Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Where to buy a good quality humidor?
stearns 09:14 AM 04-04-2013
Hey Guys,

I've been very happy with my combination of fully stocked vino and b+m locker for overflow boxes for some time now, but my roomate asked me a question I didn't have an answer for; where does one buy a good quality lower priced humidor? I feel like I always see people talking about buying cheapos and having issues, for which I could recommend to him a list of places NOT to buy from. I also see plenty of people getting beautiful, custom crafted boxes that are pure art mixed with function, but that is not what he is looking for either. Therefore, I pose this question to the masses: Where does one go to to buy a desktop humidor without worrying about low quality, while still paying a reasonable price?

According to him, he wantes a 50-100ct. According to me (and for the purpose of this question), he wants a 150-250ct :-). I assume that others have this same question, so I hope this thread helps anyone looking to pick up a new humidor. Thanks for the advice!
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:00 AM 04-04-2013
I would be inclined to go to a B&M where I could look at the humidor before I bought.

The problem is -- if you do not go custom then you are likely gettng a mass-produced box. This is not necessarily bad, but you need to be aware going in what the pitfalls may be.

1) Glass. Glass always looks good, but the seal between the glass and wood is usually not good. A little aquarium-grade silicone sealant can fix this.
2) Mounted Hygrometers. Hygometeters (Analog or Digital) permanently mounted in the humidor (e.g., there is a hole in the box) are another source of leaks. Again easily fixed with some sealant.
3) Lid. Sometines the seal around the lid is not as good as it could be. There are a lot of ways to fix this. I use painters tape.
4) Analog Hygrometers. These look cool, but the low-cost versions usually used are not very accurate.

Good luck!
[Reply]
Lockspur 12:08 PM 04-04-2013
downeastboxes.com is where I ordered mine from. Their custom boxes start at $119. They're no frills, but they're custom.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:28 PM 04-04-2013
I use a couple of basic Savoy units to store misc singles. Have had no issues in 6 years of use. I think mine were from JR in the $50-75 range. :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 12:41 PM 04-04-2013
I own 7 fully serviceable hummies, and I've never "bought" a single one. Places like Thompsons, CI, and JRs have offered on occasion to "give" me one with the purchase of cigars.

Considering the cost of the cigars I can afford to smoke, they are all more than adequate, thank you very much.
[Reply]
lilninjabuddy 05:24 PM 04-04-2013
I think the simple answer is you can't have both. You either get affordable, or you get quality. You get what you pay for, and if you pay $50-$100 for a humi, it's probably Chinese made, and to add to Michael's list of possible isses, its probably has a 1/16" bottom and cheep veneer.

If he truly wants low cost, and perfect function, get a tupperdore, then eventually uograde to a wineador. That's what I have because I can't afford/won't pay for a quality wood humidor.
[Reply]
equetefue 05:43 PM 04-04-2013
Cubancrafters for sure. They look great, construction is top notch, great customer service, and seals great. I have two of the and they were a great buy.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 05:57 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I use a couple of basic Savoy units to store misc singles. Have had no issues in 6 years of use. I think mine were from JR in the $50-75 range. :-)
I would also recommend Savoy. Holts has them as well.
[Reply]
Sadden 08:12 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
X3
I bought one for my buddy. Seals excellent (i went without the glass for obvious reasons).

You need to upgrade the humidifier and thehygro but once thats done your good to go.
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:23 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Originally Posted by Sadden:
X3
I bought one for my buddy. Seals excellent (i went without the glass for obvious reasons).

You need to upgrade the humidifier and thehygro but once thats done your good to go.
X4. Have had mine since 06 and have no complaints. Like Bob, I still use mine for singles.
[Reply]
76GTFan 07:07 PM 04-05-2013
Wal Mart. Get a cooler, then get some beads. Done.
[Reply]
hotreds 07:15 PM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by 76GTFan:
Wal Mart. Get a cooler, then get some beads. Done.
+1x1000. Only way to go! I have 7 coolerdors and they are the best investment I've made. Sure, you maybe want one table top for show, but the rest should be coolerdors.
[Reply]
76GTFan 07:21 PM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by hotreds:
+1x1000. Only way to go! I have 7 coolerdors and they are the best investment I've made. Sure, you maybe want one table top for show, but the rest should be coolerdors.
I have 2 for my boxes and one for my singles that are in stackable cedar trays. Luckily I got a few of the glade oust fans while you could still find them.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 07:25 PM 04-05-2013
Seems like mb the roommate want's something to show "his humi" so that might leave cooler out, I bought my first humi at a B&M and you do pay quite a bit of markup usually, if anything I would look around at a B&M, find a box he likes then order that box online. The B&M will most likely get plenty of business from buying sticks there in the end anyway.

:-)
[Reply]
mcjoe 10:09 PM 04-27-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I would be inclined to go to a B&M where I could look at the humidor before I bought.

4) Analog Hygrometers. These look cool, but the low-cost versions usually used are not very accurate.

Good luck!
Thanks! i will go for digital then.
[Reply]
Garrick 03:20 PM 06-21-2013
I know these guys sell some high quality ones.

http://www.room-33.com/search.php?se...&x=-1297&y=-11
[Reply]
markem 03:26 PM 06-21-2013
One of the things to remember is that a 100-150 ct humidor rarely holds that many. If he isn't worried about looks, get a good quality cooler with a tight seal (not a blown seal, that's a different joke). If he really wants to have something nice to display, have him buy a really nice wood box about the right size and tell him to store his pencils there and his cigars in a cooler. In the long run, he'll thank you.
[Reply]
captain53 03:33 PM 06-21-2013
Several good recommendations mentioned such as Cuban Crafters and building a cooler or wineador, also agree Cheap Never Eqals Good For Humidors. Learned the hard way myself about cheap Humidors.

You did not mention your budget but one of the Brothers right here hand makes some as good as you can find in many different sizes. Prices are certainly in line with his craftsmanship and they are something to be handed down for generations.

http://www.waxingmoonhumidors.com/team
[Reply]
Lockspur 04:30 PM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by Lockspur:
downeastboxes.com is where I ordered mine from. Their custom boxes start at $119. They're no frills, but they're custom.
See my thread for pictures of my box. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:34 AM 06-22-2013
Originally Posted by Garrick:
I know these guys sell some high quality ones.

http://www.room-33.com/search.php?se...&x=-1297&y=-11
"These guys"?
Why not be forthcoming and let us know this is YOUR business.

Feel free to post an intro in our Retailer/Vendor sub-forum. It can be found here.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=116
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up