Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Xikar crystal jar - mold spots
Whiskeytown 08:46 PM 06-24-2011
I am currently using a small xikar humidification jar in my 50ct desktop humidor. The humidor has been holding at 69/69 but I opened her up today and took a peek inside the jar and noticed a small black spot on the top layer of the crystals. Can I pick it out or do I need to do some immediate quarantine? Thoughts on why the mold formed?
[Reply]
pnoon 08:48 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by Whiskeytown:
I am currently using a small xikar humidification jar in my 50ct desktop humidor. The humidor has been holding at 69/69 but I opened her up today and took a peek inside the jar and noticed a small black spot on the top layer of the crystals. Can I pick it out or do I need to do some immediate quarantine? Thoughts on why the mold formed?
Don't panic. Those crystals do get moldy.
You will find most cigar hobbyists here use humidification beads. Much easier to use and maintain as well as more reliable.
:-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 08:48 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by Whiskeytown:
Are you sure its mold? Remember that you need to use Distilled water when using the crystals. If you don't spots can show up, its not necessarily a bad thing, just not recommended.
[Reply]
Whiskeytown 08:55 PM 06-24-2011
I'll examine it closer but I just assumed it was. The jar was filled at purchase by my local cigar shop. I would hope they would have used PG or DW.
[Reply]
Whiskeytown 09:29 PM 06-24-2011
After closer examination the spots were black. I just did some cursory searching and this could be mildew instead of mold. Will the former lead to the latter?
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:11 PM 06-24-2011
There are lots of better humidification options available to you. Like Peter said, beads seem to be most prevalent. If you do a little searching you will find something that suits your needs. Don't be afraid to ask questions!
[Reply]
Up