Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Hobgoblin English Dark Ale
BlackDog 01:05 PM 10-06-2009
I drank one of these last night while watching the Vikings & Packers, a 500ml bottle. Really good. Not has malty as Guiness, nor quite as heavy. Nice malty start, then sort of chocolatey, and a sharp finish. Nice head. Sort of a lighter stout. I really liked it, and will buy more.
[Reply]
Ken 01:33 PM 10-06-2009
+ 1 - A very good English Ale.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 01:41 PM 10-06-2009
Hell yeah. I went to school in London for a while and we drank a few times at the Hobgoblin pub (where this was of course served). We had quite a bottle collection in my room by the end of the year (what else was I going to use those bookshelves for?)
[Reply]
Darrell 01:43 PM 10-06-2009
This I'd like to try, however it seems BevMo does not carry it. :-)
[Reply]
Snake Hips 03:50 PM 10-06-2009
I'd like to get my hands on some of this, but "not as heavy as Guiness?" As light and weak as Guiness is (for a stout), I can't imagine this to have any body or much flavor to me. But I've heard it suggested before, so I need to check around I guess.
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:37 AM 10-07-2009
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
I'd like to get my hands on some of this, but "not as heavy as Guiness?" As light and weak as Guiness is (for a stout), I can't imagine this to have any body or much flavor to me. But I've heard it suggested before, so I need to check around I guess.
Tyler, take my comments as a guy who doesn't know much about stout beers. Give it a try. However bad my description is, it's a good beer.
[Reply]
kayaker 08:03 AM 10-07-2009
Haven't had it in a while but I think I remember it as being decent. May have to pick up another bottle to remind myself.:-)
[Reply]
Scimmia 09:56 AM 10-07-2009
It definitely has more flavor and body than Guinness. It's not a big beer by any means, but there's some there. Remember, Guinness has a reputation for being a really heavy, thick beer among BMC drinkers, even though the stuff is more like black water.

I haven't had Hobgoblin for a while, but I don't know if it's roasty enough to be called a porter, let alone a stout. Maybe on the border between a porter and a brown ale? Either way, I'd say it's worth a shot.
[Reply]
macpappy 08:42 PM 10-09-2009
Bought a six pack at Spec's when I was in Beaumont. It's good enough that I'm looking for a source in the New Orleans area.
[Reply]
Wanger 10:02 PM 10-10-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
I drank one of these last night while watching the Vikings & Packers, a 500ml bottle. Really good. Not has malty as Guiness, nor quite as heavy. Nice malty start, then sort of chocolatey, and a sharp finish. Nice head. Sort of a lighter stout. I really liked it, and will buy more.
Sounds like something I might like. Where'd you find it, Warren?
[Reply]
Snake Hips 10:52 PM 10-10-2009
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Tyler, take my comments as a guy who doesn't know much about stout beers. Give it a try. However bad my description is, it's a good beer.
Sorry, I didn't mean to seem blunt or hostile toward your description or your taste; I was just garnering some discussion. I'll definitely give it a try if I find it, as it has merit with a lot of people.
[Reply]
T.G 11:25 PM 10-10-2009
Hurm....
[Reply]
macpappy 08:44 PM 10-28-2009
CRAP! I found a local wine market that actually two six packs of Hobgoblin on the shelf - at $17.99 per six pack. When I bought it in Texas it was $10 plus change.
[Reply]
kayaker 12:09 AM 10-29-2009
Had this on tap for the first time a couple of nights ago. It was really good!!!:-)
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 12:18 AM 10-29-2009
If you think Thick and Rich, Dark Porters, Stout's and even a Bock you will be disappointing.

It is not by any means in that category. True in being a English dark ale, this will give you all the flavor of a powerful ale, and the sweetness you would expect, but with the sharpest finish you can imagine.

You would think this would linger for HOURS, but even with saying it has very flavorful and potent flavor, in a moment your palate will be clean!- before your next puff or bite of dinner.

Really a high caliber Beer for someone looking to try something of Quality, Damn good beer, One of my favorites by far!
[Reply]
Ken 08:08 AM 11-06-2009
Think of New Castle, but better. In my buds atleast.:-)
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 05:12 PM 11-06-2009
Originally Posted by Ken:
Think of New Castle, but better. In my buds atleast.:-)
and almost 10$ more for a 6pack hahaha, But well worth is :-)
[Reply]
kayaker 06:42 PM 11-06-2009
Originally Posted by Guitarman-S.T-:
and almost 10$ more for a 6pack hahaha, But well worth is :-)
They sell them by the each here. Just under $4 a piece.
[Reply]
tooomanycolors 06:52 PM 11-06-2009
favorite beer for me, even got my boss to buy a keg for the bar...now its gone :-) but i did get the last pint and a half before it kicked
[Reply]
Guitarman-S.T- 07:10 PM 11-06-2009
Originally Posted by kayaker:
They sell them by the each here. Just under $4 a piece.
what size bottles?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up