Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Storing cigars in a Wineador?
smitty81 12:31 PM 03-27-2013
I recently picked up a wineador and had the intentions of putting all my cigars from my humidor into the wineador.

Well......someone recently shared their opinion with me and I was wondering what some of you other guys had thought on the subject.

Here is what he had to say.

"I only pack second rate tobacco in it. My traditional humis are for my creme de la creme brands and ready to smoke picks. I rotate my aging varieties from cooler, fridge and tupperware and other non wooden units into my finely built wooden containers for smoking them during the next few weeks/months ahead. I find that wineadores are mostly eye candy and not really suitable for everyday cigar storage. I rarely smoke a stick out from any of those units. They just don't bring out the flavor I expect from a nicely prepared smoke."

I think I can fit my whole stash in my wineador and was planning to use the humidor as overflow for the time being.

I have enough beads to maintain the wineador but I'm not sure I have enough to maintain both the fridge and the humidor. I wasn't really wanting to buy any more beads as of right now.

Is there any reason at all I should leave my better sticks in my humidor?

Any thoughts guys?
[Reply]
363 12:35 PM 03-27-2013
I have a wineador and have no problems with sticks tasting funny or tasting "off" I got it to move outta my wooden humidors and have since out grown that one also. Hope that helps
[Reply]
Lockspur 12:35 PM 03-27-2013
I think that as long as there is cedar in the wineador, you will be fine. Heck, I smoke sticks fresh out of my coolidor and they taste great. Just store them in cedar cigar boxes and it'll be no different than a premium (giggle) desktop.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:43 PM 03-27-2013
I think that a wine cooler is a fine storage medium. Plenty of people store their cigars in wine coolers -- good cigars -- for years with out any problems.

While cedar can add flavors to cigars it's not required. Cedar is another method of holding in / releasing some moisture, but it is not humidification.

This hobby (like others) has a lot of differing opinions. Give it a shot and see what happens. The wine cooler will certainly not damage your cigars, so you have nothing to lose.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:45 PM 03-27-2013
Sounds like "he" has no clue. :-)
[Reply]
smitty81 12:46 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I think that a wine cooler is a fine storage medium. Plenty of people store their cigars in wine coolers -- good cigars -- for years with out any problems.

While cedar can add flavors to cigars it's not required. Cedar is another method of holding in / releasing some moisture, but it is not humidification.

This hobby (like others) has a lot of differing opinions. Give it a shot and see what happens. The wine cooler will certainly not damage your cigars, so you have nothing to lose.
This is kind of what I was thinking.

I have a handfull of cigars from another place that I was debating on putting in here. I think I will go ahead and do it.

Thanks guys.
[Reply]
smitty81 12:47 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Sounds like "he" has no clue. :-)
well thats why I came to you guys Bob...........I knew you guys would have the right answer.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:51 PM 03-27-2013
I dont make any determination as to the "quality" of my cigars. If I am going to smoke them, they all better be good. I have been using coolers and two 28btl Vinotemps for storage for almost 5 years. I do have some random singles in a desktop just for ease of access. :-)
[Reply]
Remo 12:51 PM 03-27-2013
"I only pack second rate tobacco in it. My traditional humis are for my creme de la creme brands and ready to smoke picks. I rotate my aging varieties from cooler, fridge and tupperware and other non wooden units into my finely built wooden containers for smoking them during the next few weeks/months ahead. I find that wineadores are mostly eye candy and not really suitable for everyday cigar storage. I rarely smoke a stick out from any of those units. They just don't bring out the flavor I expect from a nicely prepared smoke."

"He" has his opinion for sure, sounds straight out of Cigar Aficionado. Don't think any way is the "best" do it how you like :-)
[Reply]
big_jaygee 12:55 PM 03-27-2013
I keep all my cigars in my wineador everything from Gurkha's to CC's. I don't smoke the cigars I pull out right away, I let them sit for 4-24 hours then smoke them.
[Reply]
pnoon 01:42 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by smitty81:
I recently picked up a wineador and had the intentions of putting all my cigars from my humidor into the wineador.

Well......someone recently shared their opinion with me and I was wondering what some of you other guys had thought on the subject.

Here is what he had to say.

I think I can fit my whole stash in my wineador and was planning to use the humidor as overflow for the time being.

I have enough beads to maintain the wineador but I'm not sure I have enough to maintain both the fridge and the humidor. I wasn't really wanting to buy any more beads as of right now.

Is there any reason at all I should leave my better sticks in my humidor?Any thoughts guys?
No.

Whoever told you this, while certainly entitled to his opinion as to what he prefers, has no clue as to the suitability of a wineador as storage. Remo is spot on - sounds just like something/someone from Cigar Aficionado.

Also, his comment about "second rate tobacco" leads me to believe he believes himself to be an authority on what constitutes first rate tobacco. I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert but I can guarantee you my opinions are different than his.

Maybe you've stumbled upon the author of the "Rule of Threes" :-)
[Reply]
markem 01:49 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by smitty81:

So let me get this straight. My very, very expensive hand-built Aristocrat is crap for long term storage and aging? I would be better off with tupperware?

I have no comment.
[Reply]
Lockspur 01:51 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I use the cedar more for aroma than anything. Combined with cigars makes for an outstanding cologne. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:29 PM 03-27-2013
If you clean the winador out well and let it air out there's really no need for cedar, well except for whatever shelves / trays you end up with. I love my winador, I have a Daniel Marshall desktop that was pretty expensive (can I go to your friend's for a play date now?), I use that more for sticks I'm going to smoke soon, I use it as a dry box to a degree, plus it looks nice and nice to just open and pull out one of my first rate cigars.

The winador has many benefits including temp control for people that live in very hot climates, not to mention you can't beat the seal on it for keeping RH where you want it.

Your friend has very strong opinions it seems and he certainly knows everything there is to know about cigars, that being said I'm trying to figure out why such an dapper aficionado would even bother to buy or own second rate ceegars.

Go with the winador you will outgrow it soon enough as it is. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 02:30 PM 03-27-2013
I keep all my creme de la creme brands buried in the backyard.
[Reply]
smitty81 02:41 PM 03-27-2013
Thanks for all the info guys. Just what I wanted to hear.
[Reply]
Lockspur 02:41 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Next to the exes?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:41 PM 03-27-2013
I knew it! Now what did I do with that shovel. :-)
[Reply]
smitty81 02:42 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
In a 8" PVC pipe with a cap on it by chance? :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 02:56 PM 03-27-2013
Originally Posted by Lockspur:
Next to the exes?
I didn't kill those women. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up