Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 14
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Tequila Thread!!!
TheRiddick 01:45 PM 01-30-2009
MA has just been changed to a ship to state in the past month or so, check with out of state retailers to see who is shipping there now. Spec's has great wine selection, for sure, but some locals have been telling me their storage conditions leave a lot to be desired. Of course, tequila storage is not an issue.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:34 PM 02-18-2009
My wife really, really likes the Patron XO Coffee -- very nice flavor. If you like Kaluha, then you will love this, much better flavor, and more alcohol!

I prefer Don Julion Anejo, Herradura Anejo, or for special occaisions Don Julio 1942 Anejo. For extra special occaisons I like Patron Gran Burdeos.

Actually, I am not picky -- as long as it is 100% de Agave -- I will drink Blanco, Reposado, or Anejo. I have enjoyed Patron, Coralejo, and Cazadores -- all good Tequilas.

I also agree with a previous poster -- the best way is to use a brandy snifter. No salt. No lime. No ice.
[Reply]
TheJ 10:48 PM 02-18-2009
I enjoy the Patron Silver.

I've always wanted to try Milagro Romance Tequila, but at $100 a shot at bars I find them is out of my budget.

I have an uncle that collects tequilas and he's always good for a night of sampling bottles in the hundred dollar plus range.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:30 AM 02-19-2009
Don Julio Silver is $18 at the Mexican PX in Isla Mujeres!
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:45 AM 02-19-2009
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Actually, I am not picky -- as long as it is 100% de Agave...
I haven't seen one that is not. Now, Mezcal is a whole new ballgame and is nasty, even the "super premium" stuff my brother-out-law brought back from Mexico. He seemed to like it THERE, but I guess when you drink enough while in Mexico, anything tastes good after a certain point :-)

There are 3 new tequilas to be made here in Bay Area, can't wait to see what locals can do with the agave plant, 2 of them are some of the best distilleries in the world and so far everything they produced is at the top of the heap.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:23 PM 02-19-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
There are 3 new tequilas to be made here in Bay Area, can't wait to see what locals can do with the agave plant, 2 of them are some of the best distilleries in the world and so far everything they produced is at the top of the heap.
Do they grow the agave there? I drove past an agave field in the Yucatan. Soon, the Yucatan will officially be able manufacture Tequila. Such a beautiful sight; a field of amazing agaves!
[Reply]
TheRiddick 01:37 PM 02-19-2009
They will ship the agave here. One of them, in Alameda will actually roast the plants there and then ship them here, this will force them into calling the product something other than Tequila per rules and regulations (must be 100% Mexico made). The other two will make the entire product in Mexico.

One of the them is Bermejo, the guy who put tequila on the map here in States with his tequila bar in SF (over 130 different ones available, plus he offers classes, writes books, etc.) He's the Roy Hersch of tequila, since you know Roy.

The other one is a father and son team, 4th and 5th generations of distillers from old days in Yugoslavia. They make incredible vodka called Charbay (made in Mendocino) using actual fruit as its flavoring (as opposed to various additions others do). I am sure they will come up with something serious, not that the others won't. They also make great Cab from Spring Mountain grapes (Napa, where they live).

The guys who will ship the roasted agave here make one of the best vodkas around as well, Hanger One. They also make various distilled products and actually better grappa (and much more affordable as well) than most Italian made products.

This will be interesting.

Try to find a bottle of Partida, this is the "new" generation of artisanal tequila to me and shows the direction the product is headed. LA area resident backed by some banker (to invest in the land her family heldin Mexico), so if anything, she started the trend.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 03:16 PM 02-19-2009
I have had Partida before and thought it was good. Hanger One is big time when it comes to flavoring; some I am not keen one like Orange, but most are great and really have a natural taste.
[Reply]
ade06 03:24 PM 02-19-2009
Originally Posted by SmokinApe:
I haven't tried the Don Julio yet, but I am looking to...

What do you guys like best; Silver, Reposado, Anejo?
Reposado!
[Reply]
TheRiddick 08:34 PM 02-19-2009
Another vote for Reposado, 11 months of oak aging, Anejo is usually way too much oak for me.
[Reply]
PinkPistol86 08:37 PM 02-19-2009
I like Patron and Padron. Tequila Margarita and a Cigar.
[Reply]
PinkPistol86 08:38 PM 02-19-2009
And Patron is also good for smooth shots and it makes you look impressive around here at bars.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:03 AM 02-20-2009
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
Another vote for Reposado, 11 months of oak aging, Anejo is usually way too much oak for me.
:-)

Anejo's can end up tasting like Cognac, which is OK, but I prefer the more pronounced agave taste from Reposado.

No one is really talking about Cabo in this thread? I actually like the over-the-top agave taste of it.
[Reply]
ajmunchiv 02:14 PM 02-23-2009
Try Canadian Club w/Green Tea Ginger Ale, Lime, Ice & Cabo Wabo Anejo.

1. Squeeze Lime wedge in a Tequila glass.

2. Add ice. (fill glass full with ice)

3. Add 1/3 glass of Cabo Wabo Anejo.

4. Add 2/3 Canadian Club w/Green Tea Ginger Ale.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 03:43 PM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by ajmunchiv:
Try Canadian Club w/Green Tea Ginger Ale, Lime, Ice & Cabo Wabo Anejo.

1. Squeeze Lime wedge in a Tequila glass.

2. Add ice. (fill glass full with ice)

3. Add 1/3 glass of Cabo Wabo Anejo.

4. Add 2/3 Canadian Club w/Green Tea Ginger Ale.
Sounds good...
[Reply]
ja3480 09:14 PM 03-03-2009
Big Patron Fan !
[Reply]
macpappy 06:42 AM 05-23-2009
Picked up a bottle of Leyenda del Milagro Anejo yesterday. Looking forward to exploring it this weekend.
[Reply]
nozero 07:55 AM 06-14-2009
I purchased my first bottle of Casa Noble Crystal (blanco) Friday on the way home after work. It was only $2.00 cheaper than the Petron Silver and IMO not really comparable. To me, it has more flavors, but is less smooth, an expected trade off perhaps.

IMO the Petron is a better sipping Tequila, but the Casa Noble may pair better with stronger cigars.
:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:15 PM 06-16-2009
Just picked up in Austin at Spec's on 290. In Boston, Tequila is hard to find expect for the most common brands and very few people are real experts either at the stores.

I have not tried any yet, but that should change pretty soon.

La Penca Mexcal (with 2 worms)
Cavalino Blanco
Cavalino Reposado
El Reromador Reposado

Has anyone tried any of these?
[Reply]
TheRiddick 09:10 PM 06-16-2009
Moses, you're crazy :-) Mezcal? Why?

Specs do have a good selection, although Hi Times in CA has an incredible selection and good prices.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 14
« First < 234 56 > Last »
Up