Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>my wineador build (whats your 2cents)
Nystogiesmoker22 10:26 AM 08-11-2013
I just garbed this guy for $40. It doesn't cool but that's okay as I am located in New York and don't see it being needed. The draws pull out so I'm thinking of using the hardware to mount in shelves, wire in 4 computer fans ( one blowing up and another down) in the lower and upper sections and then use a 1 1/2 lbs of beads. I'm open to any suggestions as this is my first time with such a build and any insight is helpful and welcome.
Thanks folks!
Attached: image-12.jpg (9.6 KB) image-14.jpg (11.4 KB) image-13.jpg (9.9 KB) 
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:32 AM 08-11-2013
Great deal for $ 40. :-) :-)
[Reply]
TJarv 11:08 AM 08-11-2013
Sounds like a plan Shawn
[Reply]
.cigardude. 11:22 AM 08-11-2013
Nice catch!

What's the capacity on that bad boy?
You may need a little more than 1 1/2 lbs of beads.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:50 AM 08-11-2013
Nice box, you should make a new overlay so one of the settings says "Cigars" :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:16 PM 08-11-2013
Before you get too deep into this, check if it's compressor based unit or a Thermoelectric.

Should be pretty easy to tell, just turn it around and look at the back.

If it's a TEC, then there are plenty of threads here on how to set up the cooler.

If it's a compressor, you can make it work, but you'll probably have to make some modifications.
[Reply]
Nystogiesmoker22 12:17 PM 08-11-2013
Cogardude it's a 28 botle ��. Adam that's a great idea! Ill def throw that idea into the plans if you don't mind
[Reply]
Nystogiesmoker22 01:55 PM 08-11-2013
Hey Andy if the unit no longer works would it still matter what type of cooling system I have?
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:07 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by Nystogiesmoker22:
Hey Andy if the unit no longer works would it still matter what type of cooling system I have?
Not at all...if you keep it not working. If you decide to "fix" it down the road...must be thermoelectric. :-)
[Reply]
Weelok 02:31 PM 08-11-2013
I use that exact system as a refrigerator. You have to put in a potent humidification system, i.e. active system. The reason is the refrigerator dehumidifies the system. I set it for 67% at the bottom of the refrigerator and that keeps the average humidity fine. It goes up and down and is not a nice stable 67%. I've about 5 pounds of beads but in reality, they are slow to react compared to the active elements.

You have to determine the right humidity for yourself by smoking the cigars from the various levels to see how they are smoking. The middle tends to be the most humid due to that is where the fans are located that circulate the air. The bottom is the driest as can be expected so you can rotate your cigars appropriately.

I've had it for about a year and a half and it's a nice upgrade from the 28 bottle thermoelectric cooler I had before. I can post pictures of my set up if you want. Nothing fancy beyond the refrigerator. Plus sides, no mold, stay cold and no beetles. Minus side, you end up filling your active humidification system a lot more frequently then you would a real sealed humidor so it's not hassle free.
[Reply]
Nystogiesmoker22 02:46 PM 08-11-2013
Dave please post pics! Would love to see your set up. My question to you is, are you running the cooling system? I won't be and I know with compressor cooling systems they suck out the humidity. I figure since Its a dual zone system it's actually two individual sections with a fan to circulate air between zones. I was going to just have 3/4lbs of beads in the upper and lower units. Would this be okay?
[Reply]
Sadden 04:20 PM 08-11-2013
Thats still a fairly large unit. I would seriously be considering an active/passive combo set up.
[Reply]
Nystogiesmoker22 04:31 PM 08-11-2013
Colin what what set up would you recommend as a combo set up?
[Reply]
Nystogiesmoker22 04:55 PM 08-11-2013
Oasis with kl or beads or something different
[Reply]
Nystogiesmoker22 04:57 PM 08-11-2013
Also with an oasis, would this work if my wineador is two levels cause the fan to circulate air is blowing down from the top unit
[Reply]
bobarian 05:28 PM 08-11-2013
I use a pound of beads in two bags in my 28btl Vinotemp and no fans. This has worked for me without issues for nearly 5 years. A pound and a half should be fine without any additional need for active humidification. Just place half at the top and half at the bottom, you can use ankle high womens stockings or filter bags for aquariums to hold the beads. Use beads from Heartfeltindustries.com or Shilala beads from Michael(cigarnut). Gel or crystals are not the same as beads. :-)
[Reply]
Zane 05:35 PM 08-11-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I use a pound of beads in two bags in my 28btl Vinotemp and no fans. This has worked for me without issues for nearly 5 years. A pound and a half should be fine without any additional need for active humidification. Just place half at the top and half at the bottom, you can use ankle high womens stockings or filter bags for aquariums to hold the beads. Use beads from Heartfeltindustries.com or Shilala beads from Michael(cigarnut). Gel or crystals are not the same as beads. :-)
Bob is spot on. And since the cooling no longer works it shouldn't zap out all the humidity.
[Reply]
BlackDog 06:27 PM 08-11-2013
Great buy, I'm jealous. Post pictures of your completed project.
[Reply]
Sadden 07:31 PM 08-11-2013
What are the dimensions on this unit?

I use an active passive combo on my 48" tall aristocrat. I use Bobs Set and Forget and about 8 pds of HCM beads. It takes 20-30 seconds to come back up to humidity after I close the door :-) I suspect that that's a little overkill on your setup though.

I would do either
A) Heartfelt Beads
B) Oasis + HCM Beads

"A" is the more economical option. It will be worry free and reliable. And on its own will do an excellent job.
"B" While more expensive will require less maintenance and bring your RH back up faster as well as scavenge any ammonia that your cigars off gas as they age.

No matter which route you go I would be placing beads throughout the wineador and not in one spot. And I would be buying quality beads and not some no name junk or even worse kitty litter.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:36 AM 08-12-2013
Great deal! Looks nice and the lights work!!!
Sounds like you have a good game plan although it looks small enough to me that you really wouldn't need fans in there.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up