling.
:-) I ask the closet "bookend" to do it for me

Rob :-)
[Reply]
Pat1075 06:47 PM 07-20-2009
If none of that helps spray some electrical contact cleaner in it then let it dry out for a couple minutes. Sometimes its just so caked up with crap from our cigars the burners need something a little more heavy duty than fire to keep them clean
[Reply]
streetglide 07:29 PM 07-20-2009
I have the same problem with my xikar lighter. I tried all of the above, purge,lowest setting, to no avail. It's only a month old so I guess I'll be mailing it back.
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:00 AM 07-21-2009
I took mine apart last night and tried all kinds of stuff...some recommended here, some not. All to no avail. :-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 08:15 AM 07-21-2009
Originally Posted by Parshooter:

Makes a BIG difference!
[Reply]
Up