Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Anyone have experience with these lighters? Cheap Ronson
BHalbrooks 08:16 PM 06-20-2013
I was bombed one of these a while ago, and it seems to last a while per Butane fill, and work better overall than either of the Xicars I have. I gave one of the cheaper Xikars to a coworker who's getting into Cigars, and was using a BIC. Then my other Xikar stopped working. I really hate sending stuff back to Manufacturers, so I started using this Ronson lighter as my sole lighter. I've been looking online, etc to find where I could get another, depending on price, and couldn't find anything about them anywhere.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm walking through Walmart and see these out of the corner of my eye, on the shelf next to Zippos, and other Lighter stuff Walmart has by the tobacco area. These are $3.50 apiece, and feel really sturdy, and I haven't had a problem with the original yet. I'm not sure if anyone has had a lot of experience with these, but I figured I'd pass it along in case anyone needs a cheap lighter right away that works like a horse, or if someone's getting into Cigars (Seems like we've had a lot of new members lately.) I've attached a couple pictures.

Just trying to spread the love with y'all :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:19 PM 06-20-2013
Yea those work fine Brian, Single torch and not overly adjustable but they light reliably which for me is half the battle...

Now if only Ronson made a triple flame... :-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 08:20 PM 06-20-2013
True Rob, even a double flame would be great, but for the price, I'm ok with a single flame.
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:25 PM 06-20-2013
Yup... I agree, can't beat the price unless you were to buy a case on DX yourself or jump on a group buy, if you're buying individual lighters the Ronson are the way to go...

For a gift they are great, That being said, if it were going to be my go to lighter, I would then purge the Ronson fuel and refill with a better butane, I forget which but there are 2 types of butane n-butane and iso-butane, ronson comes pre-filled with the cheaper of the 2 and can possibly muttle tastes on mild sticks... :-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 08:27 PM 06-20-2013
Great point Rob. I use Xikar, and purged all of them. Thank you sir :-)
[Reply]
MrClean 08:32 PM 06-20-2013
I love the Ronson jet, I have 3 or 4 laying around, my truck, the garage, the barn...etc. I don't care if I lose them and they are reliable for sure. The only drawback is not knowing how much fuel is left in them. :-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 08:41 PM 06-20-2013
This is good a point as any to ask, can you leave a filled lighter in a Vehicle? It seems like it'd be ok as long as it was in the glove box or something, but I'd rather rely on some FOG knowledge.
[Reply]
Zane 08:42 PM 06-20-2013
Love the Ronson. I always have 4 or 5 scattered.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 08:48 PM 06-20-2013
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks:
This is good a point as any to ask, can you leave a filled lighter in a Vehicle? It seems like it'd be ok as long as it was in the glove box or something, but I'd rather rely on some FOG knowledge.
i have 3 lighters in my truck all the time. filled all the time. never had a problem
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:52 PM 06-20-2013
as long as not left in the seat in direct sunlight, I have never had an issue with any lighter left in a vehicle...
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:07 AM 06-21-2013
They are over built for the price. Not my everyday lighter but good to have in the car and other methodical locations.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 05:52 AM 06-21-2013
Love the ronson Jetlite I own like 4 of those and full ten with the cheap ronson crap and they run great
[Reply]
captain53 06:06 AM 06-21-2013
Jet Lite is one of the best basic pocket size lighters and available for under $$4 at Many Walmart's. there are numerous old threads on here about Jet Lites.

That said though they almost disappeared from the stores for a couple of years and now back readily available but with an obviously cheaper feel. Someone bought Ronson out a few years ago but can't remember who it was. If you can find some older ones they work about the same but feel more solid. Once made in the U.S.A. But have been coming from China for a good while now.

Still far and above the best competitive priced pocket lighter from my experience. Nice that when traveling by air you can run in most Walmart's and pick up a jet lighter that works for $4 to use and toss or give away.
[Reply]
captain53 06:13 AM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
Love the ronson Jetlite I own like 4 of those and full ten with the cheap ronson crap and they run great
That is also a very good point they are about the only jet that will operate on the cheap Ronson fuel also available at Walmart. What a coincidence cheap crap and available at Walmart!

One note when looking for them the Ronsons are usually hanging with the Bic Crap in the checkout area, sometimes only in the tobacco checkout area. The Ronson fuel is in the hardware department and on the plumbing aisle sometimes.
[Reply]
joeobx 08:21 AM 06-21-2013
I love these things. I pick up 3 or 4 at a time. The tops get loose on them but other than that for 4 bucks you cant beat them.
[Reply]
shilala 09:00 AM 06-21-2013
The best value in a torch lighter on the planet.
[Reply]
357 12:08 PM 06-21-2013
If you remove the adjustment limiter ring, you can get it turned up to a more acceptable level. It takes about 90 seconds to do, although it does lower the refill life expectancy a bit. I have at least 5-6 of these on hand at any time. I give them to noobs and such as my local wally world carries them for an ironic $3.57 :-)
[Reply]
captain53 12:23 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by 357:
If you remove the adjustment limiter ring, you can get it turned up to a more acceptable level. It takes about 90 seconds to do, although it does lower the refill life expectancy a bit. I have at least 5-6 of these on hand at any time. I give them to noobs and such as my local wally world carries them for an ironic $3.57 :-)
Instructions for that process please, I got a drawer full of them and will give it a try on one.

A little more info on Ronson that I could not remember earlier:

In 2010 the Ronson company gave up and was taken over by the Zippo lighter company who had won the classical lighter war. However, the zippo companies are still keeping the Ronson Lighters company name alive by producing mostly cheap disposable lighters (the Comet) in the Ronson name.
[Reply]
pektel 12:30 PM 06-21-2013
I have to admit, I'm a cheap lighter person. If I'm lighting inside, I use a soft flame Bic. If I'm lighting outside, I use a Ronson. I lose too much stuff to buy expensive lighters. Or sunglasses.

I had a Palio, but can't for the life of me find it after not smoking all winter. I use the knife on my leatherman to cut my cigars now, and frankly it works just fine.

But on topic, agreed that Ronson Jetlites are awesome. They never fail, as long as I purge the lighter before every refill.
[Reply]
DMK 12:55 PM 06-21-2013
I pick up all of those when I find them.
They are a great, cheap, reliable lighter.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up