Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Coffee Discussion>Grinder question
smitty81 09:57 PM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by floydpink:
I use a Krups grinder for my wife's drip as adjusting my Macap M4 from espresso to drip on a worm drive is a hassle. (more than 30 turns)
I think it was under $50.

Those grinders will do the job fine for drip and moka, but if you think it's ok for espresso, you're kidding yourself.
it makes the grind just as fine as what I buy espresso grounds in the can or bag. In fact, I have an espresso machine and the grounds work great in it.

Maby mines better than yours. :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 08:27 AM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
it makes the grind just as fine as what I buy espresso grounds in the can or bag. In fact, I have an espresso machine and the grounds work great in it.

Maby mines better than yours. :-)
Maby....

I'll have to give some of that preground stuff a try.
[Reply]
smitty81 08:30 AM 02-24-2012
Maby....

I'll have to give some of that preground stuff a try.

It's not to bad...........
[Reply]
floydpink 09:52 AM 02-24-2012
It's not to bad...........

but what will I do with all this fancy equipment if I fall in love with the stuff?

Is it best to just buy it in bulk and store it in a Tupperware container in my fridge?:-)

Now I'm really getting mad at all those posts I read on coffeegeek that led me to believe I needed a roaster, commercial grinder, and an E61 grouphead on my espresso machine.
[Reply]
smitty81 10:03 AM 02-24-2012
but what will I do with all this fancy equipment if I fall in love with the stuff?

Is it best to just buy it in bulk and store it in a Tupperware container in my fridge?:-)
Try the Cafe Bustelo and the Starbucks Espresso grounds.

The cafe bustelo is more of a deep rich espresso and the Starbucks is a lighter kind of sweet espresso.

Both can be found at Walmart. As for storing them, read on each container as I believe they tell you how to properly store them.

[Reply]
floydpink 10:11 AM 02-24-2012
I'm just messing with you, so please forgive me.
I actually drank Bustello and Pilon for a long time before going OCD about coffee a few years ago, and enjoyed both a lot.

I'm married to a Brazilian and it reminds her of the coffee they drink there.

You still see many of the Cuban coffee shops serving both in Miami.

I think it's a lot like cigars in the respect that you should drink or smoke what you like.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to tweek my grinder to add another 3 seconds to the extraction and will be observing it through my naked portafilter...:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:56 PM 02-24-2012
Gee, that's a big picture.
[Reply]
mmblz 01:07 PM 02-24-2012
Both can be found at Walmart. As for storing them, read on each container as I believe they tell you how to properly store them.
Well it says "Siempre Fresco" so I guess you don't have to do anything special in terms of storage :-)
[Reply]
floydpink 01:34 PM 02-24-2012
FYI:

Bustello is Spanish for bust your ass grinding fresh beans.
[Reply]
Garbandz 07:00 PM 02-24-2012
Try to find the Bustelo Supreme,comes in a brown package and is enough better to make it worth the search.

I have a friend who brings it back from New Orleans,probably widely marketed.........
[Reply]
CoreyD 11:25 PM 02-24-2012
I've been eyeing this. http://www.burmancoffee.com/miva/mer...ategory_Code=G
It is around same price as some blades but a step up.
[Reply]
BSB 10:02 AM 02-25-2012
I never had any luck with the smaller burr grinders. Take forever to grind, get hot, burn up. Sure have been happy with my Capresso. I'm done here.
[Reply]
thebayratt 10:09 AM 02-26-2012
Im using a $25 Black and Decker blade grinder from Lowes for about a year now. No issues with it except for the one foot cord.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:12 PM 02-26-2012
OK, tell me why burr grinder over whirling blades. What's the reason. Seriously. I have been grinding with whirling blades for over 20 years. I have home-roasting for over 10 years. Had a cheaper burr grinder, didn't see a difference in flavor.

So, what is really the reason to go burr grinder?

If it is consistency of the grind, I do mine so fine it is consistent.

Give me another reason.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 06:15 PM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
OK, tell me why burr grinder over whirling blades. What's the reason. Seriously. I have been grinding with whirling blades for over 20 years. I have home-roasting for over 10 years. Had a cheaper burr grinder, didn't see a difference in flavor.

So, what is really the reason to go burr grinder?

If it is consistency of the grind, I do mine so fine it is consistent.

Give me another reason.
I have heard that crushing and grinding the beans brings out more of the natural oils. I have never done a side by side taste test, but I do like just pushing the button and grinding the same amount to the same size every time.
[Reply]
floydpink 08:09 PM 02-26-2012
For me it's about proper extraction.

If it's not taking about 30 seconds to pull a 2 oz espresso shot, it's extracting too fast and won't taste right for me.

I need a very fine and consistent grind and careful tamp to get what I consider an acceptable shot.

I made a couple grinder errors thinking I could get the right grind without spending in the close ballpark of 500 bucks on a grinder.

With the exception of (maybe) the Rocky, I believe this to be true.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up