Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Thermoelectric Coolers
Mannyboy 11:44 AM 05-16-2020
does anyone have one installed in their humidor. Is it worth it for the price. I priced one and it’s $1500.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 11:57 AM 05-16-2020
Thermoelectric systems (or any other heating / cooling system) in a humidor give you precise temperature control. But, they make it much harder to maintain the desired relative humidity. So, you’d probably also need a humidification system that runs on a humidistat.

How big a humidor are you talking about? You can buy a small thermoelectric wine cooler for less than that.
[Reply]
Mannyboy 12:24 PM 05-16-2020
48 wide x 15" deep x 32½" high. It’s the model 50 from the humidor store. The cooling system is from Aristocrat humidors
[Reply]
icehog3 01:01 PM 05-16-2020
Is the Aristocrat unti solely a cooling unit or also a humidifier?
[Reply]
Mannyboy 01:48 PM 05-16-2020
It has both. Comes with the set and forget humidifier.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 01:59 PM 05-16-2020
Manny, you’re talking about spending more on environmental control than on the box. If you did a poll of the members here, very few worry about temperature control. We do worry about relative humidity.

As long as your humidor is going to be in a room where the people are comfy, I’d skip temperature control. My 2 cents.
[Reply]
Snook 02:36 PM 05-16-2020
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Manny, you’re talking about spending more on environmental control than on the box. If you did a poll of the members here, very few worry about temperature control. We do worry about relative humidity.

As long as your humidor is going to be in a room where the people are comfy, I’d skip temperature control. My 2 cents.
I highly agree with this. Ambient temp averages 75 degrees where my cigars are stored. It’s been like this for years and I’ve never had a problem.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:55 PM 05-16-2020
Yup, I've had a large Aristocrat without temperature control (just the Set & Forget humidification system) since 2007, and my cigars have been fine.

What region of Cali are you in, Manny?
[Reply]
Mannyboy 06:44 PM 05-16-2020
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Yup, I've had a large Aristocrat without temperature control (just the Set & Forget humidification system) since 2007, and my cigars have been fine.

What region of Cali are you in, Manny?
I’m in central Ca. Bakersfield 2hours north of LA
[Reply]
icehog3 09:55 AM 05-17-2020
Gotcha. I keep my house temp at 70* for the summer so that I don't have the need for temperature control in the humidor.
[Reply]
markem 10:08 AM 05-17-2020
Since you are looking at an Aristocrat cooling unit, give Bob Staebell, the owner, a call. Super nice guy and will not lead your astray.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 06:32 AM 05-18-2020
As far as the cooling units themselves, I had Bob install two in my Aristocrat when he built it (I live in the desert). The cabinet is going on thirteen years old now and I've never had a problem with it.
[Reply]
Up