Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Changing my name....
LasciviousXXX 08:34 AM 07-27-2010
So I have been considering legally changing my name for the past 7-8 years. Its not that I hate my name, I just do not feel that it fits me. The reason that I have been pondering it for so many years, rather than getting my ass in gear and changing it, is that I've never found a name that I thought fits me. I've been looking for something relatively unique that fits my personality. I wasn't trying to go all Frank Zappa and name myself someting outrageous like "Dweezil" or "Moon-Unit", but something that isn't as common as my current name. Hell, I have a 2nd cousin named Zebulon so I was trying to steer clear of that far out in left field.

My name in and of itself isn't a bad name. It is just a very common name, albeit not as common as John or David. My mother named me after Dustin Hoffman. Ok, fine. A good actor who has done some amazing work in his career. I can dig that. However, she named me after him after seeing him in the movie "Tootsie". That's right, my mom named me after Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. Wonderful! It couldn't be Kramer vs Kramer or The Graduate or hell, even Rain man (I realize this was filmed after I was born, but I'm making a point damnit!) At least she didn't name me after him in Midnight Cowboy.

So after many years of searching, I have stumbled upon a name which resonates with me. In more ways than one it fits my personality and my beliefs. So now all that is left is the almost insurmountable task of legally changing my name. An endless stream of phone calls, paperwork and dealings with government entities. Oh the joy and rapture of dealing with the DMV and Social Security Office. Be still my beating heart. If it weren't for the amount of time that I have been wanting to do this, the process of actually doing it would almost not be worth it.

So just wanted to let my CA family know that as of next week I will be changing my name to Týr. Feel free to still call me Dustin, I know a lot of people will, it won't bother me in the slightest. As I told my mother (who isn't too happy about it by the way) its more for me than anyone else anyway LOL. I'll answer to anything, except shorty... only Pnoon can call me that :-)

Dustin (soon to be Týr)
XXX
[Reply]
massphatness 08:38 AM 07-27-2010
That's kinda' cool. I would not have the balls, so I applaud you following through with it: congrats!

And can you phonetically enlighten me, so when I finally have the opportunity to meet you, I know whether it's more like "tire" or "tear" or "terre" and not make an ass of myself?
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 08:40 AM 07-27-2010
LOL, Vin you already have a cool name so no balls are needed HAHA! :-)

Pronounced like /ˈtɪər/
[Reply]
timj219 08:40 AM 07-27-2010
Right up to the end I thought you were changing your name to Lasciviousxxx
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:41 AM 07-27-2010
Do you mind if I will keep calling you "hey boss, da plane"?

congrats on the name change
[Reply]
pnoon 08:42 AM 07-27-2010
Congrats, Shorty. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 08:44 AM 07-27-2010
Congrats Bro. We only go around once (unless you're Shirley MacLaine) so we need to grab the brass ring whenever we can. :-)

And since you're not using Dweezil, can I have it? :-)
[Reply]
croatan 08:44 AM 07-27-2010
I know you've wanted this for a while, bro, glad to hear you're ready to do it. Of course, you know there's no way in hell I'm going to remember to call you anything other than Dustin :-)
[Reply]
markem 08:44 AM 07-27-2010
You'll always be the "luscious" one to me, Tyr, lascivious one that you are.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 08:45 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
Right up to the end I thought you were changing your name to Lasciviousxxx
Now that would be fun to put on a job application :-)

Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Do you mind if I will keep calling you "hey boss, da plane"?
LOL, that's still one of my fave things from the Chat days

Originally Posted by pnoon:
Congrats, Shorty. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:46 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX:
LOL, Vin you already have a cool name so no balls are needed HAHA! :-)

Pronounced like /ˈtɪər/
Thanks for clearing that up!!....Congrats
[Reply]
darkleeroy 08:47 AM 07-27-2010
Grats, Tyr as in the Norse God of War?

If I ever changed my name, it would definitely be Inigo.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 08:48 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill:
And since you're not using Dweezil, can I have it? :-)
Frank Zappa's kid might be pissed but go for it!!!

Originally Posted by croatan:
I know you've wanted this for a while, bro, glad to hear you're ready to do it. Of course, you know there's no way in hell I'm going to remember to call you anything other than Dustin :-)
LOL, there was no doubt in my mind bro :-)

Originally Posted by markem:
You'll always be the "luscious" one to me, Tyr, lascivious one that you are.
:-) I still like Luscious the best. Having grown men call me that though is sometimes unnerving HAHA!
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:53 AM 07-27-2010
Congrats!!
[Reply]
poker 08:54 AM 07-27-2010
I think you should change it to Tootsie :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:56 AM 07-27-2010
So, it is pronounced like a car tire?
[Reply]
Eleven 08:59 AM 07-27-2010
Congrats on having the fortitude to think it over long and hard and get it done!

My aunt changed her name shortly after me and my cousin became adults. They of course all call her by her new name, but I never have. Just can't do it. 20+ years of calling your aunt "Sharon" and then knowing she is now an "Alexandra"? I also know she really didn't give it much thought, it was just a reaction to hating her father :-)

I have been doing Genealogy work the last year, and found out my first ancestor to hit America 9 generations ago changed his last name right off the boat, that very day. From the day I learned that, I wondered what it would be like to change it back :-)
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 08:59 AM 07-27-2010
A rose by any other name.....

MCS
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:00 AM 07-27-2010
e-man67 told me that he is no longer going to be called Eric. He now wants to be called Erica.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 09:03 AM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by Eleven:
Congrats on having the fortitude to think it over long and hard and get it done!

My aunt changed her name shortly after me and my cousin became adults. They of course all call her by her new name, but I never have. Just can't do it. 20+ years of calling your aunt "Sharon" and then knowing she is now an "Alexandra"? I also know she really didn't give it much thought, it was just a reaction to hating her father :-)

I have been doing Genealogy work the last year, and found out my first ancestor to hit America 9 generations ago changed his last name right off the boat, that very day. From the day I learned that, I wondered what it would be like to change it back :-)

My dad has found that a few times in our family history as well. My maternal grandfather had a last name of Richard but if you go back a couple generations, the last name is Richards. Dad said it was a family feud.

MCS
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up