Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Monkey Shoulder Blended Scotch
omowasu 08:08 PM 09-17-2012
My old man suggested a new blended scotch called Monkey Shoulder. It retails at 29.00 / 750ml and comes in at 86 proof. It is a blend of three Speyside single malts, but the sources aren't specified. More info at www.monkeyshoulder.com.

Anyway, I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago, and Im already on my second bottle. This one seems to go great with cigars and has a very smooth, balanced flavor profile. I dont even cut it with water, its that smooth. Normally Id look at a Johnny Walker Black for blended scotch, but Monkey Shoulder brings up the bar a little bit. Anyone else have experience with this one? If not, give it a try!
[Reply]
icehog3 08:14 PM 09-17-2012
I don't drink scotch, so I am praying Monkey Shoulder tequila is coming soon.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:56 PM 09-17-2012
Hmmmm...interesting. I'll be looking for it.
[Reply]
hammondc 10:46 AM 10-19-2012
Picked up a bottle yesterday. The Republic Distribution rep was there and said they have not been able to keep it stocked as it is flying out the doors. There were 2 left on the shelf. I keep meaning to try and find which distilleries go into it. It smells heavenly and has a STRONG indication of Balvenie. I am a Balvenie fan-boy, so that is a very good thing.
[Reply]
Frodo 03:09 PM 10-19-2012
Monkey Shoulder is a vatting of Glenfidich, Balvenie and Kninninvie. The latter is a malt distillery owned by William Grant & Sons and is used as a blend filler (not available as a single malt).
[Reply]
jjmitchem 04:08 PM 10-19-2012
That sounds really good

Ill have to look for it when I get home
[Reply]
hammondc 04:28 PM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by Frodo:
Monkey Shoulder is a vatting of Glenfidich, Balvenie and Kninninvie. The latter is a malt distillery owned by William Grant & Sons and is used as a blend filler (not available as a single malt).
Nice. Good info, Bro. Looks like I am right about Balvenie and I would never turn down the Glenfiddich either. I am pouring a fist of it now.
[Reply]
hammondc 04:34 PM 10-19-2012
It is cheap enough to mix too *GASP*!!!!

Their website has a listing for a Perry Fizz
15ml Money Shoulder
15ml Pear Puree
Dash of Angostura Bitters
Topped with sparkling wine.

Sounds nice for Thanksgiving.
[Reply]
hammondc 04:43 PM 10-19-2012
OK.....yeah. This is REALLY good stuff.
[Reply]
Brlesq 04:45 PM 10-19-2012
Great info! Trip to the liquor store tomorrow!
[Reply]
hammondc 04:57 PM 10-19-2012
Originally Posted by Brlesq:
Great info! Trip to the liquor store tomorrow!
Do it.
[Reply]
EricF 06:10 PM 10-19-2012
I am gonna have to look for this at my local store! I am a fan of the Glen & The Balvenie!!
[Reply]
mastershogun 07:51 PM 10-20-2012
I've heard some good things about monkey shoulder. How does it compare with Black Bottle? I usually have some Black Bottle... very smooth and less than $20. Not complex by any means but sure is good and cheap.
[Reply]
Frodo 04:03 AM 10-22-2012
I've had Black Bottle and it's a smokey blended whisky. Monkey Shoulder has no smoky whisky in the blend and no grain whisky in the blend - only malt. I've never had MS but I have heard it has some of the character of Glenfiddich/Balvenie in that soft fruity mold, thinned out by the Kininvie. I would expect Black Bottle to be thinner and much smokier by contrast.
[Reply]
mastershogun 08:57 PM 11-27-2012
So after comparing it to black bottle... my best cheap scotch vote goes to black bottle. Monkey Shoulder is not bad at all but doesn't justify the $10 difference. I prefer smokier stuff so that is the main reason why I prefer Black Bottle.
[Reply]
hammondc 08:42 PM 04-20-2013
Having some now. Still love it.
[Reply]
Up