Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Hey Beer Guys, Recommend Some Stouts to Me
BlackDog 09:48 AM 12-01-2009
I had a stout at a brew pub over the weekend that I really liked. It had undertones of hot chocolate. Very nice. I've tried some Russian Imperial Stouts, and they're not really my thing. Or at least I haven't figured them out yet. But what "normal" American stouts can you recommend to me?
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:01 AM 12-01-2009
Originally Posted by volfan:
And lastly Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout is out of this world good and will last so you can cellar it.

scottie

:-) That would be my first choice. I can only get it in 4 packs now, at about $11 each :-), so I don't buy very much.

Rogue makes a couple stouts that are very good--"Shakespeare Stout", and one other--and Bell's has their Kalamazoo Stout (which is good,) and a Java Stout that I have not tried. Victory Brewing puts out Storm King Stout, which is a Russian Imperial that I really like.

Good luck!
[Reply]
lightning9191 10:08 AM 12-01-2009
I'm love stouts, particularly oatmeal stouts. Breckenridge oatmeal stout is delicious. I'd also recommend Sierra Nevada stout (nothing special, but a good stout at a good price) and Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout.
[Reply]
ytodd 10:11 AM 12-01-2009
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout is really nice for the price, but I have to agree that Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is off the chain!

Mad River makes a decent stout too, though I forget the name. I am into my winter porter mode now. Enjoying the double batch I brewed 12 weeks ago. :-)
[Reply]
BlackDog 10:14 AM 12-01-2009
Thanks for the recommendations guys, keep them coming. I can't get some of the brands you're recommending here in MN, but I may need to make a road trip to WI to buy some.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 10:15 AM 12-01-2009
Warren, I just noticed that Summit has an Oatmeal Stout available. I don't know where, or if just on tap, though.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/467/17637 Dunno if it is still Tap or cask only, since it is Nitro.
[Reply]
Wanger 11:43 AM 12-01-2009
We've gotten Left Hand and Bell's Kalamazoo locally, and I'd agree on those two. I'd add Founder's Breakfast Stout to the list of what you should try, too. And if you go out to a Granite City for dinner sometime, I'd definitely recommend you try their Broad Axe stout. I have the every time we go. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 02:52 PM 12-01-2009
Goose Island Oatmeal Stout is good.
[Reply]
ashtonlady 03:13 PM 12-01-2009
Abyss Imperial Stout from Deschutes Brewery is very smooth.
[Reply]
Scimmia 03:17 PM 12-01-2009
Stouts run such a wide range. When you look at everything from Guinness Draught to Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, the only thing they have in common is that they're darker in color. What stouts have you had that you liked?

For an Irish Dry, I'd try Black Sun from Three Floyds or a classic like Murphy's. For a sweet/milk stout, Left Hand does make a good one, or the ever popular Young's Double Chocolate Stout. For an Oatmeal Stout, Samuel Smith's is a must try, IMO. The Goose Island one is good, but a bit light for my tastes. For something a bit more hoppy, some of the American Stouts like Rogue's Shakespeare Stout or Lost Coast's 8 Ball are easy enough to find.

Then there's the Imperial Stouts. Being in MSP, I would think that Darkness from Surly would be one you'd have to try, if you can ind it. Old Rasputin is one of the definitions of the style, and widely available. Yeti from Great Divide is very good and can you can usually find it without too much problem. Founders also makes a great Imperial Stout that should be available soon.
[Reply]
Scimmia 03:57 PM 12-01-2009
Oh, be aware, a number of the beers people are recommending aren't going to be available in WI, either. Black Flag, Brooklyn, and Deschutes aren't distributed much in the midwest.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:01 PM 12-01-2009
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout is very nice!! :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 06:40 PM 12-01-2009
Breakfast Stout would be considered an imperial stout by most I would think. It is 8% ABV, which usually means they start adding the I.

Dogfish Head Chickory Stout is pretty good. I agree with Bells.

I'm not the best person to ask though, as I'm only a fan of stouts when I'm in the mood for them, which isn't too often.

Oh, and Boulevard makes a decent stout IMO. I think you can get that up there.
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:37 AM 12-02-2009
I ran into this article on BA as I've been trying to learn more about porters and stouts. Thought some of you beerheads might be interested. It talks about the history of porters and stouts and how they used to be made.

http://beerconnoisseur.com/porter-versus-stout
[Reply]
IBQTEE1 09:54 AM 12-02-2009
Ten Fidy Russian Imperial Stout Hoppin Frog Oatmeal Imperial Stout, Dog Fish Head World Wide Stout are some on my favs. But of course the Best one is Dark Lord.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 10:11 AM 12-02-2009
Some of the ones I like that have been mentioned already are the Left Hand Milk Stout and the Southern Tier Jah*Va Coffee Stout. I have found of the last few months as I have been sliding down the beer slope I really enjoy a smooth balanced stout. It is a fine line with either too much bitterness or not enough flavor. Those two haven't let me down yet. I know where I go they have a build your own six pack area and I usually buy from there because nobody wants to buy six packs of beer they aren't going to like. I am glad you asked this question because I am always on the look out for tasty stouts.
[Reply]
kydsid 10:14 AM 12-02-2009
I tell you I have been really impressed with Shiner's 100 year Commemorator. Also try Midnight Sun Beserker Imperial or Mammoth Stout.
[Reply]
ashtonlady 10:49 AM 12-02-2009
Thank you Black Dog, I always wondered if they were realated but I was not sure how.
[Reply]
BigCat 06:27 PM 12-03-2009
Goose Island Bourbon Stout - I only had one at a cigar bar last week, but it was outstanding. 13% alcohol and full of flavors. Kind of chocolate covered raisiny. I highly recommend it.
[Reply]
BlackDog 09:48 AM 12-06-2009
I went out yesterday and bought this mixed 6'er of stouts. Looking forward to trying a couple today.

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up