Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Looking for the 'Ronson Jetlite' of Cutters
Les Nessman 04:43 AM 05-16-2009
I am aware of the sterling reputation of the Palio, and perhaps to a lesser extent the Xicar. However, I am looking for something cheaper. The thing I love about my Ronson Jetlites is that I don't have to worry about losing them. I stick one in my bag, have a couple sitting around the house and if I lose one, no big deal.

Do you have a favorite cheap double guillotine cutter? Ronsons cost under $5, but would consider anything under $10. Or maybe all cheap cutters are pretty much the same?
[Reply]
taltos 05:22 AM 05-16-2009
I have found that most of the cheap ones work well for a little while but dull quickly. If you think about it, buying eight of the $4.95 el cheapos will cover the cost of the more expensive cutters that come with a lifetime repair or replacement guarantee. I prefer to only spend my money once but I also am not prone to losing things. That could well be a factor.
[Reply]
Cigary 06:15 AM 05-16-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
I have found that most of the cheap ones work well for a little while but dull quickly. If you think about it, buying eight of the $4.95 el cheapos will cover the cost of the more expensive cutters that come with a lifetime repair or replacement guarantee. I prefer to only spend my money once but I also am not prone to losing things. That could well be a factor.
Pure wisdom here,,,,I bought enough cheapos over the years and finally bought 3 great cutters,,,Xikar for a straight cut and for a V Cut I bought the BostonCutter which cost me $110 10 years ago,,,but this thing still cuts like it is brand new so I figure I got my moneys worth. The third cutter is a Palio,,,all three of them are great.
[Reply]
taltos 06:23 AM 05-16-2009
Randy, if you are also looking for a v cutter, I agree with the Boston Cutter but there are other good alternatives besides the plastic cheapies. I bought a metal and wood one from www.bestcigarprices.com for something like $20 plus shipping. Since they are located in upstate New York, you would have to pay sales tax also. The advantage to this one is that it is pocket sized.
[Reply]
dunng 06:47 AM 05-16-2009
The only other cutter I would have recommended for the price was the Havana Cutter but it is no longer made... so buy a Palio! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:36 AM 05-16-2009
I have a Palio and a Xikar...can't go wrong with either. Money well spent. Can't beat that lifetime guarantee with Palio.
[Reply]
Smoke Naked 08:57 AM 05-16-2009
I think that the $35 dollars I spent on my Palio is worth it (I'm poor and cheap). Think about how long you will have it and how much use it will get (don't forget warranty), plus its still cheaper than a lot of other cutters, so Palio IS the 'Ronson Jetlite' of cutters. of course thats just my $.02
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:56 AM 05-16-2009
A while back I bought a box of 10 Chateau Real Crystales from JR Cigar for $40, and it came with a free Xikar Xi2 cutter. Watch their deal page and you'll see this from time to time.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 01:23 PM 05-16-2009
Xikar makes the Mean Sardine cutter and it costs around 10.00. Good cutter and for the price if ya lose it ya won't feel too bad about it.
[Reply]
acarr 03:14 PM 05-16-2009
I am going to opt for the Cuban Crafters.
[Reply]
ChasDen 05:25 PM 05-16-2009
I have had my Palio for about a year now.
I got it in a group but for under $40 (I think, can’t remember for sure).
I just bought a $65 dollar Xikar Xi Cutter at the local B&M.
Although the Xikar is nice I definitely like the Palio better.

And for under $40 bucks it’s a no brain'er.

Chas
[Reply]
Thrak 06:58 AM 05-17-2009
Originally Posted by acarr:
I am going to opt for the Cuban Crafters.
Me too

http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/293

$10, lifetime warranty, cuts great!! I always seem to grab this before my Xikar... cant beat it for the price.
[Reply]
DPD6030 12:31 PM 05-17-2009
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I have a Palio and a Xikar...can't go wrong with either. Money well spent. Can't beat that lifetime guarantee with Palio
:-) and Xikar has a lifetime warranty as well.
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 07:29 PM 05-17-2009
The Cuban Crafters looks like a good deal but IMO you cannot beat the Palio, great cuts each time!
[Reply]
Thrak 07:40 PM 05-17-2009
so does the cuban crafters :-)
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 08:05 PM 05-17-2009
Originally Posted by Thrak:
so does the cuban crafters :-)
I believe you...in fact I may pick one up since it is only $10. Always nice to have a good backup. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:42 PM 05-17-2009
Look for a deal from the Devil on Xikar's, scored two of them in deals with a 5 pack or a 3 pack or whatever for less than $20 total. :-)
[Reply]
Up