Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Entertainment>Avatar
hotreds 06:29 PM 12-18-2009
Saw this with the missus today. What a piece of left-wing, enviromental- waco, pagan, agitprop! America BAD! Soldiers- BAD! Capitalism- BAD! The 3-D effects weren't that great, either! I hope this piece of crap fails miserably. I've seen better film on teeth!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 06:31 PM 12-18-2009
The advertisements are everywhere for this, and they all still dont make me want to see it!
[Reply]
longknocker 07:21 PM 12-18-2009
Glad I Didn't Go!:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:32 PM 12-18-2009
Thanks for the input. I won't see this movie now.
[Reply]
ActionAndy 07:35 PM 12-18-2009
It looks goofy as hell. I liked it better when it was called Fern Gully. I liked it better when it was called Dances with Wolves.

Blue cat people? Too much CGI? 3D? How gimmicky can we get here. They can transfer his brain to a completely different organism but they can't get him out of a wheelchair? :-)

James Cameron's being hyped as some sort of film god because he created a sci-fi universe from the ground up. Luc Besson already did that, it was called the Fifth Element. It was well done and no one spent $350 million patting themselves on the back over it.

(And btw I'm a film fanatic, I'll watch nearly anything).
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:39 PM 12-18-2009
I'm going tomorrow. I can't wait! From what I seen in the preview it looks to be the leadership that's bad, not the soldiers. And from what I saw it also looks like an attempt at conquest which is bad. It also looks like tyranny which is what America stands against. You know what Ol Ben Franklin said though... I haven't seen it yet but that's just what I gather from the preview. I hope it doesn't suck.

P.S. I'm not trying to argue with you hotreds. Much respect brother.:-)
[Reply]
SilverFox 07:45 PM 12-18-2009
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Saw this with the missus today. What a piece of left-wing, enviromental- waco, pagan, agitprop! America BAD! Soldiers- BAD! Capitalism- BAD! The 3-D effects weren't that great, either! I hope this piece of crap fails miserably. I've seen better film on teeth!
Hey Amigo.

Messages aside my 10 and 8 year old boys want to go. What do you think??? Doesn't seem too bad to me but trailers are for all audiences.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:48 PM 12-18-2009
I'm taking my daughter in the morning. She's half the reason I want to go in the first place. Check out this link if you want to see the kid friendly break down of most movies. www.kids-in-mind.com
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:50 PM 12-18-2009
WOW!!! Thanks for the "heads-up" Saw the trailer, thought this might be an interesting one to watch. Now, think I'll sit it out, read some more reviews, make sure this isn't another in Hollywood's continuing efforts to be America's "Moral Barometer" - Like those mostly immoral bastages have any business preaching to the general population!!
[Reply]
hotreds 08:48 PM 12-18-2009
Hotredsmama says that she was turned off by the lack of story development and the lackluster 3-D. All that money for a poorly made film, to say nothing of my complaints!

Fox: Your boys might enjoy it, I dunno. Some of the scenes are kinda neat, the flora and fauna of the planet are the only thing that we both liked. So, your youngsters might find that part "kewl", and the message might be over their heads. There is really very little swearing and no sex, but a fair amount of violence.

Mario: I'd be interested in your opinion after you see it.

It's interesting that the movietickets.com "people" reviews have given it very high marks- and we usually find their reviews much more to our liking than the so-called "expert" film reviewers- but I guess that most of those are from people who likely went to the midnight showings and were predisposed to like it. Wonder what the reviews will be like after about a week. FYI- the theater we saw it in had about a dozen folks at the 10:40 am showing.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:59 PM 12-18-2009
I saw the trailer and it totally turned me off. Pissed me off, really. No money from me.
BTW, 5th element is one of my favorite movies of all time. I never get tired of watching it again.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:06 PM 12-18-2009
Mario: I'd be interested in your opinion after you see it.
Will do. :-) I may not like it. I can appreciate a movie with a lot of depth and this may not be such. I'm still a sucker for that "feeling" some movies give me though.

Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
BTW, 5th element is one of my favorite movies of all time. I never get tired of watching it again.
5th Element was a great movie. I especially liked the opera scene.
[Reply]
Powers 01:42 PM 12-19-2009
don't know if i'll go see Avatar but i just put 5th Element on my netlfix list!

:-)
[Reply]
ucla695 05:15 PM 12-19-2009
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
WOW!!! Thanks for the "heads-up" Saw the trailer, thought this might be an interesting one to watch. Now, think I'll sit it out, read some more reviews, make sure this isn't another in Hollywood's continuing efforts to be America's "Moral Barometer" - Like those mostly immoral bastages have any business preaching to the general population!!
:-) I haven't been that excited about this movie and will sit it out now that I know this.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 05:24 PM 12-19-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
:-) I haven't been that excited about this movie and will sit it out now that I know this.
same here
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 06:27 PM 12-19-2009
I just got back from seeing it. I thought it sucked.
3D effects were not that amazing. Kind of reminded me of going to a "smoke" shop with black lights and neon posters all over.
Dont give into the hype, not even sure that its rental worthy.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:20 PM 12-19-2009
Hugh, I watched it and really enjoyed it. My daughter absolutely loved it. We got the last two tickets to the 11:30 AM show and at the end of the movie the theater was full of applause. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. To each his own my friend.

I thought the plot went together fairly well, although a few parts made no sense and it was predictable. The CG was believable and vibrant. The concepts were mostly unique.

As far as other remarks go. Left-wing: maybe. Pagan: of course, any non Judeo-Christian religion is pagan, but hey, it's a movie about an alien world. Environmental: yes. Agitprop: maybe, but hasn't every country in history done that with entertainment including ours? Wakko: hell yeah. Anti American: the US was not mentioned once, nor was a flag portrayed. Anti-soldier: at the beginning of the movie it was stated that these were not the honorable soldiers back home but more like guns for hire controlled by the corporations. Anti-capitalism: I can see this point slightly, but Capatalism is bad when it involves sentient life in my opinion.

The 3D aspect was 3D although not hugely impressive. Then again I don't really need a giant object flung at me several times during every 3D movie I watch to make it good.

Aside from those points the CG can be argued and I didn't catch your comment about film on teeth earlier but it was funny. I enjoyed it, you didn't, and that's okay. I hope everybody reading this takes either opinion as anecdotal evidence because that's all it is.

All in all, I liked this movie but I'm not itching to go see it again any time soon. There it is. Have a good one Hugh! Maybe we can start a hotreds/Mariogolbee movie review thread...:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 07:29 PM 12-19-2009
Glad you and your daughter enjoyed it!
[Reply]
mariogolbee 07:35 PM 12-19-2009
Glad you and your daughter enjoyed it!
Thanks. Me too. Not as much as this Drac though! (Finally smoked a good one...)
[Reply]
Darrell 07:37 PM 12-19-2009
I'll see this Monday. If for nothing but the visual effects.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up