Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Budget wine thread
hammondc 10:32 AM 06-18-2011
Originally Posted by pektel:
Had a bottle of 2007 castle rock napa valley Cabernet sauvignon tonight, and am pleasantly surprised. A little heavy on the tart fruit and less dry and oaky like some others, but still very enjoyable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep....this is usually a staple in my rack. The Willamette Valley Pinot is very good too. I have heard the Russian River Valley wines are nice, but I have not seen them in a long while.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:04 PM 06-18-2011
Originally Posted by hammondc:
The Charamba was a 2007. I agree. Had it last night and I was shocked at how good it was for $8. Seems very similar to a Pinot Noir to me. It is one I definitely will keep on hand.
2007 is an excellent vintage for Douro wine and port. I am glad to read my suggestion panned out for you! Portugal is a hotbed of good dry wine deals.
[Reply]
OnlyDryReds 08:17 AM 01-10-2012
Wife an I opened up a bottle of Jefferson Vineyard 2001 Petit Verdo that I have had hidden away for a few years Sunday evening...think i paid around 25 +/- for it at the time, before I laid it down.... Decant it, then we used one of my x-mas gifts, a Vinturi, and it was quite good. I really like Petit Verdo's as a single blend..i have a 2002 from same place Ill be looking forward to next year, if I can wait that long. :-)
[Reply]
Pilon 08:34 AM 01-10-2012
Il Bastardo Sangiovese, $7 in my neck of the woods
[Reply]
hammondc 06:52 PM 05-26-2012
Pretty good stuff...

[Reply]
Partially Deaf 06:53 PM 05-26-2012
I haven't see if it has been mentioned yet, but I like Layer Cake Shiraz; it can be found for around $15 a bottle.
[Reply]
pektel 10:55 AM 05-27-2012
Pretty good stuff...

:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 11:06 PM 05-27-2012
Had a very good bottle of "budget" wine at my brothers house tonight... 2009 Kendall Jackson GR Chardonnay. Retails $18. Not over oaked all.. Good buttery fruit, winner in my book.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:42 AM 05-28-2012
Symingtons Altano red is one I'd put against any $10 bottle of wine from where ever in the world. This is quality stuff that I haven't seen anything that can compete for a daily drinker.

Been some good posts on this thread, but few I would really consider a budget wine at $15+ (maybe I am too poor or cheap for this thread?)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:44 AM 05-28-2012
Moses, I agree, for me budget is around 8-12 for a bottle (which great wine can be had for), however if anyone offers to share a bottle with me, they all are budget for me:-)
[Reply]
Stephen 10:51 AM 05-28-2012
We're by no means wine connoisseurs, but the lil lady and I love us some Justin Vineyards. Normally can be found for around twenty five bucks, our local wine shop recently had it on sale for eighteen. Came home with a case of 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon. :-)

Just for everyday slurping, our weapon of choice is Apothic Red, which can usually be found between ten and fifteen bucks.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 09:47 PM 05-30-2012
IMO the best red for the price is Meridian Cab. When it is on sale at our local Raley's it goes for $5.99 a bottle, wonderful value. Otherwise, we like Bogle, Ravenswood Zin, Rosso from FF Capolla, and Zins from Kenwood. Many more too!
[Reply]
SeanGAR 07:56 PM 09-26-2012
Beaune Vignes Franches, Premier Cru 2009, Mazilly Pere et Fils $18
Haven't had a good Beaune since coming back from Dijon in the late 80s. I'm not chasing $50 and up wines and anything under $20 has not impressed me. Actually, the few times I've purchased $40-60 burgundy in the last few years I've been underwhelmed. This was nicely priced on WTSO.

Chianti Classico Riserva, Vigneto Odoardo Beccari Vignavecchia 2007 $23
Single vineyard Chianti that we like quite a bit. Again, WTSO.

Gelisi Antonio Sangue Di Giuda $9. Sweet, petillant red that has great flavors. I would not have expected to like this but it was recommended by the "wine guy" at Kroger.

And a local Virginia wine we like:
Villa Appalaccia Sangiovese (80% Sangiovese, 20% Montepulciano) $18
[Reply]
Justinphilly 07:11 AM 09-27-2012
Malbec is an awesome red that a lot of people
Haven't heard of. It's a good dinner party wine. The reason i say this is because wine snobs can enjoy it, people who don't drink wine frequently can enjoy, and the person hosting the party can Enjoy it as well since there are several brands offering bottles less than $10. I prefer Malbecs that are cast in oak, as I love the oaky ( is this a word) flavors.
[Reply]
SeanGAR 08:00 PM 09-27-2012
I find big, jammy Argentinian Malbecs often a bit much (too much alcohol, too ripe), but we really like Cahors as well as Virginia Malbecs such as Pearmund (not on their web page but available at the winery).
[Reply]
hammondc 07:10 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Had a very good bottle of "budget" wine at my brothers house tonight... 2009 Kendall Jackson GR Chardonnay. Retails $18. Not over oaked all.. Good buttery fruit, winner in my book.
I picked up a bottle of KJ 2009 Cabernet GR recently on sale for ~$15 that I was pretty damn impressed with.

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Moses, I agree, for me budget is around 8-12 for a bottle (which great wine can be had for), however if anyone offers to share a bottle with me, they all are budget for me:-)
Multi quoting you tonight. We should hang out. :-)

I agree. With my fairly limited experience (4 years being serious about wine), I find the $12-$15 range to be my sweet spot for everyday type wines.
[Reply]
hammondc 07:14 PM 09-28-2012
Originally Posted by Justinphilly:
as I love the oaky ( is this a word) flavors.
Definitely a quality (or taste) of wine and I agree. Some folks do not enjoy 'oaky' Cabs. I love it. If I could build a cab that was super jammy AND super oaky, I'd buy it.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:25 PM 09-28-2012
I picked up a bottle of KJ 2009 Cabernet GR recently on sale for ~$15 that I was pretty damn impressed with.

Multi quoting you tonight. We should hang out. :-)

I agree. With my fairly limited experience (4 years being serious about wine), I find the $12-$15 range to be my sweet spot for everyday type wines.
The GR chard was pretty good. I need to try the cab now, thanks for the heads up:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:08 AM 09-29-2012
Definitely a quality (or taste) of wine and I agree. Some folks do not enjoy 'oaky' Cabs. I love it. If I could build a cab that was super jammy AND super oaky, I'd buy it.
Try a new world CA pinot noir.
[Reply]
hammondc 05:56 PM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Try a new world CA pinot noir.
Great. Any reccos?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
« First < 234 5 >
Up