Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Craft beers for a restaurant
pnoon 01:30 PM 07-19-2013
Originally Posted by mmblz:
no IPA ????
:-)

i would imagine that with distribution the way it is you'd be better off posting the list of what you can actually get and then asking which ones people like, instead of getting suggestions of a bunch of stuff you likely can't get...
I thought of that too, Julian.

I think that is a much better approach.
[Reply]
mk05 04:01 PM 07-19-2013
We use Burke Anheuser and Harpoon, but I have enough connections to get whatever I need. Thanks guys
[Reply]
dial911 05:55 PM 07-22-2013
I have a good recommendation for you, if I'm not too late:

312 Urban Wheat - Goose Island Beer Co.

The beer is golden blond in color, has a fantastic taste, and is definitely refreshing. Just what you are looking for!
[Reply]
mk05 06:09 PM 07-22-2013
Not a problem, I think I'll keep the thread rolling.

If certain beers are great but very hard to procure on a consistent basis, I'll put them on a "beer of the week." I guess I'll bump this thread the next time I am looking for some inspiration.

Thanks everyone.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:25 PM 07-22-2013
Originally Posted by mk05:
Not a problem, I think I'll keep the thread rolling.

If certain beers are great but very hard to procure on a consistent basis, I'll put them on a "beer of the week." I guess I'll bump this thread the next time I am looking for some inspiration.

Thanks everyone.
Let me know if there is anything from San Diego/southern California you'd like feedback on.
[Reply]
mk05 06:36 PM 07-22-2013
Thank you! I will. I'll also do some primary research before reaching out next.
[Reply]
T.G 06:40 PM 07-22-2013
NorCal is typically hop heaven, but I'll check tomorrow if a particular German brewery I know can get kegs out to Boston. No point in me suggesting what you can't get. I know they ship cases to PA, so maybe it's possible.
[Reply]
kydsid 07:17 PM 07-22-2013
Lived for Alaska for 7 years and drank everything up there. You find anything from there and want an opinion let me know.

The only general opinion I'll give as to not waste time is for Alaskan Amber. It is a great Amber. It however does not travel or age well. In fact Alaskan Amber in Juneau tastes different than it does in Anchorage. There have been many times I have sent Alaskan Amber back after ordering it because it was old and skunky. To anyone who hasn't had it they don't notice, but I always do. Alaskan has been nice though and added production dates to the bottles so that can help.
[Reply]
mk05 08:08 PM 07-22-2013
Originally Posted by kydsid:
...Alaskan Amber. It is a great Amber. It however does not travel or age well. In fact Alaskan Amber in Juneau tastes different than it does in Anchorage.
This is a big secret of the beer business. It is incredible how beer changes character in temp/time/pressure.

The easiest test I give to people (who don't care/know the difference) is the Heineken test. I rarely meet anyone who drinks Heineken bottles - or even cans. They complain about the sharpness, the very apparent bitter taste that Heineken is "known for." But pour them a tall one from a day fresh keg without them knowing, and they will tell you that it is the smoothest, silkiest, richest beer that they've ever drank. Then show them the keg and watch as their minds are blown.
[Reply]
poriggity 11:27 AM 07-23-2013
I don't know how easily you would be able to procure from these two breweries, because they are pretty small scale at this point, but Hands down my favorite is Ritual Brewing, with Hangar 24 coming in a close 2nd.

www.ritualbrewing.com
www.hangar24brewery.com

They are both in the Redlands, Ca area. Hangar makes great brews, and is a bit larger in distribution than Ritual. Ritual, though, IMHO has some of the best microbrew in California.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 12:14 PM 07-23-2013
I am of the opinion as a homebrewer and a guy who enjoys a wide variety of styles of beer that your limitations may exclude some of the best beers you might carry that may have a profitable sales record for you. Excluding some beers that aren't ~your~ particular taste or style does not preclude that they may be wonderful beers for your customers and may pair well with your food for certain palates. Sometimes, a beer list might not be about "liking what ~you~ drink, and drinking what ~you~ like." I don't mean to be disrespectful of your reasoning, but that is what comes to mind when a limitation list is posted. Can you explain why the specifications were posted? I would be curious about the reasoning, purely for a zymurgic and gustatory fascination.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:20 PM 07-23-2013
Is there even a brewery on Nantucket and if there is, is it worth it to get beer from them? I can say that http://www.ipswichalebrewery.com/ are making some nice beer for a reasonable cost. Keeps the east coast maritime theme that one would associated with Nantucket. One beer from Montreal I really like is http://mcauslan.com/en/
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up