Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Dream humidor construction in progress- help?!
Robulous78 02:17 AM 11-26-2012
So to give everyone an idea of where this is heading... on top of this goes another section the same height as the middle, which will have a catch and room for 3- 2 inch deep trays, then an inch thick 4 sided "breadboard" top with 3/4's inch recess and grate for upper humidification, and will have both a lock and a magnetic seal to be extra tight...

The bottom tray catch also leaves 3/4's an inch room for lower humidification as well...

another buckle latch will join the middle section to the top and the next section will have recessed handles as well...
[Reply]
Robulous78 03:47 AM 11-26-2012
FYI -New pictures are 1 page back...
[Reply]
Zane 05:25 AM 11-26-2012
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
FYI -New pictures are 1 page back...
Looking good!
[Reply]
dwoodward 05:03 AM 12-02-2012
1) Anyone know of a good place to get wood? (ha)
2) Does the inside HAVE to be lined with Spanish Cedar? or will just Cedar work? How thick of a lining?
3) Darrell thinks a 1/4 inch wall, and tongue and groove seals separating the compartments will hold humidity, anyone know/have anything to say about this?
4) What beads should I use? everyone on here seems viciously loyal to their bead brands.
1) Anywhere you can get it. My local menards actually sells spanish cedar, it's expensive tho.

2) You can substitute a little mohagany instead of cedar, but your cigars won't get that great cedar smell nor does it protect against worms. Regular cedar isn't very good, it doesn't absorb as well and has a strong woody odor.

3) I can't say for sure since I don't build humidors, but I don't think this would have too much of a problem. I wonder about how far moisture gets absorbed tho, you might have a little loss if it absorbs further than 1/4". PM Waxingmoon on these forums, Ed is pretty knowledgeable, he should know.

4) I'm not going to recommend one brand or another since this always leads to a fight on the forums. But both brands do their job very well. I will say tho that (Disclaimer: IN MY EXPERIENCE) recharging heartfelt beads is far easier than hcm beads, however hcm beads seem to last longer on a single charge, so take your pick.
[Reply]
Zane 10:24 PM 12-02-2012
How is this coming?
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:52 PM 12-02-2012
Originally Posted by ZaneG:
How is this coming?
Going well Zane... Darrel has had a few things come up here and there and the weather hasn't always been with us but he things it will be done around Christmas... Thanks for asking... :-)
[Reply]
Big Bert 08:04 PM 12-05-2012
So far it looks awesome... keep it up!!!
[Reply]
Zane 08:47 PM 01-04-2013
Christmas has come and gone! Where is it!
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:53 PM 01-04-2013
LoL Zane, yea I know... Darrel has had a few hurdles in his life lately that has slowed our progress... His wife underwent an operation that didn't go so well... then an emergency room trip... then a long recovery... He is hoping to make some progress soon... and so am I but as you know, life gets in the way from time to time... let me assure you and everyone else... this project is not forgotten, it will get finished... and there will be more pictures as soon as we get a few more things done...

Thanks for checking in on this, Zane... :-)
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 04:58 AM 01-17-2013
Can't wait to see the finished product. Looks like its going to be a HUGE humidor.
[Reply]
irratebass 08:54 AM 01-17-2013
How about an update Roberto?
[Reply]
Zane 12:31 PM 01-17-2013
Yeah Rob! We all want to see it. I feel like its being made for me I am so excited!
[Reply]
Confuzed 01:31 PM 01-18-2013
I got to this late but you can lay a coat of laquer between the spanish cedar and oak. this will seal the oak. You don't want to do this to your spanish cedar..it would be nasty.

Everything else has been answered really.. If you build one in the future, check your local lumber mills. They will have a larger variety and you won't have to pay department store prices.

You can save money by using a cheaper wood for the outside box and lay veneer over it..still line with spanish cedar or another mahogany, though. You could buy some exotic wood, have your friend use a bandsaw to cut several thin planks and then joint/plane them..this will allow you to save money and use any wood you want for the exterior without breaking the bank.

Looks like it's turning out well. Nice project.
[Reply]
Zane 08:26 AM 01-20-2013
*cough* update *cough*
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:28 AM 01-20-2013
Well... No new news yet... but Darrel did set some time aside for the following week... So hopefully there will be more progress to show soon... :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:46 PM 01-22-2013
Ok... Good news fella's... Darrel's wife is out of the hospital and things are looking up... :-)

Darrel says he is going to get back to work on it soon which should only put this a few weeks from being completed... :-)

I'm excited... :-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 05:36 PM 03-25-2013
Any update?
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:37 PM 03-25-2013
Well... I spoke to Darrel and he says its all assembled and is now being lacquered... shouldn't be much longer I hope...
[Reply]
Zane 07:10 PM 03-25-2013
Well... I spoke to Darrel and he says its all assembled and is now being lacquered... shouldn't be much longer I hope...
Woohoo!
[Reply]
Robulous78 02:11 AM 05-12-2013
So this is a week or 2 late but here is how it all ended up...

[IMG]Image Untitled by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Finish is not what I had in mind, but I must say as the days pass it is growing on me...

The Seasoning process... Lined with 1/4 inch Spanish Cedar... I gave it 1 good wipe with a fresh sponge and distilled water, then left the tupper wear of distilled inside with trays for 3 hours... then gave it one more through rubdown and again left the tupper wear of distilled inside... Notice the magnetic sealer strip Darrell channeled into the top... closes tight like a glove...

The following day I gave the 3 trays 2 separate rubdowns and then removed the tupper wear of distilled and placed the radio controlled weather sensor, verified to be accurate by another hygrometer, inside, allowing me to keep temp and RH tabs wire free and without opening the lid...

Did I mention it has an accessory drawer? :-)

The RH went high but after 3 days settled to a comfortable 65% and held it for 24+ hours...

Before you guys get all crazy...

[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
« First < 345 6 >
Up